There are 270 users in the forums

Minimum Expectations

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Reading as many threads as I do on NinerTalk, it's clear to me that most everybody on this site would be very happy about a trip to the playoffs and a first round exit. But, is that really a cause for celebration? And if that did happen would the coaching staff really have proved anything to us? Consider the following:

1. We really are in a pathetic division. The Rams are hot garbage. The Hawks have a retread "new coach" that has not proven to be a winner at the next level, not to mention they are installing a new offense. And the Cards have lost key players at key positions which is not good for them, considering that we owned them last year.
2. Though we haven't had the desired continuity on offense, we are going into the 5th year of the same defensive scheme with supposedly the right players. Looking at the team’s defensive stats I expect them to be dominating.
3. The offense is without excuse. This is the second year in the same scheme. We have an Oline with 3 first rounders, a high second and Heitman. We have 2 probowls at the skilled positions (VD/Gore) and a sophomore WR that played well beyond anyone’s expectations last year. If Alex can't find a way to dominate with this unit, I don’t want him back next year or at least I want to see us draft/bring in his replacement.
4. We've spent 7 years building this team through the draft and some FA. TIME FOR SOME RETURN ON OUR INVESTMENTS!

I guess what I'm saying in a nutshell is its hard for me to imagine conditions getting much more favorable than they presently are. If this team is worth holding together (Including coaching staff) we should know by the end of the season. I expect us to kick good team’s ass, especially ones that aren't in our division. I dont want us to sneak into the playoffs, I expect us to roar into the playoffs and be this year’s NYJ. Anything else for me is a bust. The last thing that I want is an Alex Smith type team performance, just good enough to leave you with some doubt.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Here we go...
I just don't see why you would be upset if they just made the playoffs and didn't "roar" into the playoffs. And just stating they have 3 1st round o lineman is misleading when 2 guys haven't played a down yet and both may not start right away. But they should win this division imo.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I just don't see why you would be upset if they just made the playoffs and didn't "roar" into the playoffs. And just stating they have 3 1st round o lineman is misleading when 2 guys haven't played a down yet and both may not start right away. But they should win this division imo.

1. Our offensive line was so bad last year there should be improvement without question. Moreover, first round lineman have a positive impact on there team the first year more often than not.
2. "but they should win the division imo" - That is exactly my point. Everybody knows that that the Niners "should" win the division, 75 percent of which is because our division sucks so bad. Therefore, what I'm looking for is our team to show that they are a true playoff team which means they beat good team in other divisions.

To go to the playoffs in a weak division is not worth much to me when we've invested so much time and energy building this thing. The whole point of building a team from the ground up over a number of years is so you are consistently good for a long time and hopefully win a Superbowl somewhere in there. Thats what I'm looking for. If we just wanted to build a team to make the playoffs we probably could have done that in one year through FA.

As it stands, we have already taken so much time building this thing that some of our "core players" from the draft are coming out of their rookie contract and what do we have to show for it? It's like we are going back into FA market even if we did draft the guys.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jul 16, 2010 at 11:48 AM ]
We are the San Francisco 49ers, Success is only measured by winning the Super Bowl.

Anything less is a losing season.
I haven't seen a 49er playoff game in f**king 8 years. I don't give a s**t whether we "roar" into the playoffs or not, I just want that damn streak to END. Once we end that streak we can finally set our eyes on establishing ourselves as a consistent, playoff contending team each year once again!
[ Edited by defenderDX on Jul 16, 2010 at 11:57 AM ]
we'll know where we're at MONDAY Night against the SAINTS.
Originally posted by 209niner:

And I'll be there in section C4 to witness it....
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by 209niner:

And I'll be there in section C4 to witness it....

verry nice
who said anything about a first round exit? if we go we have as good a chance as any of winning the whole thing. i expect singletary's attitude and leadership abilities to take this team to the top if we get into the big dance.

I for one am sick of the ''Blame the O-line" cop out! Look the line was bad because the coaching, play calling, and over all game planning was HORRIBLE! The O-line wasn't as bad as the coaching! This team UNDER achieved last year, and I fully expect to be let down by this coaching staffs lack of talent! 8-8 was a joke last year and we will be about the same this year, we have marginally better talent going into this season, but the same crappy game planning and play calling will KILL this teams chances! 9, or 10 wins at best, IF teams over look us. This coaching staff CAN NOT steal wins! It can barley get the GIMMIES!

Sorry I know it is the off season and I should (and generally do) drink the Kool-Ade!
we played with the "elite" teams. with a steady offence we'll make noise in the playoffs.
hmmmmmmmmm ide rather scrape into playoffs and go to superbowl than blast away all oponants in reg season and get beat soon as we play playoffs
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by lamontb:

1. Our offensive line was so bad last year there should be improvement without question. Moreover, first round lineman have a positive impact on there team the first year more often than not.
2. "but they should win the division imo" - That is exactly my point. Everybody knows that that the Niners "should" win the division, 75 percent of which is because our division sucks so bad. Therefore, what I'm looking for is our team to show that they are a true playoff team which means they beat good team in other divisions.

To go to the playoffs in a weak division is not worth much to me when we've invested so much time and energy building this thing. The whole point of building a team from the ground up over a number of years is so you are consistently good for a long time and hopefully win a Superbowl somewhere in there. Thats what I'm looking for. If we just wanted to build a team to make the playoffs we probably could have done that in one year through FA.

As it stands, we have already taken so much time building this thing that some of our "core players" from the draft are coming out of their rookie contract and what do we have to show for it? It's like we are going back into FA market even if we did draft the guys.

I understand but to me I just can't jump out there and say this team is gonna steam roll b/c the division is lame. IMO until I see it on the field the Niners are right their with the rest of the division minus the Rams. When you have question marks at qb I just can't stamp them. And the qb situation being shaky for the last 5 years is the reason why the rebuild has been taking so long. It doesn't matter that you have young core players getting better when your head coach and qb can't make it work. and the Gm form that era is also out of the door. And yes they really do need to beat good teams from other divisions but progression isn't always instant. I just don't think you can expect it all to click this off season. So to me just making the playoffs maybe beating one or 2 good teams from other division will be good enough for me. But I do understand your point just give them some time to make it work on the field. It's good so say this should make the team better but we won't know til they play. I mean we can say 1st round o lineman make an impact but what if they drafted the wrong guys. no way to tell til they play.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
I haven't seen a 49er playoff game in f**king 8 years. I don't give a s**t whether we "roar" into the playoffs or not, I just want that damn streak to END. Once we end that streak we can finally set our eyes on establishing ourselves as a consistent, playoff contending team each year once again!

As corny as this might sound I guess there is a philisophical diffrence here. I truly believe that almost any team can become a playoff team over night in this era of free agency. But, I also believe that is not the reciepe for continued sucesss. So as a fan I've been willing to sit through losing season after losing season by telling myself that this is all for the greater good of building the team the right way. IMO, we have arrrived. What I mean by that is we pretty much have the core players we are going to have and there are no glaring weakness even if our team isn't perfect. So to come all this way only to find out that our team is only good enough to sneak into the playoffs would be a great disappointment for me.

P.S. I also think that a development progress of a good football team is not nearly as linear as most of you make it. I haven't looked at the stats, but I'm pretty sure many teams in the playoffs over the last 10 years have gone from complete losers (4-12, 6-10) to overnight winners (11-5, 10-6, 12-4). That that we have slowly progress (2-14, 4-12, 7-9, 8-8) is probably a bad thing.
Share 49ersWebzone