LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 452 users in the forums

Passing attempts per game we ranked 21st in the NFL

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,500 for Dominate.
How many passes a game should we be attempting in order to move this offense effectively?

We avg 33.0 att a game last year which ranked us 21st in the NFL. Do we need to pass more, less or stay the same? Keep in mind we were behind in alot of games last year so we were forced to pass to close out games.

Discuss......
Ideally lower than that. Like 25-30 att/game.

That way, the running game will take over in the second half and we wear out the opposing defense with a stout running attack.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

That way, the running game will take over in the second half and we wear out the opposing defense with a stout running attack.

25 to 30 attempted passes per game would mean 400 to 480 total passes attempted.

Just six teams attempted fewer than 480 passes in 2009. Of those six, only the New York Jets and Cincinnati Bengals went to the playoffs. The combined record of the six teams was 46-50. None of these teams finished within the top 15 in the NFL in scoring.

If the 49ers are moving the ball and scoring, they'll attempt around 550 passes in 2010. Any extreme amount up or down will likely spell inconsistency.
Originally posted by redrathman:

25 to 30 attempted passes per game would mean 400 to 480 total passes attempted.

Just six teams attempted fewer than 480 passes in 2009. Of those six, only the New York Jets and Cincinnati Bengals went to the playoffs. The combined record of the six teams was 46-50. None of these teams finished within the top 15 in the NFL in scoring.

If the 49ers are moving the ball and scoring, they'll attempt around 550 passes in 2010. Any extreme amount up or down will likely spell inconsistency.

Ok, that's reasonable. Completion % is also a factor too, but I see your point. It is a QB driven league after all.
45-55% of our plays should be pass plays.

and our number would probably much higher if we could manage to get a f**king first down every now and then!
[ Edited by SybErkRimInAL on Jul 15, 2010 at 3:58 PM ]
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
and our number would probably much higher if we could manage to get a f**king first down every now and then!

Third down percentage was part of the problem in 2009. The 49ers ranked 29th in the NFL with a 30% conversion rate on third down. Also, the 49ers ranked 31st in plays from scrimmage with 939. If the offense converts third downs and moves the ball, both of these statistics will improve.
I do like stats!
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
45-55% of our plays should be pass plays.

We need to work on that as well. Last year we only had 939 plays from scrimmage. That ranks 31st in the NFL in front of only Buffalo(911).

50% of 939 passing plays would be only 470 passing att a year which would have ranked us 29th in the NFL last year.

We actually passed on 528 of our 939 total plays last year(56%).
[ Edited by Dominate on Jul 15, 2010 at 4:14 PM ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
I do like stats!

this stat is misleading though. our run game is ranked really bad, therefore we have fewer downs offensively, therefore our passing attempts per game will also be lower. Also, it depends on how good your defense is. If the opposing team is always on the field, then your passing attempts per game will also be low. Also, if your defense sucks, then you'll be in a desparation pass mode for most of the game and this stat will be artificially inflated.

I think a much more representative statistic is % passing downs. At the end of the day, I just want Smith to have a passer rating in the 90's and I want us to win games. I also want Jimmy Raye to either grow a pair or go collect Social Security.
Going into this year I think we'll be able to run the ball, control the clock and open up a play action game that we haven't had since Norv the c*ntface. Whether that happens or not isn't important though. What's important is that we find what we do well and use it to win games. If we sit in the damn shotgun all day like the Pats then I'm cool with it; as long as we're winning games.

Always nice to see the team setting goals for themselves and trying to establish a style, but ultimately you are what you are and fighting against the current is completely pointless.

If we're a spread offense then so be it; we drafted a spread QB. As long as we keep evolving then the run pass mix really shouldn't matter as long as we're doing what we want...but I really want us to run the ball 60/40 coupled with a lot of PA/PA roll outs lol! Come on right tackle! TE's can't babysit yer ass for the rest of your career. We got enough tackles, 1's bound to pan out in our 2nd year under the same system.

Gotta admit, it feels good knowing we can sling the ball around when we get in a pinch.

Share 49ersWebzone