LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 167 users in the forums

His Best Game? #1: Dashon Goldson, S

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonnydellfan:
Originally posted by PreseasonChamps:
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Since this offseason is sooooooooo boring, let's look back at some our favorite players' careers and think of the BEST game a player has had. I'll do a new player every couple days, as I see fit.

I wanted to start off with a relatively easy one, Dashon Goldson! I think his best game was the MNF game last season against the Cardinals. He had 5 tackles, an INT, and 2 forced fumbles.

He showed a lot of physicality and playmaking ability in that game, which is why we bumped him up to starter over Mark Roman. Looking forward to see how he improves for the upcoming season. I'm expecting a lot because the FS is a very mental job and he's decent a good amount of experience now.

If you agree with this, please say so, but if not, please post what YOU think is his best game.

Unfortunately, he was sucking during those other games.

His stats across the board(tackles, INT's, passes defended, forced fumbles) put him in the upper echelon of safeties last year....

Antrel Rolle got a huge deal based upon his "pro bowl" performance last year, which, statistically, wasn't as good as Goldson's

Tackles: Goldson 94 - Rolle 72
INT's: Goldson 4 - Rolle 4
Pass Def: Goldson 10 - Rolle 12
Sacks: Goldson 2 - Rolle 1.5
Forced Fumbles: Goldson 3 - Rolle 0

Also some notables:
Ed Reed: Tackles: 50, INT's - 3, Pdef - 8, sacks - 0, FF - 3
Antoine Bethea: Tackles - 95, INT's - 4, Pdef - 9, sacks - 0, FF - 2
Darren Sharper: Tackles - 71, INT's - 9, Pdef - 24, sacks - .5, FF - 0
Kerry Rhodes: Tackles - 63, INT's - 3, Pdef - 16, sacks - 0, FF - 1

well when you put it that way..... those are some amazing stats. . But I have liked goldson but i don't think he needs as much money as he wants.
His Worst Game: Atlanta
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Since this offseason is sooooooooo boring, let's look back at some our favorite players' careers and think of the BEST game a player has had. I'll do a new player every couple days, as I see fit.

I wanted to start off with a relatively easy one, Dashon Goldson! I think his best game was the MNF game last season against the Cardinals. He had 5 tackles, an INT, and 2 forced fumbles.

He showed a lot of physicality and playmaking ability in that game, which is why we bumped him up to starter over Mark Roman. Looking forward to see how he improves for the upcoming season. I'm expecting a lot because the FS is a very mental job and he's decent a good amount of experience now.

If you agree with this, please say so, but if not, please post what YOU think is his best game.

His stats across the board(tackles, INT's, passes defended, forced fumbles) put him in the upper echelon of safeties last year....

Antrel Rolle got a huge deal based upon his "pro bowl" performance last year, which, statistically, wasn't as good as Goldson's

Also some notables:

well when you put it that way..... those are some amazing stats. . But I have liked goldson but i don't think he needs as much money as he wants.

Ed Reed's numbers are so low because they don't throw at his side / part of the field any more
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

Also some notables:

Ed Reed's numbers are so low because they don't throw at his side / part of the field any more

That's why I think defensive back statistics are overrated, but more so for cornerbacks. Conceivably a CB can completely shutdown a WR to the point that the WR is catch-less, he could possibly have 0 TKLs, 0 INTs, 0 FFs, and maybe 1 or 2 passes defensed. The passes defensed stat isn't even a widely used stat. So it's tough to evaluate DBs.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Also some notables:

And he did miss 4 games last year.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

He showed a lot of physicality and play making ability in that game, which is why we bumped him up to starter over Mark Roman. Looking forward to see how he improves for the upcoming season. I'm expecting a lot because the FS is a very mental job and he's decent a good amount of experience now.

Also some notables:

reed is worlds better then DS when healthy and way better with a bum hip. it's real nice to compare players stats and they do matter however, imho there's that part of a players game that can't be measured by personal stats (it's the proven threat
of their ability that make them nervous) it's the proper angles that he takes; the correct adjustments; the ability to read and know the play and almost seem to be everywhere.

the az game was clearly his best game but like i said above.....be nice to see him around longer to see if he can do better though
Originally posted by Allx9er:

He showed a lot of physicality and play making ability in that game, which is why we bumped him up to starter over Mark Roman. Looking forward to see how he improves for the upcoming season. I'm expecting a lot because the FS is a very mental job and he's decent a good amount of experience now.

Also some notables:

reed is worlds better then DS when healthy and way better with a bum hip. it's real nice to compare players stats and they do matter however, imho there's that part of a players game that can't be measured by personal stats (it's the proven threat
of their ability that make them nervous) it's the proper angles that he takes; the correct adjustments; the ability to read and know the play and almost seem to be everywhere.

the az game was clearly his best game but like i said above.....be nice to see him around longer to see if he can do better though
I agree to everything said in rebuttle to my complete grenade thowing of stats :). My point, was simply to say that Goldson had a very solid year when there were those saying he only had 1 good game.

When people talk about the top Safeties in the league Ed Reed, Troy Palamalu and Nick Collins; after those guys it's kind of up in the air. Will he be an Ed Reed? No, Reed is a once a decade type of player. But, comparing stats from Rolle to Goldson is not unfair. Rolle had Adrian Wilson playing on the other side in a 3-4 system which makes less of a disparity between the roles of the safeties. So, for Goldson to expect a contract like Rolle's is not unrealistic(you better believe agents take stats into consideration when negotiating contracts). Julius Peppers just got a ridiculous contract this offseason because he had 16 sacks. Even though it is widely known around the league that once he gets a sack he pretty much disappears for the rest of the game. Or, if he does get 2 sacks in a game, he'll take the next game off.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by nicedraw94080:
Originally posted by Niners99:
you mean his only great game?

Goldson cant cover, and isnt a fundamentally sound tackler. he doesnt deserve any big contract yet. some of you guys need to quit being such homers and admit hes way too raw to rave about yet.

waaaaay better than mark Roman, the safety he replaced.

LOL. I think that since we've had Mark Roman for so long, everybody has forgotten what a good FS plays like. So in comes Goldson and now he's the second coming of Ronnie Lott.
But yes, Goldson had a great MNF game.

-9fA

2nd coming of #42 ????Bwaahahahaha

Mark Roman WAS a good safety. In what universe ?

DGoldson's is young,humble,athletic and has all the tools in becoming someone special. He hits like a linebacker and has a nose for the football.A playmaker. A game changer. Not since Merton Hanks & Tim McDonald have I been comfortable with our safety corp.

and if Taylor Mays becomes the steal of the 2010 draft....

Also some notables:

I agree to everything said in rebuttle to my complete grenade thowing of stats :). My point, was simply to say that Goldson had a very solid year when there were those saying he only had 1 good game.

When people talk about the top Safeties in the league Ed Reed, Troy Palamalu and Nick Collins; after those guys it's kind of up in the air. Will he be an Ed Reed? No, Reed is a once a decade type of player. But, comparing stats from Rolle to Goldson is not unfair. Rolle had Adrian Wilson playing on the other side in a 3-4 system which makes less of a disparity between the roles of the safeties. So, for Goldson to expect a contract like Rolle's is not unrealistic(you better believe agents take stats into consideration when negotiating contracts). Julius Peppers just got a ridiculous contract this offseason because he had 16 sacks. Even though it is widely known around the league that once he gets a sack he pretty much disappears for the rest of the game. Or, if he does get 2 sacks in a game, he'll take the next game off.

Good stats. I guess the only thing that I would be curious about is the consistency. Someone can have really solid stats, but maybe those numbers where collected in a game or two. I think Brooks may be a good example of that. Brooks had a monster night when we played the Cards, but is that the kind performance we will see week in and week out? Time will tell.
Not to mention that day Goldson deflected a pass covering Fitzgerald that almost bent Fitz' Leg like a pretzel.

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Also some notables:

Good stats. I guess the only thing that I would be curious about is the consistency. Someone can have really solid stats, but maybe those numbers where collected in a game or two. I think Brooks may be a good example of that. Brooks had a monster night when we played the Cards, but is that the kind performance we will see week in and week out? Time will tell.

Goldson's year was very indicative of a first year starter. He started out pretty well in the first couple games, then, after teams had a substantial amount of film on him, they go for weaknesses. Then he began to really come on the last 6-7 games or so.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Niners99:
you mean his only great game?

Goldson cant cover, and isnt a fundamentally sound tackler. he doesnt deserve any big contract yet. some of you guys need to quit being such homers and admit hes way too raw to rave about yet.

waaaaay better than mark Roman, the safety he replaced.

LOL. I think that since we've had Mark Roman for so long, everybody has forgotten what a good FS plays like. So in comes Goldson and now he's the second coming of Ronnie Lott.
But yes, Goldson had a great MNF game.

-9fA

2nd coming of #42 ????Bwaahahahaha

Mark Roman WAS a good safety. In what universe ?

DGoldson's is young,humble,athletic and has all the tools in becoming someone special. He hits like a linebacker and has a nose for the football.A playmaker. A game changer. Not since Merton Hanks & Tim McDonald have I been comfortable with our safety corp.

and if Taylor Mays becomes the steal of the 2010 draft....

I guess you weren't around for the comments about Goldson right after the MNF game.

I understand though, after every loss, we're usually very pessimistic and after every win, we're overly optimistic.

-9fA

Also some notables:

True, Goldson had one of the best years among all safeties in the nfl.....so if he isn't that good in coverage, well neither are the other safeties, even the ones in the pro bowl, especially from the nfc. He is a top ten safety probably 9th or 10th based on last years performance. The difference is, goldson only started his first year and has room for improvement and some other safeties are already at their ceiling
Originally posted by elguapo:

Also some notables:

True, Goldson had one of the best years among all safeties in the nfl.....so if he isn't that good in coverage, well neither are the other safeties, even the ones in the pro bowl, especially from the nfc. He is a top ten safety probably 9th or 10th based on last years performance. The difference is, goldson only started his first year and has room for improvement and some other safeties are already at their ceiling

Couldn't have said it better myself. Goldson's ceiling is pretty high. Plus, the entire defense is coming back with no changes to the starters. Which means the unit as a whole will have worked with each other a lot and be very gel'd.
That MNF game we should of blown them out 41-0. Our O was just as terrible as theirs, except out D brought the wood. We had one good play, that Crabtree catch.
Share 49ersWebzone