There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We haven't had a balanced attack in over 8 years

Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
balanced attack = winning football

last 8 seasons, not winning football. Pretty easy correlation.

Not all the time bud. The Pats pass almost every down. The NFL has changed, passing teams have better, more efficient offenses now, usually.

With Hill starting, you almost had to be a running offense. After Smith tore it up the 2nd half of HOU almost all of us wanted an open offense. Raye should have a better feel this year...

Lets at least hit preseason before the hatorade comes out.

It's better to have balance though. The difference between the Saints and the Colts and Pats is that the Saints can run the ball and then pass out of center. Colts and Pats have become too one dimensial and have to rely on the Shotgun way too much.

The one thing we need to have is a vertical passing game though. It's no coincedence that the bottom 13 teams in YPC all missed the playoffs.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 13, 2010 at 7:21 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Tell that to the Colts

Good thing we are the 49ers

P.S.
They had a balanced attack when they won the SB.

Addai and Kerry Rhodes were beasting.

No, they didn't.

557 passing attempts, 439 rushing attempts.

Colts had an average rushing attack (18th) when they won the Super Bowl. They did have a balanced attack during those playoffs though.

And weren't they last in rushing this year and still went to the Super Bowl??
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kingairta:
Originally posted by Antix:
Originally posted by kingairta:
OMG another anti Raye thread. Season hasn't started and we are already in the s**tter. Nice outlook on having the same coordinator 2 years in a row and a legit reciever and possibly to beastly linemen for a change.

Yep we're gonna stink up the NFL this year. Call the commish and tell him we forfit the year.

I dont think he was being doom and gloom. Just pointing out a trend he's noticed.

As far as a balanced attack goes, we need better play out of our QB. We got the RB but we haven't been able to generate enough big plays out of the passing games to keep Ds honest.

We have no shortage of playmakers and an offense in its second year for the first time. Ultimately it will come down to the QB. And unlike most others here I will not take this time to either bash or slurp Alex Smith.

I think it's an anti raye thread vieled as a lack of a balanced attack.

But what do I know. I'm going off of the OPs last two sentances in the first post.

Yeah..i saw them. I guess I just ignored them and focused more on the balanced attack thing.

Rayes our OC whether we like it or not. We left a lot of plays on the field last year a lot of which weren't Rayes fault.

If Raye can learn not to have Gore run into the teeth of the defense in obvious situations i think we're fine..thats my biggest gripe with Raye
i think we keep raye just to keep continuity on offense more so than having a very good oc. even if he is above average, we keep him b/c our offense improves regardless, and he just is forced to make some better calls/plays if he is under any heat from the management....so he keeps his job by default
What's with the change the offense talk again. Did we not see improvement from the year previous? We're never gonna get anywhere if we keep F'n with the play book and leadership. Co-ordinators have to learn how to use the tools at their disposal just like players need to learn how to play along side one another. Just relax,it'll happen. I promise you we're close.

Don't get me wrong, this semi new O-line needs to learn a lot faster than they have been. If that's not on the coaching staff then I don't know what is. Either the lineman are too dumb and un-talented to pull off our blocking schemes or Raye's system is flawed;either way, you don't scrap everything and start from scratch. We bail on it now and it'll be another 2 or 3 years of re-learning how to play .500 ball.
Raye's the best O.C. you'll see here for awhile.

-Raye's cheap

-Raye likely won't leave in a year or two to go coach the Packers or Chargers

-Raye's becoming more versatile.When running the ball doesn't work that week,instead of run, run, playaction, he goes into the ''RayeGun.'' Nothing but A.Smith Utah Shotgun passing.

-Raye did pretty well with a crappy oline last year. With two solid gargoyles as mothafu*in tanks defending A.Smith in Lupati and A.Davis, Raye and Smith can do nothing but better.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
balanced attack = winning football

last 8 seasons, not winning football. Pretty easy correlation.

Not all the time bud. The Pats pass almost every down. The NFL has changed, passing teams have better, more efficient offenses now, usually.

With Hill starting, you almost had to be a running offense. After Smith tore it up the 2nd half of HOU almost all of us wanted an open offense. Raye should have a better feel this year...

Lets at least hit preseason before the hatorade comes out.

It's better to have balance though. The difference between the Saints and the Colts and Pats is that the Saints can run the ball and then pass out of center. Colts and Pats have become too one dimensial and have to rely on the Shotgun way too much.

The one thing we need to have is a vertical passing game though. It's no coincedence that the bottom 13 teams in YPC all missed the playoffs.
Tell him "kyle william!! Booo!!!!
Play calling late in the championship game left a lot to be desired. All pass and no run. Where was Frank Gore in this biggest stage of his career. I believe there is something wrong with Frank they should have rode him more today or should I say rode the running game more with both he and Kendall Hunter. Oh well, back to the drawing board looking for wide receivers i the draft. At least we can put the QB search to rest. GO NINERS!
Playcalling was awful. In the Eagles game, we came back because we continued to pound the rock. I'm just so baffled.
Yep, we'll be drafting WR in rounds 1-7 LOL
Our offense wasn't so hot today...but, other than Vernon, who did Alex have to throw to? Gore did gain some yards on the ground, but in the 4th qtr and OT, not much. It's easy to point fingers and say we should've done this, or that, but with a limited offense we still came within a hare of going to the SB. For sure, there's work to be done on offense...and with a complete off-season and some more receivers for Alex, Harbaugh will get it done. This was a great turnaround season...the red 'n gold is back. Considering Harbaugh had to start totally from scratch, he did a remarkable job getting the team this far. So, pls...stop the whining and tip your caps to the Giants...they beat us fair and square.