LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

Is our Perfect 5-0 Super Bowl record in Jeopardy anytime soon?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is our Perfect 5-0 Super Bowl record in Jeopardy anytime soon?

Originally posted by kingairta:
The 5-0 is a little over rated. 5 championships over how long? I'll take each and every appearance in the big game the team can get. You can only win the game if you get there.

5-0 use to mean something. But now there is a team with 6 wins the 5-0 is just another stat. Nothing special.

That team is 6-1 though... IMO 5-0 > 6-1
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
If we get to the Superbowl in the next five years, then yes, our 5-0 record is in jeopardy. But even if we make it in 25 years, our 5-0 record will still be in jeopardy. There are no "gimmes" in the Super Bowl.

Agreed. And for this reason, I'd rather the 49ers play in the Superbowl and lose than not get there at all.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
If we get to the Superbowl in the next five years, then yes, our 5-0 record is in jeopardy. But even if we make it in 25 years, our 5-0 record will still be in jeopardy. There are no "gimmes" in the Super Bowl.

Agreed. And for this reason, I'd rather the 49ers play in the Superbowl and lose than not get there at all.

-9fA

ide like 49ers to be in superbowl every year win or lose it would be stability and would make 49ers number 1 with consistancy than have a 5-0 record
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I find that stat to be extremely overrated. I'd take a 6-6 Super Bowl record over a 5-0.

There's not 1 loser every season there's 31 losers, and if you want to be that winner you have to risk losing that game.

You obviously want the chance to win it all, but as a fan I would be muuuch more disappointed losing the SB and staining our record than I would be if we lost the NFC. I would NEVER choose it, but it would suck less.

The teams SB record is one of the upper echelon records that the team has imo. There are some that just seem to mean more, and to me, thats one of them.

Outside of us nobody cares about the 5-0 Super Bowl record. All it tells people is we've only been to the Bowl five times while other franchises have been there 7 and 8 times. There's a reason why pretty much everybody puts Pittsburgh ahead of us historically. They got more rings. Nobody cares about their one loss. No one but us and Dallas brings it up.

That 4-0 stretch during the 80s is only matched by Pittsburgh and clearly states why we had one of the best dynasties and best organizations ever. Nothing is going to change that. A Super Bowl loss 20 years later isn't going to tarnish that. I just don't understand this kind of thinking here. I don't care if we're playing a 16-0 team that beat us 45-0 earlier in the year I want that oppurtunity to win the big one.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 13, 2010 at 4:59 PM ]
Originally posted by dobophile:
Originally posted by zozell:
Originally posted by kingairta:
The 5-0 is a little over rated. 5 championships over how long? I'll take each and every appearance in the big game the team can get. You can only win the game if you get there.

5-0 use to mean something. But now there is a team with 6 wins the 5-0 is just another stat. Nothing special.

That team is 6-1 though... IMO 5-0 > 6-1

Disagree.

6 SB victories is better than 5 SB victories, no matter how many losses are involved. Losing at the SB is better than not going to the SB.

Well, technically 5-0 = 6-1. But yeah, I would rather have been to the big game 7 times than 5. It signifies that the franchise has been more successful.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
The 5-0 record is kinda cool but the only people who care are niners fans. Ill take 8 superbowls in 13 appearances over 5 in 5 appearances.

If were gonna lose Id rather lose in the SB. Yeah it would suck but our perfect record in the SB means nothing really. Now if it turns out we were to go 7-0 or 8-0 then id change my mind, but for now who cares?
F@(! that id rather be 5-0 than know what it feels like to lose the championship. I know that feeling with the Giants no way I want that with my beloved Niners
Everybody that voted "no" also voted that the 49ers wont make it to the super bowl soon, 64% of niner fans suck.
[ Edited by cooljon16 on Jul 13, 2010 at 6:53 PM ]
I hope the 5-0 is in Jeopardy this season. 6-0 Sounds great.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
There's not 1 loser every season there's 31 losers, and if you want to be that winner you have to risk losing that game.

This.

There's not a person on the roster that I'd trust if we got to the SB. With that said, I doubt we'll get there anytime soon...
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
no. we wont be seeing a SB for at least another 5 years.

Really?
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Are you serious? We will never see a super bowl while this guy is running the offense.

Let's get there and then worry about it. Better yet, let's get to the playoffs first. Better yet, let's have a winning record first.
actually there were plenty of gimmies in the super bowl just ask most of the nfc teams in the 80's and 90's....whoever won the nfc championship usually won the superbowl....niners, dallas, gb, wash, bears and so on and so on.

i would be pissed off if we lost and we ruined our 5-0 record especially if we made it this year, i would be thrilled but would expect to probably lose to the colts....which would of not been the case with most of our other teams.
Share 49ersWebzone