LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

Do the 49ers have the best LB corps in the NFL

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Snider8706:
NFL network analyst Charles Davis thinks we might.

They listed the steelers,ravens,cowboys,and 49ERS!!

i believe we have a top 5 LB core, and a top 10 Defense.

Believe it or not, but our front 7 might be our strength finally.

We have a all pro ILB(Willis), solid Pass Rushers at OLB(Haralson, Lawson and Brooks), great mentor at the other ILB Spot(Spikes), Justin Smith is IMO one of no the best 3-4 DE in the game.

Then Franklin is a top notch NT, just need to iron out a new DE opposite Smith, maybe
in the draft or FA.

The secondary is also solid, not great, but not
terrible.

Nate, Spencer, Lewis, Goldson and Brown are all
solid, Mays is an unknown. While im scared by
depth.

is William James and/or Karl Paymah really the
answer over Bly or Harris. Or how about Reggie
Smith, Taylor, etc...

Just one point. Are Haralson and Lawson really solid pass rushers? Brooks, hopefully.

far from it
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by GORO:
We need more pass rush from the outside to be considered top 5

But we do, we had 17.5 sacks from our OLBs. Plus the production from our DEs, there's the pass rush. And now that Brooks will be more integrated into our defense, you can expect more from him. I cant imagine that Harralson and Lawson's numbers will drop either.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

But we do, we had 17.5 sacks from our OLBs. Plus the production from our DEs, there's the pass rush. And now that Brooks will be more integrated into our defense, you can expect more from him. I cant imagine that Harralson and Lawson's numbers will drop either.

True but rarely did you ever see any of them flying off the ball after the snap and just bringing some instant heat besides some of Brooks sacks. Lamarr Woodley had 13.5 sacks by himself last year. That's the type of player that is really missing from this 3-4. Harrison has a break out year, which makes other teams have to game plan for him creating greater opportunities for Woodley and others. Niners just missing that guy that opens it up for all. We'll see if Brooks can become that guy. They stepped it up last year with total team sacks. But let's not forget they ate pretty well off the Rams, Cards, and Sea hawks. When playing better teams you need to have a guy who can just beat and outwork the opponent and not scheme. It's improving no doubt but it isn't there yet imo.
The Steeler do, IMO, especially among the 3-4 defenses.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Not the best, but definitely in the top 10. If we didn't have Willis, I'd say 11-15. Spikes I think is a pretty good Ted, few out there are better.

nope. top 5

Why top 5, our OLB's are inconsistent at getting to the QB's. Top 5 LB's have atleast one good pass-rusher. Sure they might be good this year, but its what they've shown so far.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

True but rarely did you ever see any of them flying off the ball after the snap and just bringing some instant heat besides some of Brooks sacks. Lamarr Woodley had 13.5 sacks by himself last year. That's the type of player that is really missing from this 3-4. Harrison has a break out year, which makes other teams have to game plan for him creating greater opportunities for Woodley and others. Niners just missing that guy that opens it up for all. We'll see if Brooks can become that guy. They stepped it up last year with total team sacks. But let's not forget they ate pretty well off the Rams, Cards, and Sea hawks. When playing better teams you need to have a guy who can just beat and outwork the opponent and not scheme. It's improving no doubt but it isn't there yet imo.

You're absolutely right that we don't have a OLB which teams have to gameplan against. Brooks may be that guy, but having a steady dose of rush from all sides is what Manusky wants anyway. So ideally, if we could squeeze out 2 or 3 more sacks from each guy, the total effect would be much greater on both our Defense and Offense. Plus having OLBs that can set the edge prevents teams from running all over us, therefore putting them in passing situations which will again lead to more sacks.

And to your point about most of the gaudy numbers coming from the bottom feeders, well... At least we are taking care of business when we need to. But in order to take the next step to legit contender, we have to steal games from the elite teams.
I don't know about 5 top. If you take Willis off the team, ouch....nobody would consider Lawson, Haralson, Spikes, top 10 or even top 15. We are around 7-10.
All you non-top 5er's are smoking something... the one thing that detracts from our LB core is a sack artist, so what? we have guys that are good at rushing the passer just not "great". But we also have guys that can drop in coverage, Manny. We have the best ILB in the game currently. We have a solid vet in Spikes who is a good Ted. PH is solid, and Brooks "could" break out, he has the talent.

We showed we can get sacks from any of our linebackers, but we dont have a ware or harrison. Who on those defenses can drop in coverage? Who on those defenses have LB's faster than allot of the RB's in the league. Everyone wants a sack artist but who gives a sh*t if one player can total double digit sacks. We have a complete core where each LB is a potential threat, and O-lines can't constantly shift to the sack artists side. I'm not saying I wouldn't love Brooks to turn into Ware, but people put way too much emphasis on sack stats, take a step back and look at the group collectively and not just the players individually.
what do you guys rank them if you don't consider them top 5? and who do you put ahead of them?
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
I don't know about 5 top. If you take Willis off the team, ouch....nobody would consider Lawson, Haralson, Spikes, top 10 or even top 15. We are around 7-10.

Take Demarcus Ware off of Dallas or James Farrior off of Pittsburgh and they wouldn't be too stellar either.

They're definitely top5 in the league, now that Brooks has elevated his game.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
One of the best, for you guys whining about sacks from the edge, we were in the top three in sacks last year. Having one guy that gets all the sacks is overrated, it is better to not let the opponent know where it is coming from, much harder to defend against.

That's 3 in "team sacks." But bottom of the pack in terms of sack production from the OLB's compared to other 3-4 teams. IF we can get bigger production from the OLB's AND continue to scheme in team-sacks AND do this consistently (bigger issue), I'd consider us in the top 5 for sure! Our benchmark is and has always been Pittsburgh.
We may not have a dominate pass rusher but if you stop looking at one players sack stats and look at team stats we were fantastic as a unit. So the fact that we don't have a dominate pass rusher shouldn't keep us out of conversation for best lb corps. besides we have the best mike ilb and the best ted ilb. name a more versatile olb than
manny lawson. just saying.
Originally posted by 5280High:
All you non-top 5er's are smoking something... the one thing that detracts from our LB core is a sack artist, so what? we have guys that are good at rushing the passer just not "great". But we also have guys that can drop in coverage, Manny. We have the best ILB in the game currently. We have a solid vet in Spikes who is a good Ted. PH is solid, and Brooks "could" break out, he has the talent.

We showed we can get sacks from any of our linebackers, but we dont have a ware or harrison. Who on those defenses can drop in coverage? Who on those defenses have LB's faster than allot of the RB's in the league. Everyone wants a sack artist but who gives a sh*t if one player can total double digit sacks. We have a complete core where each LB is a potential threat, and O-lines can't constantly shift to the sack artists side. I'm not saying I wouldn't love Brooks to turn into Ware, but people put way too much emphasis on sack stats, take a step back and look at the group collectively and not just the players individually.

i seem to remember harrison with a 100 yard int return for a td in the sb, hows that for dropping into coverage?
also being a good pass rusher is not just getting sacks, getting pressure on the qb and messing up his timing can be equally as effective if not more because ints> sacks
[ Edited by deep2crab on Jul 11, 2010 at 8:45 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone