LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

Charles Davis Top 5 TEs on NFL Network

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Vernon Davis #1
Vernon is good but hes not great. He still drops balls and he consistently runs bad routes. We all know his positives but he still has enough negatives to not warrant him a top 5
VD is a top 5 te but no way he is #1 after 1 good season, he needs to cut down on the drops and false start penalties, in all honesty u cant go wrong with any of the top 5 tight ends, i am just happy he is on the short list of best tight ends in football, we all expected this after we picked him #6
The problem with lists is they usually don't address/account for blocking...out of this list, Vernon's definitely the #1 blocking TE. Couple that with his receiving, he should be minimum top 3. Gonzalez is on the decline...Finley hasn't been around long enough as an elite receiving TE to beat out Vernon, IMHO.
I know that Davis had issues catching the ball early in his career, but now I think the issue is way over blown. True he is not a natural pass catcher, but the guy can catch the ball. In fact, a lot of his catches where pretty amazing for a tight end. I do think that once in a while he folds under pressure, like the one game where he dropped the ball in the end zone which would of surly won us the game (Cant remember the game).

I have no problems with the list.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I know that Davis had issues catching the ball early in his career, but now I think the issue is way over blown. True he is not a natural pass catcher, but the guy can catch the ball. In fact, a lot of his catches where pretty amazing for a tight end. I do think that once in a while he folds under pressure, like the one game where he dropped the ball in the end zone which would of surly won us the game (Cant remember the game).

i believe he dropped more passes than anyone last year in the league, so while it may be over blown, as long as he is leading the league or close to it, ppl will continue to harp on it and rightfully so
i believe charles davis can suck a chode. hes probably just saying that so VD will drop and he can get him in his fantasy draft
I don't get why Charles Davis would be so far off on this, he's a smart guy he knows football. I don't get it, I mean for Finley to be on the list to begin with is a joke and VD is at the least the 2nd best TE in the NFL.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I'm hard on VD b/c he still drops too many friggin passes when he shouldn't (see: seahawks game), but you can't score 13 TDs and not be considered a top 5 TE.
Originally posted by crabman82:

i believe he dropped more passes than anyone last year in the league, so while it may be over blown, as long as he is leading the league or close to it, ppl will continue to harp on it and rightfully so

I tried to look for the list that had Davis and Crabtree ranking pretty high in dropped balls, but I couldn't find it. Do you know where it is?

If I remember correctly there are a lot of guys at the top, with the diffrence in dropped balls being like one to five (tops). In other words, its not like Davis had 20 dropped balls and other guys had 10. It was more like 9 and other big names had 8 or 7. In that case, its not that big of a deal. The other thing I think that needs to be considered is percentage of dropped balls, not pure numbers. The bottom line is outside of the one Seahawks play, Davis has been pretty money.The other thing that needs to be considered is the difficulty level of his catches. He caught a ton of deep balls, not dink and dunk passes.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jul 7, 2010 at 3:02 PM ]

f**kin dumbass
Originally posted by crabman82:

I tried to look for the list that had Davis and Crabtree ranking pretty high in dropped balls, but I couldn't find it. Do you know where it is?

If I remember correctly there are a lot of guys at the top, with the diffrence in dropped balls being like one to five (tops). In other words, its not like Davis had 20 dropped balls and other guys had 10. It was more like 9 and other big names had 8 or 7. In that case, its not that big of a deal. The other thing I think that needs to be considered is percentage of dropped balls, not pure numbers. The bottom line is outside of the one Seahawks play, Davis has been pretty money.The other thing that needs to be considered is the difficulty level of his catches. He caught a ton of deep balls, not dink and dunk passes.

he is getting better at catching the ball with his hands, and i commend him for putting in the extra work on the jugs machine, i hold VD to a high standard just like gore, and i just hope to see continued improvement, really that is all u can ask for
Originally posted by WestCoast:
f**kin dumbass
Originally posted by eric90clark:
Sighhhhhh. Poor Charlie Davis. blinded by his own blatant stupor. I actually feel sorry for the guy. All i know is... None of those other tight ends is a mismatch for defenses on madden like Vernon Davis is!

Originally posted by pelos21:
Originally posted by eric90clark:
Sighhhhhh. Poor Charlie Davis. blinded by his own blatant stupor. I actually feel sorry for the guy. All i know is... None of those other tight ends is a mismatch for defenses on madden like Vernon Davis is!

madden knows all.
Share 49ersWebzone