LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Montana interview

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Chief
  • Veteran
A pretty cool interview, any thoughts about what he said? I loled about the Joe Namath thing, it must be a pain in the ass trying to eat dinner with your family and have some dips**t filming you with his camera phone.

Joe Montana finds empty nest in San Francisco

Q: Are you bothered by fame?

A: Some people have no respect whether you are with your family or not. That's the hardest part. I was shopping in a grocery store in Seattle looking for stuff for Nicholas. This guy kept following me with his cell phone video on. The lady comes up and says, "Can I have a picture?" I said, "I don't do pictures anymore." If you're out to dinner, one is never enough. The same person will shoot 10 while you're eating. I sign autographs. It's getting a little bit easier because I'm getting older, and a lot of the younger people are like, "Who's that?" You will be walking through an airport, and you get, "Aren't you Joe Namath?"

Q: Do people ask you if you can still get out there and play?

A: If I could still play, I would be trying. It's been 15 years.

Q: Do you have any involvement with the 49ers?

A: I don't.

Q: Can you handicap the 49ers' quarterback race?

They're in a tough position. They want Alex (Smith) to step up, and I think he's getting better at it. I don't watch a lot of the games on Sunday. But I always kept an eye on the 49ers. I think Mike Singletary has made a big difference. He's done a tremendous job.

Q: Can you handicap the 49ers' stadium race?

A: My money is on Santa Clara. Nobody wants them to leave San Francisco, but nobody wants to vote for them to be here. Somebody contacted me about doing something down there, a property group. Somebody knows something.

More here
Good interview--sad about him having to gimp around on his bum knee. I guess we should be happy he's still ambulatory after all the brutal hits he took over the years. Was a little surprised he didn't put the catch as one of the 2 most memorable throws but no question about the TD throw to Taylor in the superbowl. Maybe the niners will land one of his boys as a future QB who knows......
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Chief:
A pretty cool interview, any thoughts about what he said? I loled about the Joe Namath thing, it must be a pain in the ass trying to eat dinner with your family and have some dips**t filming you with his camera phone.

A: Some people have no respect whether you are with your family or not. That's the hardest part. I was shopping in a grocery store in Seattle looking for stuff for Nicholas. This guy kept following me with his cell phone video on. The lady comes up and says, "Can I have a picture?" I said, "I don't do pictures anymore." If you're out to dinner, one is never enough. The same person will shoot 10 while you're eating. I sign autographs. It's getting a little bit easier because I'm getting older, and a lot of the younger people are like, "Who's that?" You will be walking through an airport, and you get, "Aren't you Joe Namath?"

They're in a tough position. They want Alex (Smith) to step up, and I think he's getting better at it. I don't watch a lot of the games on Sunday. But I always kept an eye on the 49ers. I think Mike Singletary has made a big difference. He's done a tremendous job.

A: My money is on Santa Clara. Nobody wants them to leave San Francisco, but nobody wants to vote for them to be here. Somebody contacted me about doing something down there, a property group. Somebody knows something.

More here

Originally posted by wrongway9erfan:
Good interview--sad about him having to gimp around on his bum knee. I guess we should be happy he's still ambulatory after all the brutal hits he took over the years. Was a little surprised he didn't put the catch as one of the 2 most memorable throws but no question about the TD throw to Taylor in the superbowl. Maybe the niners will land one of his boys as a future QB who knows......

Anyone who has played QB on even the lowest of organized levels shouldn't be surprised by this. Theres a certain vanity involved in being a QB. The ones you consider your best throws take into account not just situation/significance, but also did it come out of my hand perfectly?, was it beautiful in flight?, did it go exactly where I wanted it to?, did my throw allow reality to perfectly match my vision for how the play should have been executed?. "The Catch" is not called "the throw" for a reason. It was memorable (by the way the question was not about most memorable throw, but favorite throw), but not one of his best.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

More here

What's the face plant about? Do you think the Jessica Simpson thread is more Niner related?
Ran into him in the lobby of the Four Seasons Hotel in Seattle when I was there for work. Good thing I didn't ask him for a picture. He was on a cell phone anyway doing a radio interview. Guess I will see him up there alot with his son playing at UW.....
Dude seems like an a-hole to some fans.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

This
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

More here

What's the face plant about? Do you think the Jessica Simpson thread is more Niner related?

someone mistaking him for Namath
Originally posted by CornellU49er:
Originally posted by wrongway9erfan:

Anyone who has played QB on even the lowest of organized levels shouldn't be surprised by this. Theres a certain vanity involved in being a QB. The ones you consider your best throws take into account not just situation/significance, but also did it come out of my hand perfectly?, was it beautiful in flight?, did it go exactly where I wanted it to?, did my throw allow reality to perfectly match my vision for how the play should have been executed?. "The Catch" is not called "the throw" for a reason. It was memorable (by the way the question was not about most memorable throw, but favorite throw), but not one of his best.

Leave it to an Ivy leaguer to break it down like this...

Cannot blame him. It's difficult to be constantly in good mood when people get into one's personal space all the time.
Originally posted by fastforward:

Cannot blame him. It's difficult to be constantly in good mood when people get into one's personal space all the time.

i can't imagin how i'd react to people constantly taking out their phones snapping pics and recording me buying groceries..

Joe doesn't wanna fully admit it (although he left a slight clue), but I bet he's been paying A LOT of attention to the 49ers over the years (even though he's lived a quiet/peaceful life now outside of football, with family and property interest).

Montana isn't a jerk, he's just always been a well-financed/private guy (as most of the 49ers HOF alumni have been thanks to Bill Walsh's financial guidance). Joe doesn't need to do bulls**t broadcasting gigs like that c********r Marino to prove to the world who he is.

-He's Joe motherf**king Montana, the man is in an elite class of athletes with guys like Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan, and Wayne Gretzky (guys who won it all; with class). So... what more does he need to offer to anybody?

Now that's downright sacrilegious.
Share 49ersWebzone