LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 210 users in the forums

Whos your favorite 49er from this list?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Whos your favorite 49er from this list?

Originally posted by montana4ever:
Originally posted by JoeCool031619:
How is Joe not running away with this?

I agree, he should be killing everybody on that list. I guess there are a lot of younger fans on this site that didn't get a chance to see Joe play or something.

I don't think it has anything to do with play. Even Jerry Rice isn't "running away" with the list and he was around all the way into the late 90s.

The question was "Who's your favorite?" rather than "Who's the best?"

I don't proclaim Young was the best. Montana was better, but Young is just the player I like more.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jul 8, 2010 at 12:50 AM ]
This isn't even a question for me.

There is no player in all of my sports fan life that has put a bigger smile on my face than Joe Montana. It was like watching magic happen if front of your eyes. I loved every single minute of it, and my heart was literally broken the day he was traded.

Because Jerry Rice is the greatest football player off all time. And although Montana is considered the greatest QB of all time, a lot of people, like myself, LIKED Steve Young more. He was more exciting to watch outside of a two minute comeback, which didn't happen as often as people want to make it seem.

You do mean Coach Walsh right? Considering he put these guys on the same sideline. 1 vote for Coach means one vote for the entire ensemble.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Because Jerry Rice is the greatest football player off all time. And although Montana is considered the greatest QB of all time, a lot of people, like myself, LIKED Steve Young more. He was more exciting to watch outside of a two minute comeback, which didn't happen as often as people want to make it seem.

What?

2 questions both could be answered relatively quickly by the first one.

1st How old are you?

2nd Where the truck were you from '81-'91?

I know of only one big game that Joe had where the game was so out of reach for the other team that everyone could have gone home by Halftime the Opposing team was getting its ass handed to them so bad.

Joe had enough comebacks that a certain Commentator said after their loss to us that he just knew that there was too much time left on the Clock and that they scored too fast on us.

Please just stop. You don't even know what Offenses QBs' play. Steve was a GREAT Football player. Joe was the greatest. If you can't tell the difference then either you weren't born yet or you weren't paying attention.

Just my two cents for WiW.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
This isn't even a question for me.

There is no player in all of my sports fan life that has put a bigger smile on my face than Joe Montana. It was like watching magic happen if front of your eyes. I loved every single minute of it, and my heart was literally broken the day he was traded.

^^^ Exactly this.

Originally posted by Ceadderman:

What?

1st How old are you?

I know of only one big game that Joe had where the game was so out of reach for the other team that everyone could have gone home by Halftime the Opposing team was getting its ass handed to them so bad.

Joe had enough comebacks that a certain Commentator said after their loss to us that he just knew that there was too much time left on the Clock and that they scored too fast on us.

Please just stop. You don't even know what Offenses QBs' play. Steve was a GREAT Football player. Joe was the greatest. If you can't tell the difference then either you weren't born yet or you weren't paying attention.

~Ceadder

First we got this -

Then we got this insulting response -

IIRC, the issue is who is your FAVORITE, not who is the GREATEST.

I agree 100% with Rider here. Joe was the man, but Steve will always be my favorite and the QB that I most enjoyed watching play. No stats, logic or argument can change that because it is subjective.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
First we got this -

I agree 100% with Rider here. Joe was the man, but Steve will always be my favorite and the QB that I most enjoyed watching play. No stats, logic or argument can change that because it is subjective.

All I hear you saying is: "I prefer my high school art teachers paintings more than DaVinci's."
[ Edited by IWASATTHECATCH on Jul 8, 2010 at 9:57 AM ]
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
First we got this -

All I hear you saying is: "I prefer my high school art teachers paintings more that DaVinci's."

It's hard for me to choose, it really is

I felt a loyalty to Joe when Steve was tearing up the league, but I still consider steve one of my favorites ever after watching give everything he had every week

Ronnie Lott could also be my favorite 49er ...but I guess being I was a defensive lineman myself I will always think of B.Y as my favorite 49er of all time...Steve Wallace too

Lot of people confused about the purpose of this poll.

Some have it right though. I chose Steve. And yes, I saw Montana play. Joe will always be the best QB ever to me. But that isn't what this poll is about. It may be for some, but not all of us.

What?

1st How old are you?

~Ceadder

Sooner or later you need to figure out your opinion isn't the bottom line. Every single time you post, you convey your OPINION as FACT. Get over yourself for once.

To answer your questions, I'm in my mid-30s and I was watching Joe Montana from 81'-91'. I hate when you people think your opinion is final and anyone with a differing opinion has to have something wrong with them -in this case you assume I've never seen Montana play because I said Young was more exciting to watch outside of a 2 minute drill, so clearly you think I've never seen Montana play. Get off the pedestal you've undeservingly placed youself on.

Don't try to sit there and act like Montana was pulling off a 4th quarter comeback with 2 minutes left every damn week. It didn't happen as often as people like you want to think. That is not an opinion, that is a fact. Montana was great and is probably the greatest of all time, but TO ME, Young was more exciting to watch. If you don't like that, too damn bad.

By the way, about me not knowing which offenses QBs play under.. You might want to go read that thread again. You don't seem to understand that every team's version of an offense (no matter which offense) is DIFFERENT and that was my point. Your level of comprehension is very low for someone who tries to seem like the smartest person to ever post on a forum. Ever. Of all time.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Jul 8, 2010 at 1:39 PM ]
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Lot of people confused about the purpose of this poll.

Some have it right though. I chose Steve. And yes, I saw Montana play. Joe will always be the best QB ever to me. But that isn't what this poll is about. It may be for some, but not all of us.

Exactly. Just something about ol' Steve-o made him into my favorite player. The heart of the guy was so evident in every game he played.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Steve Young was just so exciting to watch play. His athleticism was amazing, I could watch replays of his scrambles over and over and still wonder how he didn't get sacked. Kind of hard to pick a favorite 49er, kind of like asking a parent to pick their favorite child.
My favorite 49er of all time has to be Jerry Rice with Ronnie Lott a close 2nd. They epitomized the 49ers through and through. They were the heart and soul of their untis respectively. Although Joe Montanna will always be my favorite NINER QB, he comes in 3rd with Roger Craig 4th and coach Walsh 5th.

We were truly blessed to have these players on our sqad guys. GO NINERS!
Share 49ersWebzone