LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 352 users in the forums

Another Season of Gore Facing 8 in the Box?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Another Season of Gore Facing 8 in the Box?

Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
Gore with a line that can block could beat 11 in the box.

Agreed
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Crabtree. Nuff said
Seattle will put 8 in the box until alex chucks a 50 yard bomb to crabtree and we smash seattle in the opener. afterwards taylor mays tells pete carroll to go f**k himself
It all depends on Raye. How long did it take him last season to figure out that this team COULDN'T RUN THE BALL against 8-9 man fronts? I can think of several games where he refused to play aggressively until the team was down by 20+ points.

This season may only get worse with the addition of 2 first rd picks on the O-line. He may be more determined than ever to run the ball at all costs.

I'd really like to see the team change it's philosphy on offense. I simply cannot stand the thought of the Niners being a power running team. I'd much rather see Raye use the weapons he has on offense instead of running Gore into 8-9 man fronts OVER AND OVER AGAIN.
I want to see more of Smith playing out of the shotgun with Crabtree, Davis, Morgan, Ginn/Hill, and Gore as potential targets.
StevenKing had a good point earlier. Why fix it if it ain't broke. Other defenses will continue to rely on the film from the last couple of years and stack the box. It will be up to us to make them change and when they do look out. Gore is way too strong of an inside runner to be in nickel and dime defenses often. If they go back stacking the box you can mix it up with our two TE sets, VD-Walker-Morgan-Crabs is like having four receivers. I really think the key to Gore's success will be the 3 wideout sets. If our slot receiver can do anything like what Wess Welker does for that Pats look out. Can you imagine what the short-intermediate threat between the hash marks would do to VD over the top down the middle of the field. If you can establish the short zone as a threat and then make the safety bite on a pump fake, VD will own that safety all day long. He is too fast and it will be another record year. Can't wait for the season to start!
Let'em put 8 in the box, so hit'em with the Davis and Crabtree show, then have Gore run at them again in the 2nd qrt. By the end of the 3rd qrt, they wont know what to bring! Enter Alex Smith to throw some sweet TD passes.
I hope they try it. 8 in the box won't be enough in 2010. The O-line will be better. Gore/Coffee (throw A. Dixon into the mix) will wear defenses down by the 4th. Plus, I don't think our passing game is going to suck.

Last season, the nutcracker was installed and literally, cracked a lot of those guys nuts! This year, most, if not all, will be more conditioned/stronger and it will show on the field (defense and offense).

Sure, it's all about skill/technique, but when it's late in the game - we'll see if they could stop us from pounding... "pound it pound it pound it"

9 in the box, leaves the opposing defense Jacked-in-the-Box
I think it depends on the QB. We have other weapons, (Crabs, VD, Ginn, D-Love, Morgan) so if we have a QB that can deliver then there's no way teams can continue to stack the box. Now, if our QB can't get the ball to these guys, then Gore's going to have another long season...
If smith can hit the quick slant/outs to crabs and VD-the opposing teams will hopefully get a serious case of hemmeroids!, it'll be okay, if not then....

= career year for Alex Smith.

I'm fine with that. We have relied heavily on Frank Gore, and now we can reward him with more openings and longer runs (although I think Gore was one of the league leaders in 20+ yd runs).
Originally posted by D_Niner:
I think it depends on the QB. We have other weapons, (Crabs, VD, Ginn, D-Love, Morgan) so if we have a QB that can deliver then there's no way teams can continue to stack the box. Now, if our QB can't get the ball to these guys, then Gore's going to have another long season...

I don't agree dude. I think it all depends on Raye. Last season we saw WAY too many 3 and outs that consisted of; run up the middle, run to the left, run to the right, punt. Or it was run, run, and short pass followed by punt. Then, after halftime, it was a different offense. The only problem is, by halftime the team is down by 20 points.

Raye needs to let Smith throw the ball around EARLY in games. I'm tired of seeing the run at all cost style of play bury this team by halftime.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by D_Niner:

I don't agree dude. I think it all depends on Raye. Last season we saw WAY too many 3 and outs that consisted of; run up the middle, run to the left, run to the right, punt. Or it was run, run, and short pass followed by punt. Then, after halftime, it was a different offense. The only problem is, by halftime the team is down by 20 points.

Raye needs to let Smith throw the ball around EARLY in games. I'm tired of seeing the run at all cost style of play bury this team by halftime.

Don't forget the O-line either. Neither Smith or Raye can do much without an O-line that can put together a series without huge pressure on the QB. Raye was trying to eat up clock in the first half of a lot of games to keep our D off the field, then we would fall behind by the half.

I think our O-line guys are guna be too raw to give Smith much help. Maybe in the latter half of the season...Just too many question marks on the offense for teams to get off of Gore. I'm kinda glad so many people disagree with me though. Gives me more hope
I would love to see Ted Ginn develop into a dangerous downfield threat, just think of how much more effective that would make Crabtree, Davis and Gore when the defense has to be aware of Ginn's dangerous speed
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I would love to see Ted Ginn develop into a dangerous downfield threat, just think of how much more effective that would make Crabtree, Davis and Gore when the defense has to be aware of Ginn's dangerous speed

We all pray for that every night
Share 49ersWebzone