There are 206 users in the forums

Manny Lawson: Top 5 3-4 OLB in the league (according to CBSsports.com)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Originally posted by Canadian49er:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
WTF is Josh Kadabjyvfwlahfsadvas and who cares what he thinks...

A guy employed by CBS...

As opposed to DaDivaRecieva15 who hangs out on a message point and shares his opinion for free

owned

People seem to forget Manny was hurt and out for a while and yes it took him some time to get back up to speed. He has since played great for us. Doing any and everything asked of him. We would be foolish to just let him go.
I kinda laughed a little bit seeing his name next to somebody like Ware. What a joke....this guy is probably getting a cut once Lawson gets paid.
im not going to lie

I like manny and he makes plays

however, I wouldnt consider him top 5, let alone 10.

I dont know what his contract demands are, but he shouldnt be getting paid big bucks until he performs consistently.
Lawson gets run over by the power run game.....he is good at going sideline to sideline against the run and in coverage he will be missed but not worth the money he is going to want no way
Originally posted by 49ersFan:
Lawson gets run over by the power run game.....he is good at going sideline to sideline against the run and in coverage he will be missed but not worth the money he is going to want no way

please show one example of getting run over in the power game..

he is one of the reasons our run defense is so good. just because he is getting pushed by a linemen doesnt mean he is getting run over, he is often taking a tackle down the edge to cut the back off of the perimeter and push him back inside for guys like willis and the safeties to make a plays..

once again, learn to 3-4 defense before acting like you know what you are talking about new guy.
Manny Lawson is a Top 5 OLB in the 3-4!
vs coverage he is easily Top 5
vs the run he is arguably The Best!!

He literaly shut his side of the field down! Running plays to the defences left side where non existent in 09!

He did lead the team in sacks and wasn't too bad considering his lack of pass rush moves. But if you remember how much more efficient he was with J Smith in front of him, you can tell how good he can be with a real DE on his side
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
lawson > suggs? lololol

I suppose if you compare Manny to Suggs on sacks alone, Suggs would get the edge, but the 3-4 SAM OLB is about more than just sacks... I prefer Manny, he brings a better overall game than Suggs..IMO. He is also a much better value, Suggs makes about 10M/yr, Manny much less. I am too lazy to look up their salaries.
Good review, hopefully Lawson makes it back to camp
Lawson is certainly a solid OLB. This guys comments are spot on.... but the top 5 rating is a bit generous. He should get a contract extension though. We need him on our defense. I don't think he has done enough yet to be seen as one of the premier 3-4 OLBs in the league.
Top 5? Seems like a bit of stretch. I guess they are viewing him as a "complete" 3-4 OLB. He can cover, set the edge on run plays, create turnovers and rush the passer (even though he isn't dominant at any of these things). I hope he plays like a man possessed this year because it's his contract year. Whether or not he ends with the Niners is irrelevant. Make a statement Manny and then let the chips fall where they may........

Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
lawson > suggs? lololol

I suppose if you compare Manny to Suggs on sacks alone, Suggs would get the edge, but the 3-4 SAM OLB is about more than just sacks... I prefer Manny, he brings a better overall game than Suggs..IMO. He is also a much better value, Suggs makes about 10M/yr, Manny much less. I am too lazy to look up their salaries.

This
Originally posted by elguapo:
i'd say lawson is top 10 in the league right around #10. top 10 in run support and definitely top 5 in coverage. If we blitzed him more he would have more sacks but top 25 in sacks.....so overall i would give him #10

I think he'll improve his totals from last year and yes I mean sacks and pressures
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Dino:
anthony spencer, clay mathews and calvin pace >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> lawson

Actually Clay Matthews and Calvin Pace are better than all of our LB's and I'd take them over anyone of them to add to Ahmad Brooks. But Spencer, hes pretty much the same as Lawson, only I think Lawson is a better all-around player, and more athletic. I'd have to take Lawson over Spencer.

With that said, I really do hope Lawson has a good year this upcoming season, and I hope we do re-sign him or at least franchise him if he does do good.

does that include willis
Originally posted by 49ersFan:

If it's a power run. that's between the center and guard. That's franklin wills and justin what is mannys job is too keep run's from being bounced outside.
Wow as far off as this guy is, at least we gettin' some respect. Man-Law ya I wish he was that good, shoot we had a clear shot at DeAngelo Williams and we picked Lawson instead, arghh (imagine Gore and DeAngelo together, shoot). Course that was the same front office that drafted Alex Smith over A-Rod so yeah... Well at least Man-Law is a decent player.
Share 49ersWebzone