Originally posted by RumphLegacy:
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by susweel:
I kind of agree with him.

However I do wish that Smith proves all of us doubters wrong.

you think nate davis should be starting over alex smith?

I forgot, sorry, Alex Smith will suddenly get better over the offseason and will have corrected all his probems by throwing the ball around in OTAs, and I don't want Nate to start (yet) honestly it's foolish to believe that our rebuilding is over, Nate needs to learn (who will teach him idk). I honestly don't know what I would do if the decision were mine, but eventually dump Alex and train Davis.
yes, thats exactly what will happen

I can see it now............. all the Smith doubters such as myself being force-fed crow in inappropriate amounts, as we all celebrate Alex Smith success, Oh wait, I left the gas on in the stove again.

exactly
What blows is the day everyone realizes that Smith is mediocre (again), is a day I won't feel like bragging about being right...........

but U will.......................it's a good thing ur wrong.

*Slowly lifts palm of hand and places it on face

It's simple friends.

We need more games out of Alex like he played against Jacksonville.

And we need less games out of Alex like he played against Tennessee.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by Nes49:

I forgot, sorry, Alex Smith will suddenly get better over the offseason and will have corrected all his probems by throwing the ball around in OTAs, and I don't want Nate to start (yet) honestly it's foolish to believe that our rebuilding is over, Nate needs to learn (who will teach him idk). I honestly don't know what I would do if the decision were mine, but eventually dump Alex and train Davis.

I can see it now............. all the Smith doubters such as myself being force-fed crow in inappropriate amounts, as we all celebrate Alex Smith success, Oh wait, I left the gas on in the stove again.

exactly
What blows is the day everyone realizes that Smith is mediocre (again), is a day I won't feel like bragging about being right...........

It's simple friends.

To make a short story even shorter: Alex, just don't screw up, and let the rest of the team win.

I do realize I am being mean, just that Alex has frustrated me in a lot of games
and has been the source of anger for me.
As smart as smith is he can't seem to win......I know there have been a lot of obstacles for smith but he's gone if he doesent perform well this year.

exactly

It's simple friends.

To make a short story even shorter: Alex, just don't screw up, and let the rest of the team win.

I do realize I am being mean, just that Alex has frustrated me in a lot of games

Its funny how you guys are so sure that Alex will never amount to anything. i really have no clue and neither do you. he looked awful at times and he has looked really good at others.

I do know that he has improved his game so far every year he has played and this is really only his fourth season. given all the issues he has had thrown at him, I think he actual has done allright, not good, not terrible. If he picks up his consistency, gets a little time to throw and becomes more comfortable in less space, this team can win. There is enough talent on this team that it can make a mediocre QB pretty damn good. Same way Randy Moss made Culpepper look good, even though he wasn't.

This will be the year that we will finally know what we have. If he ends of sucking, we will probably have a pretty decent backup.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Johnster:
See the following...

QB Wonderlic scores
40 - Alex Smith
33 - Tom Brady
33 - Steve Young
30 - Phillip Rivers
29 - John Elway
28 - Drew Brees
28 - Peyton Manning
25 - Ben Roethlisberger
22 - Brett Favre
15 - Steve McNair
15 - Randall Cunningham
15 - Dan Marino
15 - Terry Bradshaw
14 - Donovan McNabb

Need I say more?...

sources:
http://www.hogshaven.com/2009/2/17/762095/combine-the-wonderlic
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=61&f=3972&t=3012998

please don't tell me that you think what you posted proves anything about Alex Smith's capabilities. All it does is disprove the value of the Wonderlic.

It's not how well or how fast you can memorize a playbook, it's how well you can execute it - effectively, efficiently, and instinctually.
Man, you guys are funny. I got out of the interview-first, a laugh; and then a cool confidence in knowing my quarterback is going to prove this 'guy' wrong, as well as a lot of you doubters.

Take your damn blinders off. And see that Alex can make the throws, and is becoming a better decision maker. He's ready to take that step of leading us to victories.

Im the guy who had to step in defend Alex because I know hes going to be off the charts this year in production. And it takes 5 pages for someone to speak anything good in this guy? Damn, I feel like I have to defend my players against you people..., exactly like I did yesterday when I was argueing with Cowboys fans!

Does anyone have open perspectives
Originally posted by alburns:

exactly

It's simple friends.

Its funny how you guys are so sure that Alex will never amount to anything. i really have no clue and neither do you. he looked awful at times and he has looked really good at others.

I do know that he has improved his game so far every year he has played and this is really only his fourth season. given all the issues he has had thrown at him, I think he actual has done allright, not good, not terrible. If he picks up his consistency, gets a little time to throw and becomes more comfortable in less space, this team can win. There is enough talent on this team that it can make a mediocre QB pretty damn good. Same way Randy Moss made Culpepper look good, even though he wasn't.

This will be the year that we will finally know what we have. If he ends of sucking, we will probably have a pretty decent backup.

I assure you there is nothing funny about our current QB situation, you and I have both seen how that underachiever performs, some people just don't like the fact that Smith is at the helm of a team that can go deep into the playoffs were it not for him, any decent QB can have difficulties, however, Alex makes a habbit of sucking and underachieving, he is "susceptible" to fail if the circumstances are not perfect, QB always have problems, they deal with it and find a way to win, Alex folds and waits for people to fix things for him.

exactly

It's simple friends.

I assure you there is nothing funny about our current QB situation, you and I have both seen how that underachiever performs, some people just don't like the fact that Smith is at the helm of a team that can go deep into the playoffs were it not for him, any decent QB can have difficulties, however, Alex makes a habbit of sucking and underachieving, he is "susceptible" to fail if the circumstances are not perfect, QB always have problems, they deal with it and find a way to win, Alex folds and waits for people to fix things for him.

There were several losses last year that you can't fault Smith for.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Man, you guys are funny. I got out of the interview-first, a laugh; and then a cool confidence in knowing my quarterback is going to prove this 'guy' wrong, as well as a lot of you doubters.

Take your damn blinders off. And see that Alex can make the throws, and is becoming a better decision maker. He's ready to take that step of leading us to victories.

Im the guy who had to step in defend Alex because I know hes going to be off the charts this year in production. And it takes 5 pages for someone to speak anything good in this guy? Damn, I feel like I have to defend my players against you people..., exactly like I did yesterday when I was argueing with Cowboys fans!

Does anyone have open perspectives
I don't attack players (illegal in some states), I point out that I believe that they are not suitible to play their respective position, for some reason many have convinced themselves that Alex will be reborn next season (Don't know why)
this has been a recuring cycle of hope and failure, people continue to buy into Smith as he ahem.."progresses" while a otherwise SB bound team is dragged down by his play, he doesn't work with himself to cope with his difficulties, he has the team cope and design a team that's "ideal" for him. Oh well this argument was useless 3 years ago, it still is now, wonder how long you guys wil stil buy into him.

exactly

It's simple friends.

The games Hill started?

It seems as if people who defend Smith want to trash Davis, and those defending Davis trash Smith. Its too bad because Smith has proven he can play when given the right system, and Davis has loads of talent.

What worries me most is that neither one of these players will be set up for success. Smith is a consistently below average player in a ground based attack, and Davis will never "learn" until he actually plays.

I would be exited about BOTH of these players if I knew that they were going to be handled right. But so far...

exactly

It's simple friends.

The games Hill started?

If I remember correctly, Smith played very well up in Seattle but the Niners still lost.
Originally posted by Shaj:
his Smith comments are right on. It's hard to see this kind of stuff when you're a hard core fan. If you think about all the hype Smith has gotten this off season, and all the media and players swinging from his nuts, none have them have based their comments on his actual performance. ALL of them have based their comments on knowledge of the offense, command of the huddle and the play, confidence exuded, and emotions showed after the occasional good play. All of that and a dollar will buy you a small cup of stale coffee at 7-11. it doesn't result in good play unless he actually plays good, which he hasn't done in 5 years. Talk is cheap, fellas. We need Smith to show up on the field for the first time in his career. Year 6 is a good place to start.

Yep
Originally posted by BHulman:

exactly

It's simple friends.

The games Hill started?

If I remember correctly, Smith played very well up in Seattle but the Niners still lost.

Top tier QBs in this league wipe their butts with a good performance for Smith (ie: 0-1int 1-2td 50% comp. 190 yards.) I don't hate Smith but I've never seen lasting glimmer of hope in his play.
[ Edited by RumphLegacy on Jul 2, 2010 at 6:35 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BHulman:

exactly

It's simple friends.

The games Hill started?

Top tier QBs in this league wipe their butts with a good performance for Smith (ie: 0-1int 1-2td 50% comp. 190 yards.) I don't hate Smith but I've never seen lasting glimmer of hope in his play.

I use to think and make remarks the same way as you do, but after watching Smith in Houston, Indy and Seattle, I'm pretty excited to see what he can do this year. Sure he was inconsistent as well this year, but you have to at least give the guy some slack after a year and a half away from playing let alone taking a snap of football.
Share 49ersWebzone