LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

D-Line Rankings Yahoo!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Write him a question/comment at the end of the link..Let 'em have it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope alot of the O-linemen of the teams we face next year read that..
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Jason Cole of Yahoo sports has the niners ranked 19th as far a D-Line is concerned.
LINK

Quote:
19. San Francisco 49ers: The 49ers like to sell people on the greatness of Aubrayo Franklin(notes). Nice player, but more along the lines of Cincy’s Domata Peko, a tough, hard-working sort. That leaves ends Isaac Sopoaga(notes) and Justin Smith(notes), who are both solid. Smith is terribly overpaid, but that’s the nature of free agency in the NFL.

Agree or Disagree?

bahahahahahahaha that guy has no clue, teams averaged 98 rushing yards a game against us last year, thats top 5 yo.
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Jason Cole of Yahoo sports has the niners ranked 19th as far a D-Line is concerned.
LINK

Quote:
19. San Francisco 49ers: The 49ers like to sell people on the greatness of Aubrayo Franklin(notes). Nice player, but more along the lines of Cincy’s Domata Peko, a tough, hard-working sort. That leaves ends Isaac Sopoaga(notes) and Justin Smith(notes), who are both solid. Smith is terribly overpaid, but that’s the nature of free agency in the NFL.

Agree or Disagree?

Jason Cole is a f*cking jackwagon.

Afrank is a f*cking beast of a 3-4 NT...and Smith is the best 3-4 DE in the game.

The Niners lose points for depth (as our backups are middling at best).

Cole can take a beer battered f*ck off the end of my d*ck as it pertains to his knowledge of Afrank and Smitty.

Tell us how you really feel LB. "Beer battered f..." that's good. Sick! Yet appropriate. If you're into that sort of thing I guess.

Haven't read it yet but if it's as bad a review as that then I'll save myself a trip to the ER and a busted monitor.

No way in hell Smith is overpaid. That man is EVAHWHAR on the field. Him, Manny and Bam Bam are our high motor guys. Guys that close VERY fast and seal the edge like a 10lb sledge smackin on steel.

BUT... I think a lot of his opinion is based on our season Record and that we have a lunchpail Defense. If we get to the Playoffs this season I guarantee you that our Defense will be ranked top 10 if not top 5 in the league. It comes with the territory. We all know this.

And sadly there were some games where our Defense didn't look as sharp as they oughtta have.

But I have Faith. I have faith that our Offense will be able to sustain drives. I have faith that their 3rd down conversion rating will drastically improve. And I have Faith that as a result of that our Defense will benefit and not be on the field 65-70% of the game.

I also have Faith that this Time next year Cole will be writing for some unknown fly by night birdcage liner gossip rag and nobody will depend on his Ratings.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by NCommand:
LINK

Quote:

Agree or Disagree?

Kind of dumb. They should compare 4-3 d-line with 4-3 d-lines, 3-4 d-lines with 3-4 d-lines, etc.

I don't care about how much Smith is paid but he is certainly doing everything and more esp. for a 3-4 RDE. I somewhat agree re: Franklin b/c he'll never be a Wilfork or Williams but in a one-gap, he's above average. Sopoaga is a very solid LDE and should continue to get better. Of the other 3-4 defensive lines, I'd say we're above average for sure. We need to keep perspective that how often did teams run against us vs pass? Was that b/c we were so effective along the d-line with our LB's or b/c we were more weak against the pass?

Thank You, couldnt have said it better myself. The job for a Defensive linemen changes when played in a 3-4 then a 4-3 and anyone who has since knows when you can find D-line men who can play 3-4 good is a player to pay and keep. It takes years for a linemen to develope into this system and unlike the 4-3, to be a consistent force in this style is down right harder.
J. Smith is not over paid for the very reason he can stop the run in a 3-4 and still bring the heat on the QB.
Franklin does is job better then most plugging gaps and blowing lanes for the RB and when he isnt doing that, can still get his arm on the ball carrier when being doubled teamed.
Sopoaga covers his gaps well and slows runners down by redirecting blockers which is ideal for DE in the 3-4 but hasnt been able to shine as if he was playing in a 4-3.

Well one thing that he didn't do and it is a must. He didn't take the production of the surrounding units into account.

As has been pointed out...

We're 3rd in Run Defense.
We're 5th in Sacks.
We're a 3-4

Sooooooooooooo... you have to take that and apply it to the ranking. Not just our team but all 3-4 teams. You take what the Line ALLOWS your LB Corps and Secondary to do.

It's clear he didn't even do that.

The other thing he did was give the advantage to teams that had "good rookie picks" and good FA signings. He also HUGELY minimalized several players including our very own Justin Smith, while wearing his kneepads about players like Vanden Bosch. Don't get me wrong I like VB, BUT... chemistry is VERY important. It happens every year. There are signing that the media is on their knees knob gobbling over and then zilch. Their signing was little more than average and they still play decently but not well enough to bump the power ranking based on their signings. Same with draft choices. Very few Rookie players make an immediate impact on the Line. Especially against the upper echelon OLinemen in the league.

I know I said I wasn't going to read it, but curiosity got the best of me.

~Ceadder
I don't understand how we rank top 5 in sacks and yards allowed, but our Dline is 19th? The guy is obviously seriously lacking in his judgement. "Aubrayo is overrated.." and "Justin Smith is way overpaid" were two comments that really made me scratch my head...
Originally posted by Blitz:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
LINK

Quote:

Agree or Disagree?

Kind of dumb. They should compare 4-3 d-line with 4-3 d-lines, 3-4 d-lines with 3-4 d-lines, etc.

I don't care about how much Smith is paid but he is certainly doing everything and more esp. for a 3-4 RDE. I somewhat agree re: Franklin b/c he'll never be a Wilfork or Williams but in a one-gap, he's above average. Sopoaga is a very solid LDE and should continue to get better. Of the other 3-4 defensive lines, I'd say we're above average for sure. We need to keep perspective that how often did teams run against us vs pass? Was that b/c we were so effective along the d-line with our LB's or b/c we were more weak against the pass?

I read somewhere...a statistic site somewhere that Smith was the top end in the league in the QB pressures/ general makin' chaos on passing downs dept. It didn't shock me...I believe it...I truly do think he is the most disruptive end in the league. We lose Smith, our D is not near what it is now. He is worth every penny, easily.

But that was probably done by a site that had actually seen him play and/or did research. That doesn't follow proper protocol.

Justin Smith? Did he have a sack in the Pro-Bowl? Don't think so. He Sux.

The above logic is a much more atypical way to confirm value. Its the same system used by professionals everywhere, like ratings agencies on Wall Street, as well as multi-billion dollar energy internationals, like BP.

True.

The site I read that at did have a very detailed database going, they were doing their research. Wish I could remember which site it was.

You're probably thinking of ProFootballFocus
Originally posted by BrianGO:
LINK

Quote:

Agree or Disagree?

I read somewhere...a statistic site somewhere that Smith was the top end in the league in the QB pressures/ general makin' chaos on passing downs dept. It didn't shock me...I believe it...I truly do think he is the most disruptive end in the league. We lose Smith, our D is not near what it is now. He is worth every penny, easily.

But that was probably done by a site that had actually seen him play and/or did research. That doesn't follow proper protocol.

Justin Smith? Did he have a sack in the Pro-Bowl? Don't think so. He Sux.

The above logic is a much more atypical way to confirm value. Its the same system used by professionals everywhere, like ratings agencies on Wall Street, as well as multi-billion dollar energy internationals, like BP.

True.

The site I read that at did have a very detailed database going, they were doing their research. Wish I could remember which site it was.

You're probably thinking of ProFootballFocus

holy crap justin smith leades the nfl in QB pressures
Originally posted by Yoda_I_Be:
Let's see:
4th in points per game
4th in sacks
6th against the run

I don't see how that equates to the 19th best d-line, but then again I'd rank Yahoo's sports writing team as the 19th best on the internet and I'm sure they would disagree with that.

LOL

This makes me laugh because nobody can run on us.....Justin Smith is a pro bowler and has never missed a game.
Share 49ersWebzone