LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 172 users in the forums

Fox Sports rank Patrick Willis 12th PLayer in all of NFL

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Uhhh typo??

"The Niners play on national TV four times in 2010 and are going out to London for a Halloween meeting with the Chargers."

Unless Halloween has been changed to 12/16, then yes.
We play Broncos in London on Halloween. We play chargers on the 16th of December.
Originally posted by AlexSmithWillWIn:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Uhhh typo??

"The Niners play on national TV four times in 2010 and are going out to London for a Halloween meeting with the Chargers."

Unless Halloween has been changed to 12/16, then yes.
We play Broncos in London on Halloween. We play chargers on the 16th of December.

I know "when" and "who" we play when. No need to tell me something I already know.
Originally posted by KknighthawkK_9er:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by fastforward:
Revis is hands down the best defender in football and deserves to be ahead of Willis. He's the most feared person in football, and is the only true shut down corner in the NFL. When you get Peyton Manning to completely avoid you that's saying something.

Revis is very good, but his shutdown skill wasn't the only reason why Manning didn't throw his way in the playoff game. When there were easier bones to pick, why bother challenging Revis? Manning had a field day picking apart the Jets pass defense, virtually rendering Revis ineffective. That fact should prove that a shutdown CB isn't that valuable.

Why do I bother? You know our defense got roasted on multiple occasions as well that doesn't mean an All star LB isn't valueable.

There's about 3 teams in the NFL that can do what Peyton did against New York. That's it.

If you read my post again, you'd see that I did not compare Willis with Revis. I wrote about why Manning didn't have to beat up on Revis. A shutdown corner can only cover his zone or guy, but many teams have been able to overcome the lack of a great cornerback with schemes or a great pass rush - like the 49ers being able to harass K. Warner last year.

About the 49ers: the last year's team was particularly vulnerable to WCO schemes. Those schemes can create a lot of problems for teams that have great cornerback - like Revis - or MLB - like Willis.

A shut down corner can eliminate a team's number one option and allow for additional blitzes and additional run support. It also can help against a team's secondary option. If you don't have to commit 2 guys to guarding "x" receiver it allows for more help with "y" receiver. The problem with Peyton and the Colts was that Peyton can go to his #4 WR just as effective as his #1 WR. Like your WCO scenario not many teams are capable of that.

This isn't about what's the more important position to me. Really you can build a great defense around multiple positions. The Steelers are built around Polamaulu. The Ravens are built around Ray Lewis, and New England built their defense around the defensive line.

I'm not sure if the Steelers are built around Polamalu, as they have had one of, if not the best LB corps in football since the early 90's, long before he was there. He does add an extremely useful and versatile weapon to their defense, but their LB's make the D tick. There was a lot made about how their defensive statistics suffered when he was not in the lineup, but if you take away Harrison, Woodley, Timmons, Farrior, and now Foote again; you will have worse issues, especially with their lack of depth (and possibly talent) at CB.

However, I do agree with your statement that a shutdown CB changes the entire dynamic of your defense. Revis deserves to be where he is. The Jets went to the AFC Championship game, had the number one ranked defense in football, at that cannot be attributed to any individual player more than Revis.

The other thing about Willis is that he is not in his prime yet. He should continue to improve in pass defense, as well as in blitzing. I am excited to see how good he can be, and I have no problem with him being ranked the 12th best player in football. Like many people mentioned, that is probably even a little high.

It's a fair point but for the most part Pittsburgh's linebackers are system guys. Late to mid round picks who fit their mold of a linebacker. When those guys get hurt or leave thru free agency all of the sudden they turn into sh*t and Pittsburgh just cranks out another one. When Polamulu goes down Pittsburgh's D suffers. You can't duplicate what he brings to the table. I agree with you that Pittsburgh is a linebacker factory and historically are build around that position, but right now they clearly revolve around Polamulu.
My list IMO

1. Shaun Hill, simply the GOAT, will go HOF after seasons in Detroit.
2. Jamercus Russel, his will and determination will land him in the Super Bowl
3. Tim Teblow, ahem, I mean Tebow, as long as he plays out of shotgun, HOF
4. Jay Cutler, his greatness is not being appreciated! His sad face is sad!
5. Brondon Jones, great work ethic, spirit, and skill have guided this player to greatness.
Originally posted by RumphLegacy:
My list IMO

1. Shaun Hill, simply the GOAT, will go HOF after seasons in Detroit.
2. Jamercus Russel, his will and determination will land him in the Super Bowl
3. Tim Teblow, ahem, I mean Tebow, as long as he plays out of shotgun, HOF
4. Jay Cutler, his greatness is not being appreciated! His sad face is sad!
5. Brondon Jones, great work ethic, spirit, and skill have guided this player to greatness.

Only defensive players above Willis are Revis, Ware, and Jared Allen, all are the biggest names on their side of the ball, for their respective teams. But all 3 have teams that are more respected due to current winning seasons. I don't have beef with Willis ranked 12th for that reason.
Originally posted by GOLDMOUTH22:
Originally posted by Giggidy:
Originally posted by scopur49er:
I don't bro.
12 sounds about right to me - it may even be generous. Most of the guys ahead of him are franchise QBs that have playoff/Super Bowls wins under their belt or game changing individuals who have translated their on field performance into lots of wins.

At the end of the day, until we actually make the playoffs with this squad, it's hard to justify more recognition than this.
The fact that he's ranked #12 out of all the players in the league despite our lack of team success tells you something.

This.

About the italicized, I don't know if the team aspect has anything to do with Willis' individual performance as they pertain to this ranking - IMO, Willis would be a beast no matter which team he's on.

darrel revis is #7??? darrel revis plays one side of the field covers 25% of a side. and he's #7? so you would say that he is better then patrick willis? where patrick willis plays the whole field? goes up against pulling guards, fullbacks, tight ends, running backs and slots? and can still rundown a wide reciever on a hitch? cmon man? the BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER DESERVES TO BE IN THE TOP 10. but i guess you agree that darrel revis is better

This is comparing apples to oranges - I don't see how Revis and Willis can be directly compared other than 1) they both play defense and 2) they're both human. IMO, Willis is the best linebacker in the league and I believe Revis is one of the best (perhaps the best) DBs in the league - other than that, I have no opinion on comparing the two because they play different roles for the team and are expected to do fulfill different responsibilities in order to achieve the same purpose.

Additionally, this is just one list of many lists of its kind, so according how one measures "the best X in the league" will determine a player's ranking. Just take a deep breath, relax, and realize the referenced list or this discussion thread is not the definitive ranking of defensive players.
Originally posted by JohnnyMo49:
If you take out all the franchise QB's he's #6

I haven't seen the list, but I'd pick a few non-QBs over Willis: Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald to name a few. On the defensive side he's right up there though. Perhaps Revis is in his league.
12 seems about right
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Id put him in the 50s

I'll put u in the garbage

id like to see you find a trash can big enough

funny thing when you drive into Baltimore this is the 1st thing you see the big waste management plant then the Ravens and Orioles stadium.

Not only is Patrick Willis is the best defensive player in the league, but Darrelle Revis is not even second best. I believe that both Nnamdi Asomugha and Charles Woodson are better than Revis. Does anyone remember him pass interfering Ochocino when he would have had a 50 yard td?Also Ted Ginn and Steve Smith of the Giants blew him up for deep tds last year, but they somehow never talk about those times in his "perfect year", highly overrated.
Share 49ersWebzone