LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 427 users in the forums

WR Brandon Jones: On the outside looking in

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Bryant Johnson would have been so much better.

Why we didn't hold onto him is beyond me. Hes much better than Arnaz Battle and Brandon Jones and barely dropped passes.

I was so upset when we let B. Johnson go and signed this dude. Some agreed with me while others said Jones will be an improvement. Ha! How many Jones' fans are still out there? This guy was a nice attempt to boost the WR position in FA (before we drafted Crabtree), but it'll soon be an over-paid FAIL when he gets cut. Another great move by McAlcohol.

Well there was some upside to Brandon Jones. You could argue that he didn't have booming numbers because Vince Young doesn't pass a whole lot. He was respected by his teammates and he had Brandon Lloyd-like catching ability for some horribly thrown passes.

But Bryant Johnson would have been much better if he would have accepted a 3 yr/9m deal (he got more from the Lions). Why we kept Bruce over Johnson is well beyond my thought process.

You brought up a couple of good points. 1) Jones didn't have great #s because TEN was a run-oriented team. 2) I can't seem to even remember the Niners offering Johnson a 3yr/$9mil contract.

I'm guessing they kept Bruce out of respect, but if that's the case it backfired since he retired after another season vs. Johnson would've played here longer. Plus, we paid much more in FA to Jones (5yr/$16.5mil) than that offer to Johnson. That doesn't make sense at all. But whatever, I hope they cut their losses before paying this guy another penny after yet another injury...starting to remind me of often-injured Jennings.

[ Edited by mcbaes72 on Jun 30, 2010 at 07:53:17 ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I woulda cut his ass the second he got injured again. The staff is prob keepin him tho for competition, if they cut him now it makes it too easy for the other WRs.

But he'll be gone. I understand why hey made the signing at the time, but we have no use for him now.
Keep in mind that at the time we signed Brandon Jones, it was unknown if Isaac Bruce would play another season for the 49ers. Also, not many people thought we would've had the opportunity to draft Michael Crabtree in the '09 draft.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by global_nomad:
1. Crabtree
2. Morgan
3A. J. Hill
3B. Ginn
5. K. Williams (Will make team as PR)
6A. Jones (no value)
6B. Ziegler his skinny frame just doesn't make him a top athlete at this level.

This shouldn't be a surprise/news to anyone.

i agree kyle williams will make the team. but vann will be the pr.. imo he comes in with a lead cause of the record he holds. williams imo will have to take it from him
Originally posted by fan49:
1. Crabtree
2. Morgan
3A. J. Hill
3B. Ginn
6A. Jones (no value)

i agree kyle williams will make the team. but vann will be the pr.. imo he comes in with a lead cause of the record he holds. williams imo will have to take it from him

Vann's records are impressive, but because he didn't play in a top NCAA conference they are taken with a grain of salt.

He will really have to separate himself from everyone else in the competition, and after a month of practice, he hasn't done that yet, soo.........when is he going to show up?
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fan49:
1. Crabtree
2. Morgan
3A. J. Hill
3B. Ginn
6A. Jones (no value)

Vann's records are impressive, but because he didn't play in a top NCAA conference they are taken with a grain of salt.

He will really have to separate himself from everyone else in the competition, and after a month of practice, he hasn't done that yet, soo.........when is he going to show up?

And according to reports Williams has been catching the ball the best which is the #1 thing to Singletary. I think Vann will be one of the KRs with Williams and Williams will be the PR.
1. Crabtree
2. Morgan
3A. J. Hill
3B. Ginn
6A. Jones (no value)

This
Jones definitely has some talent as he exhibited last year (granted it was camp), but he has the injury bug. It always seems to be something and we know how patient Sing is about such things. I believe Coach will finally give up on the guy with just one more little niggling injury unless he absolutely tears it up in camp and preseason again. If he makes it that far. Too bad, 'cause he's got the goods to at least be a 2 or 3.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Keep in mind that at the time we signed Brandon Jones, it was unknown if Isaac Bruce would play another season for the 49ers. Also, not many people thought we would've had the opportunity to draft Michael Crabtree in the '09 draft.

Both very good points. But one reason I felt uneasy with Jones' signing was it seemed like we were signing him for his deep-threat ability, but I was wondering if 1) our QBs had the arm strength to deliver the ball on downfield routes and 2) if our O-line was mature/talented enough to buy time for the route to unfold. I don't think we really got to see alot of these results last season.

These are probably mute points now as it appears Jones may be fighting an uphill battle for a roster spot.
i hope we cut him.

I don't understand why anyone would want to cut him right now. One or more of the WR are going to get hurt at camp they do every yr. Pull A hammy or something. He'll maybe one of them. And hill could be the other. Jones is a good player in tenn they ran the ball. and what nagging injury did he have i think last yr he broke his shoulder blade??? am I right???? let him play in training camp and if he is one of the 4 or 5 best wr keep him if he is not then cut him. I don't think he is an all pro WR but I think he can be as good or better then Hill.

We have a Brandon Jones sighting!
Originally posted by PTulini:

We have a Brandon Jones sighting!

booo! boo this man!
Just let the competition begin ------ and let's see where it takes the WR group. Brandon Jones needs to stay healthy to even have a shot.

[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Aug 2, 2010 at 02:51:42 ]
Hopefully, he lights it up in the preseason and generates some trade value.

When they went after him, they were thinking it was the last year for Bruce and Morgan would have the other side, with Hill being developed in the slot. Nobody envisioned Crabtree being available.

Crabtree has pretty much Jones a none entity, because unlike Hill, Willliams and even Zeigler...he doesn't help out much on ST. When you're talking about your 4th receiver, you're not thinking about a guy that makes that much dime and doesn't excel as a returner or gunner.
Share 49ersWebzone