There are 244 users in the forums

WR Brandon Jones: On the outside looking in

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giggidy:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by Grigga2021:
Cut Brandon Jones, develope Williams. I really feel that Jason Hill has earned playing time at least 4 the rotation....Hill had more td's in one game the Jones had catches all season.

Ziegler had a better 08 then Jones did 09.

CUT JONES SIGN OWENS!

This team is finally heading in the right direction. We dont need that cancer on our team.

I agree with not signing Owens - we need to devote our time with developing the young WRs who will have the largest impact in this O: namely, Crabtree and Morgan. I'm not saying to neglect Hill and/or Williams or say they don't have the required talent to play in this O, but if we're going to run a "run first" O then training our WRs to stretch the field and create separation needs to be a priority (Ginn would also fall into this category but, IMO, he has more to prove than Crab and/or Morgan).

The value I see with quick, slot-type guys like Hill and Williams will be on quick outs with man-coverage, preferably using play-action (don't know if Smith can deliver on these throws, however). All that said, I don't see Jones having a skill set that sets him apart from our other WRs.

Well stated . We rarely have more than 2 receiver sets and I dont see us keeping more than 4 receivers. Williams sounds like he would be the exception because of his return value, but other than that, we should be fine with Crabs, Morgan, Ginn, and Hill.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Bryant Johnson would have been so much better.

Why we didn't hold onto him is beyond me. Hes much better than Arnaz Battle and Brandon Jones and barely dropped passes.

I was so upset when we let B. Johnson go and signed this dude. Some agreed with me while others said Jones will be an improvement. Ha! How many Jones' fans are still out there? This guy was a nice attempt to boost the WR position in FA (before we drafted Crabtree), but it'll soon be an over-paid FAIL when he gets cut. Another great move by McAlcohol.
Going... Going... Gone!
This guy was a complete waste of time, money and roster spot.
Originally posted by NinerGold39:

Agreed. Good luck playing for the Jags or the Lions or the Rams... We no longer give out roster spots for underachievers. You have to MAKE this team now
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Agreed. Good luck playing for the Jags or the Lions or the Rams... We no longer give out roster spots for underachievers. You have to MAKE this team now

He'll go to the Bucs and tear it up like that Bryant guy.
He never really had a chance of making an impact. His vaginal bleeding always got in the way
Brandon Jones Fail goes farther than you know.

I Jones and Ziggy are gone, we will have one young WR Core:

Crabs -- Second Year
Morgan -- Third Year
Ginn -- Fourth Year
Hill -- Fourth Year
Williams Rookie

I like it, these guys are going to grow together as a unit

Rooting for Hill because he went to my Alma Mater, Sacred Heart
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

Crabs -- Second Year
Morgan -- Third Year
Ginn -- Fourth Year
Hill -- Fourth Year
Williams Rookie

I've always been a fan of Hill's, I don't know what he did to never get any starting time.

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

He'll go to the Bucs and tear it up like that Bryant guy.

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Bryant Johnson would have been so much better.

Why we didn't hold onto him is beyond me. Hes much better than Arnaz Battle and Brandon Jones and barely dropped passes.

I was so upset when we let B. Johnson go and signed this dude. Some agreed with me while others said Jones will be an improvement. Ha! How many Jones' fans are still out there? This guy was a nice attempt to boost the WR position in FA (before we drafted Crabtree), but it'll soon be an over-paid FAIL when he gets cut. Another great move by McAlcohol.

Well there was some upside to Brandon Jones. You could argue that he didn't have booming numbers because Vince Young doesn't pass a whole lot. He was respected by his teammates and he had Brandon Lloyd-like catching ability for some horribly thrown passes.

But Bryant Johnson would have been much better if he would have accepted a 3 yr/9m deal (he got more from the Lions). Why we kept Bruce over Johnson is well beyond my thought process.
Originally posted by RumphLegacy:
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

Crabs -- Second Year
Morgan -- Third Year
Ginn -- Fourth Year
Hill -- Fourth Year
Williams Rookie

I've always been a fan of Hill's, I don't know what he did to never get any starting time.

He's had nagging injuries. Especially during Training Camp. Its hard to build momentum into the season when you can't practice the first half of training camp, then when you look great in the 4th preseason game, its hard to be taken seriously with all the scrubs getting most the playing time.

But I like his game, like you, I think he is a gamer. Also what hurts him is that Raye was using Vernon as a 3rd WR in shot gun sets last year. He didn't see much playing time because of that. But he has high value IMO as a 3rd WR or providing depth (if he's healthy) if someone gets nicked up.
I'm not sure I agree he was a bad signing...former coach Jeff Fisher had nothing but good things to say about Brandon's time with the Titans. I think it's more bad luck...maybe bad karma. Whatever it is, he truly is on the outside looking in...well put. I think this will be Jason Hill's year to finally shine...he's a guy who can probably relate to what Brandon's been through. I also think Kyle Williams makes the team, making it even less likely Jones will. Being multi-skilled like KW is gives him a better shot.
Share 49ersWebzone