LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 291 users in the forums

WR Brandon Jones: On the outside looking in

Shop Find 49ers gear online
ProFootballTalk.com

Quote:
Signing Brandon Jones was not one of former 49ers G.M. Scot McCloughan's finer moments.

Originally drafted by the Titans, Jones received $5.4 million guaranteed last February despite very little career production and a history injuries.

Jones typically got hurt in training camp last year, then was lost in the shuffle behind Michael Crabtree, Isaac Bruce, and Josh Morgan. Jones caught exactly one pass all season. (To be fair, his 18 yards-per-catch average was impressive.)

Now entering year two in San Francisco, Jones looks unlikely to even make the team.

"Right now, he's on outside looking in," Matt Maiocco of Comcast Sports Bay Area writes. "[Jones] needs a big-time training camp."

With a $2.145 million salary, Jones probably needs more than a big camp. He needs players in front of him like Jason Hill and Ted Ginn to get hurt.

I asked Matt Maiocco the question on Twitter here:

Quote:
MaioccoCSN: Right now, he's on outside looking in. He needs a big-time training camp. RT @PTulini What are the chances WR Brandon Jones is cut?

about 3 hours ago
he won't make it
Well, that's what training camp is all about. Hopefully Jones will be healthy enough to compete for a spot on the roster, and if he's better than Hill/Ziegler/Williams etc., then he'll be on the team.

Interesting challenge for the coaches to decide.

[ Edited by Yetiman on Jun 28, 2010 at 20:27:07 ]
atleast we gets cut it'll be easy to put together his highlight reel
good. don't we save money if he's cut? horrible signing... smh
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Bryant Johnson would have been so much better.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GEEK:
Bryant Johnson would have been so much better.

Why we didn't hold onto him is beyond me. Hes much better than Arnaz Battle and Brandon Jones and barely dropped passes.
outside looking in is an understatement
1. Crabtree
2. Morgan
3A. J. Hill
3B. Ginn
5. K. Williams (Will make team as PR)
6A. Jones (no value)
6B. Ziegler his skinny frame just doesn't make him a top athlete at this level.

This shouldn't be a surprise/news to anyone.
Cut Brandon Jones, develope Williams. I really feel that Jason Hill has earned playing time at least 4 the rotation....Hill had more td's in one game the Jones had catches all season.

Ziegler had a better 08 then Jones did 09.

CUT JONES SIGN OWENS!

He's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay outside.
Yeah, i think that might be an understatement as well. If I remember correctly, the coaches didn't really want him. McCloughan did. With the one guy who brought him here gone, I think the writing is on the wall for Jones.
Originally posted by Grigga2021:
Cut Brandon Jones, develope Williams. I really feel that Jason Hill has earned playing time at least 4 the rotation....Hill had more td's in one game the Jones had catches all season.

CUT JONES SIGN OWENS!

This team is finally heading in the right direction. We dont need that cancer on our team.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by Grigga2021:

CUT JONES SIGN OWENS!

This team is finally heading in the right direction. We dont need that cancer on our team.

I agree with not signing Owens - we need to devote our time with developing the young WRs who will have the largest impact in this O: namely, Crabtree and Morgan. I'm not saying to neglect Hill and/or Williams or say they don't have the required talent to play in this O, but if we're going to run a "run first" O then training our WRs to stretch the field and create separation needs to be a priority (Ginn would also fall into this category but, IMO, he has more to prove than Crab and/or Morgan).

The value I see with quick, slot-type guys like Hill and Williams will be on quick outs with man-coverage, preferably using play-action (don't know if Smith can deliver on these throws, however). All that said, I don't see Jones having a skill set that sets him apart from our other WRs.
cut this bum already.
Share 49ersWebzone