There are 242 users in the forums

My Good ole look towards the Future

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yes, Early I know, but what the hell, im bored and want something to do so here it is.

The salary cap will hopefully be in effect in 2011. And if so, i expect it to be in the 140M range, which would leave us after signing our 2010 rookie class, around $35-$40 Million to spend on FA's, keeping our own(VD, Goldson, Alex, maybe Lawson, Aubrayo) and Draft Picks.

Now 1st is the players, who I believe have a bright future with the team.

at QB If Alex Smith is what I believe and we all hope for, he will be the QB for the next 5-10 years. Nate Davis would likely come in in the future as the #2 Guy after having 4 yrs of Experience.

RB- Gore isnt getting any younger, but he still has alot left in the tank IMO, Dixon is a dark horse IMO, he will be the one IMO who will be the RB of the Future. Coffee is a question mark, I like him, and hope he improves in 2010, if not he is a goner.

FB- well no one is safe here, Norris is solid and Caulcrick and Miller are unknowns. I trust Norris more than these rooks/young guys.

at WR Crabtree, Morgan and maybe Ginn have a future with the team. Crabs and Morgan are for sure. After 2011 Morgan is a FA, but should be locked up before then, say a 5yr deal worth 12.5M with 5M Guaranteed. Kyle Williams should be here IMO as our returner, Jones and Hill are goners after 2010 IMO and maybe even sooner.

TE is Set as long as VD wants to be here, he has all the talent, he has matured and proved it in 2009. Delanie is a solid # 2 guy. My question is whether Byham, who Im high on, is gonna pan out or is he another Bear Pascoe, Im praying for the 1st band not the latter.

OL- Staley, Davis, Iupati are really the only ones I trust besides Heitmann. With that said, we need improvement from Rachal, Baas, Snyder and Wragge or else we will be looking at a RG, Backup OG, Backup Tackle and swing OL in the next few drafts.

DL- Franklin(As long as he stays), Justin Smith, Ray McDonald(If he stays on the right track) are my locks for the future. Sopoaga is garbage IMO, as is Evans. I like the LSU Kid Ricky Jean-Francois as our backup Swing DL who can play DE, and NT. Balmer must improve or we should take the cap hit and cut ties.

LB- Willis, well nuff said he is a beast and our best player. Signed a 5yr 50M extension. Lawson stays if he improves and doesnt demand way way too much, like Dansby money. Now Brooks is my dark horse, he is a stud in the making. As for Haralson, not completely sold on him, but should be here for a few yrs. Bowman is gonna show people he was better than a 3rd rd pick and a late 3rd at that. Spikes IMO should be kept for vet presence. He is solid and a team guy. I worry about McKillop, he doesnt seem to be in the coaches good grace. Wilhelm is a 1yr guy, may or may not make the team. Briggs and the rest need impressive TC's for them to be a factor.

DB- Mays, Goldson, Nate, Spencer, Brown are the long terms guys IMO, Lewis if healthy stays as a mentor and starter till Mays is ready. Taylor, Smith and the rest like Paymah and James are 1 yr guys. While Phillip Adams is a sleeper IMO and should make this squad. Now Vann and the other UDFAs need to show something, Vann is my Sleeper of that group.

ST- MRob, Nedney, Lee and Jennings are all we got at STs and they are the best group you could ask for, they stay for a long time.

Now, I believe we need to address certain areas if not all pans out the way we want it too.

QB
couple WRs
Blocking TE
RG
OG
OT
Swing Lineman(DL and OL)
NT
CB
backup CBs
Safety

ok so thats about 14 or so guys we need to pickup, unless Alex and Goldson stay and Byham pan out, we might be able to address all in 2011 offseason, of course this all hinges on a New CBA being approved, and a cap in place.

Sorry for the long entry, but thats my thoughts and Im sticking to it.
I want Jason Hill to supplant Morgan as the #2 WR, and I believe it can happen.

[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Jun 26, 2010 at 20:44:37 ]
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

THIS, and I don't think we will sign abrayo next year.. Either we will try to get a stud in the draft, RJF will step up, or some other scenario.

I think Hill can be a good #3
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

me too, hill can be awesome if given the playing time.
Originally posted by Snider8706:

Surprised to see so much support for this.

1. Hill has never been able to stay healthy enough to warrant increased playing time.

2. Morgan is the best blocking WR on our team, Hill is probably second to only Zeiglar in his lack of ability in this regard (not counting Williams, we don't know about him yet). A WR who can't block isn't going to start in Raye's offense. It just isn't going to happen.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by Snider8706:

Surprised to see so much support for this.

1. Hill has never been able to stay healthy enough to warrant increased playing time.

2. Morgan is the best blocking WR on our team, Hill is probably second to only Zeiglar in his lack of ability in this regard (not counting Williams, we don't know about him yet). A WR who can't block isn't going to start in Raye's offense. It just isn't going to happen.

Last time I checked WRs were supposed to score TDs and hill can do that better then Morgan......Morgan has played to many minutes with no impact on the game.

Morgan had 52 rec. And 3 TDs
hill had 9 rec. And 2 TDs!!!!

Morgan may be a good blocker but he is a WR not a Lineman.

[ Edited by Snider8706 on Jun 26, 2010 at 23:43:33 ]
morgan is not as good as many think

Originally posted by YorkHater:

Neither is Hill.
Good outlook for the future
I felt that the OP was a bit rushed and could have been more thorough. Still, it's far better than the plethora of one-liners and garbage posts that we must skim through on a daily basis.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by YorkHater:

Neither is Hill.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Good outlook for the future

thanks, i tried to be as open minded as possible.
Share 49ersWebzone