LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 394 users in the forums

Our secondary is good at the very least top 10

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by global_nomad:
WE have no true speed in the secondary. It was hard to watch teams with fast receivers (ATL, and GB) torch us all over the field with WRs that produced true match up problems for our DBs.

We match up nicely with bigger stronger guys (Fitzgerald, and A. Johnson last year) but I don't think we have a championship Secondary by any means.

Agreed. We don't have a true shut down corner on the roster and at this stage of his career Clements gets torched far to regularly to stay on the edge. He should be starting FS wtih Goldston moving to SS. We also have very little proven depth on the outside. An injury could put us in a world of trouble.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
I think our secondary is better and deeper than Niner Talk gives it credit for.

Niner Talk likes to fret aimlessly.

Better? Yes. Deeper? No.

are u kidding not deeper james aka will peterson and paymah were starters. so how did we not get deeper?
[ Edited by fan49 on Jul 1, 2010 at 11:50 PM ]
our defense overall is top 10 if not top 5, i really believe that, obviously our run d is our strength, but our secondary is gonna get better this year, dashon is a probowler in 2 years and lewis is serviceable until mays is ready...we have really nice depth at corner, we just need nate to play up to his salary!
Originally posted by Mookster:
WE have no true speed in the secondary. It was hard to watch teams with fast receivers (ATL, and GB) torch us all over the field with WRs that produced true match up problems for our DBs.

We match up nicely with bigger stronger guys (Fitzgerald, and A. Johnson last year) but I don't think we have a championship Secondary by any means.

Agreed. We don't have a true shut down corner on the roster and at this stage of his career Clements gets torched far to regularly to stay on the edge. He should be starting FS wtih Goldston moving to SS. We also have very little proven depth on the outside. An injury could put us in a world of trouble.

Here is an article that states just about everything I did 4 weeks ago:

There's always a story behind the statistics. The team padded their stats against some very bad performances and teams. For example, they intercepted a thoroughly flummoxed Jay Cutler five times, and they sacked St. Louis quarterbacks eight times in a meaningless season finale...

In fact, Arizona was the only team with a winning record the 49ers defeated last year. Otherwise, the defense struggled against Green Bay, Minnesota, Indianapolis, Philadelphia, and Houston. In most of those games they put themselves in big holes. They trailed in Philly 20-3 at one point, fell behind 23-3 in Green Bay, and 21-0 in Houston. And they consistently got torched by fast players: Eagle DeSean Jackson, 140 yards, Green Bay's Greg Jennings, 126 yards, Atlanta's Roddy White, 210 yards.

In those games, the 49ers seemed stunned by the opposition's speed and by the time they recovered, the game was over. Yet the 49ers will march into the opener this year with the exact same defensive lineup as last season barring injury. Not one change.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=67473#ixzz0t9HdxHzG

and s**t we have to play GB and ATL again, both on the road! And Philly here.
Licking asses!

There's always a story behind the statistics. The team padded their stats against some very bad performances and teams. For example, they intercepted a thoroughly flummoxed Jay Cutler five times, and they sacked St. Louis quarterbacks eight times in a meaningless season finale...

In fact, Arizona was the only team with a winning record the 49ers defeated last year. Otherwise, the defense struggled against Green Bay, Minnesota, Indianapolis, Philadelphia, and Houston. In most of those games they put themselves in big holes. They trailed in Philly 20-3 at one point, fell behind 23-3 in Green Bay, and 21-0 in Houston. And they consistently got torched by fast players: Eagle DeSean Jackson, 140 yards, Green Bay's Greg Jennings, 126 yards, Atlanta's Roddy White, 210 yards.

In those games, the 49ers seemed stunned by the opposition's speed and by the time they recovered, the game was over. Yet the 49ers will march into the opener this year with the exact same defensive lineup as last season barring injury. Not one change.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=67473#ixzz0t9HdxHzG

This is my line of thought also.. And I have been saying it since the lions game, our stats lie because we get to play the rams twice a year.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

This is my line of thought also.. And I have been saying it since the lions game, our stats lie because we get to play the rams twice a year.

Then i guess Bal and Pitt stats lie b/c they get to play the browns 2 times a year....RIGHT??? or Minn or GB b/c they get to play the LIONS 2 times a year...

Guess what everyone???? Most every great D has a weak team in the division or on schedule to pad stats. And A LOT of other teams played the rams and NOT ONE TEAM or DEFENSE did better against them. What in 2 games many int's sacks fumbles td on D and 3 points in 2 games....NO OTHER TEAM DID that good AGAINST THE RAMS.

I really hope that's the end of that argument!
Nate Clements is still a top corner in the league. just because he isn't a shutdown doesn't mean he isn't as effective. lets put it this way, the style of play of Revis leaves it to where only one player is concerned with him( 2 if you count the Qb i guess) but clements can put the hurt on any player at anytime. i bet if you ask Jason Witten who hes more scared of he would for sure say clements. and as for them him not being fast enough for speedy receivers, its not that he isn't fast enough, its that hes so cocky he leads on receivers faster than him to try for the pick but it bites him in the ass. Having said that, i don't think Nate Clements will make those same mistakes this year. I'm looking forward to both Nate Clements and our secondary as a unit having a big year.
Share 49ersWebzone