LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 164 users in the forums

Niners Alex Boone featured in NFL: On the Fringe series

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Boone biggest challenge is beating out Barry Simms. It all depends on upside which Boone has over Simms. If he continues to progress and shine during the preseason he will make the team.

My perdition at o-line depth chart of 9.

LT: Staley, Boone
LG: Baas, Iupati
C: Heitmann, Wragge
RG: Rachal
RT: Snyder, Davis

Cuts:
Wallace - never showed much and beaten out due to the versatility of Snyder, Wragge, and Iupati.
Simms - savvy veteran who's at the end of road. Coaching staff decides to go with the much improved (and younger) Alex Boone.

Snyder starts season as the starting RT but gives way to Anthony Davis by mid-season. Baas manages to hold off Iupati at LG.

I would love it if Boone could beat out Snyder....

There are only a few back-up spots and all back-ups need to play at least 2 positions.

I can't see how Wallace makes the team.

Wallace makes the team cause he can play both Guard AND Center and because he also has value on ST. Remember there has to be Linemen on the field even for return team duty.

I don't ever remember seeing Snyder on the field in that capacity.

Doesn't matter though, I doubt that we lose any of our Linemen prior to the final 53 man roster list.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Jun 23, 2010 at 16:58:50 ]
Boone biggest challenge is beating out Barry Simms. It all depends on upside which Boone has over Simms. If he continues to progress and shine during the preseason he will make the team.

Cuts:
Wallace - never showed much and beaten out due to the versatility of Snyder, Wragge, and Iupati.
Simms - savvy veteran who's at the end of road. Coaching staff decides to go with the much improved (and younger) Alex Boone.

Snyder starts season as the starting RT but gives way to Anthony Davis by mid-season. Baas manages to hold off Iupati at LG.

I say both Iupati and Davis start from day 1. Snyder will be cut with Simms backing up LT and Boone backing up RT.
Originally posted by saj4423:

Cuts:

I say both Iupati and Davis start from day 1. Snyder will be cut with Simms backing up LT and Boone backing up RT.

Agreed, even for being a 3-dimensional player, Adam Snyder still sucks within every sort of dimension he trials through (whether he's been stable enough to learn at one position long enough or not).

Was the worst RT in the NFL during 2009, that says enough.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
latest installment

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/09000d5d81984125/Boone-ready-to-shine
using him exclusively at left tackle....
Snyder isn't getting cut. Sorry guys. Boone's only chance is if he outplays Sims.
Alex Boone gets owned by Webzone Targeted Bust Kentwan Balmer:

T Alex Boone struggled in the nutcracker. He wound up on the ground against both Kentwan Balmer and Justin Smith, and OLB Parys Haralson slipped past him on a combo.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/08/anthony-davis-vs-khalif-mitchell.html
Compliments of Ninertico

OT Alex Boone vs. OLB Ahmad Brooks. This was the marquee event. On the first snap, Boone rode Brooks out of the play. "I can tell you that was one of your better ones," a happy Mike Solari told Boone after. On snap two, however, Brooks started outside but then tore inside with an impressive move that would have crushed the quarterback.Somebody yelled for a tiebreaker, so the two lined up for a rare third battle. That one, sadly, turned out to be a stalemate. Verdict: Draw.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/08/mckillop-carted.html#ixzz0viGP1gdB

I hope he breaks out this year. He certainly has RB moves to use as our pass rushing demon. I guess he's using those on that inside move, huh? Looking forward to our OLBs getting more QB meat, bout time too.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=143516&page=47
Practice squad one more year.

Starters
LT Staley
LG Iupati
C Heitmann
RG Rachal
RT Snyder initially, then Davis.

With injuries, you can see the back up line with Wragge at Center, Snyder sliding to guard, and Davis starting RT.

Back ups, Sims LT, Snyder RT, Guard, Baas, Guard Center, Wragge Guard Center.

Boone will not make it barring injuries to the above. Practice Squad
I agree that it would be risky to put Boone on the PS. However, it's a little risky to cut Sims and keep Boone. That would leave the team with 2 OTs with very little EXP.

Davis will likely be a great player, but he's a rookie and THERE WILL BE GROWING PAINS. Boone most likely still needs some time before the team can rely on him. Snyder is just horrible at tackle, flat horrible. Without Sims, that leaves Staley as the team's only reliable tackle, LEFT TACKLE at that. So, what happens IF Staley goes down with an injury like last season? Sims played great while Staley was out. I doubt Boone or Davis are ready to play at that level if needed.

SO, it boils down to which you think causes the most risk for the team. Keep Boone on the 53 so that another team won't snatch him up and cut Sims. Or waive Boone to the practice squad and pray another team doesn't snatch him up to keep Sims on the 53 as a very valueable back up at LT. ???????

Man, isn't this a great problem to have? The team is finally getting some good depth at important spots. Just a few years ago the Niners were scouring the waiver wire for other team's leftovers.

[ Edited by AKfanster on Aug 5, 2010 at 17:30:35 ]

Originally posted by AKfanster:
I agree that it would be risky to put Boone on the PS. However, it's a little risky to cut Sims and keep Boone. That would leave the team with 2 OTs with very little EXP.

Davis will likely be a great player, but he's a rookie and THERE WILL BE GROWING PAINS. Boone most likely still needs some time before the team can rely on him. Snyder is just horrible at tackle, flat horrible. Without Sims, that leaves Staley as the team's only reliable tackle, LEFT TACKLE at that. So, what happens IF Staley goes down with an injury like last season? Sims played great while Staley was out. I doubt Boone or Davis are ready to play at that level if needed.

SO, it boils down to which you think causes the most risk for the team. Keep Boone on the 53 so that another team won't snatch him up and cut Sims. Or waive Boone to the practice squad and pray another team doesn't snatch him up to keep Sims on the 53 as a very valueable back up at LT. ???????

Man, isn't this a great problem to have? The team is finally getting some good depth at important spots. Just a few years ago the Niners were scouring the waiver wire for other team's leftovers.

Or you have Staley, Iupati, Heittmann, Rachal, Davis with Sims, Wragge, Snyder, Baas, Boone. They may end up keeping Boone on the main team to protect him because they can not risk him on the PS.
They might keep 10 offensive linemen on the 53, but don't they normally keep 8 or 9? If that's the case, another spot will have less depth than normal.

However, I do like the idea of keeping them all on the 53 man roster. You can never have enough defensive backs or offensive tackles.
i dont know why but for some reason i feel like he will eventually be the right tackle and davis is going to flop
Originally posted by GoreForMore:
i dont know why but for some reason i feel like he will eventually be the right tackle and davis is going to flop

Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by GoreForMore:

lol i know i just have a bad vibe for some reason i pray that im wrong though
Share 49ersWebzone