There are 145 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Forget About the Secondary - NT Is Now a HUGE Concern for 2010

Originally posted by KknighthawkK_9er:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Franklin will show up at training camp without a doubt. He is not going to kiss off a $ 7 million payday so he isn't going anywhere. Will the Niners sign him long term? Who cares? This year is the most important thing and Franklin will be there for the jack.

Roger that.

And for those of you wishing for depth at NT -- It doesn't exist. NT is the most difficult position in football to find, and likewise assess. We haven't drafted one because there has not been one in our draft range that has been worthy of serving as a backup at the position.

Name a rookie, or better, a 3 year vet or less in the past.............ever that has made an impact @ the 3-4 NT. Good luck. Besides, maybe our NT of the future is already on the roster.

We could just have took vince wilfork and never looked back.
Originally posted by KknighthawkK_9er:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Franklin will show up at training camp without a doubt. He is not going to kiss off a $ 7 million payday so he isn't going anywhere. Will the Niners sign him long term? Who cares? This year is the most important thing and Franklin will be there for the jack.

Roger that.

And for those of you wishing for depth at NT -- It doesn't exist. NT is the most difficult position in football to find, and likewise assess. We haven't drafted one because there has not been one in our draft range that has been worthy of serving as a backup at the position.

Name a rookie, or better, a 3 year vet or less in the past.............ever that has made an impact @ the 3-4 NT. Good luck. Besides, maybe our NT of the future is already on the roster.

Hmmm. There was that 4 year vet got picked up couple of years ago. What was his name?

Aubreyo something?
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:
Hanyesworth wants to be traded....just saying

Uhh, the reason why he wants to leave Washington is because they're switching to a 3-4.

-9fA

fail

Elaborate?

-9fA

I think he means fail on Haynesworth's part for wanting to leave for that stupid reason.

Albert's making a $100 mil. Play the 3-4 nose douche.

oh, I thought the fail meant my post was completely off.

-9fA

It was!!

No just kidding!!

Ya think Franklin will get "light-headed" and then "tweak his hammy" resulting in him taking himself out of games? LOL!!
I still think this is a valid concern. If Franklin understands he's he's the key to the defense, why wouldn't he hold out for more money. The 49ers can't field a decent defense without him.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I still think this is a valid concern. If Franklin understands he's he's the key to the defense, why wouldn't he hold out for more money. The 49ers can't field a decent defense without him.

He is NOT the key to our defense. Willis is. NT is an important position, but even if we have to put Soapoaga or RJF in there, we're still going to have a tough defense that's stout against the run.

Franklin is just a guy with average talent that works hard to develop his technique. His best attribute is probably his smarts. He's always getting compliments on his knowledge of the game.

I'm not saying RJF will be better, but he is more physically talented and seems to be working extremely hard. IMO, the longer Franklin sits out this offseason, the better we'll be in the long run because RJF is getting valuable reps at NT and right now, he's our future at nose.
Originally posted by strickac:

He is NOT the key to our defense. Willis is. NT is an important position, but even if we have to put Soapoaga or RJF in there, we're still going to have a tough defense that's stout against the run.

Franklin is just a guy with average talent that works hard to develop his technique. His best attribute is probably his smarts. He's always getting compliments on his knowledge of the game.

I'm not saying RJF will be better, but he is more physically talented and seems to be working extremely hard. IMO, the longer Franklin sits out this offseason, the better we'll be in the long run because RJF is getting valuable reps at NT and right now, he's our future at nose.

Franklin wasn't anything special until Manusky changed to the one-gap. I don't recall... has Sopoaga had a turn at NT in the one-gap?
Originally posted by strickac:

Please explain how a 3-4 is stout against the run without the teams best NT? It's not about Franklin's relative talent to the league being average isn't the issue - the point is he's the best this team has and unless they are considering making a blockbuster trade and investing a LT contract, there's no one better on the market.

It's like saying RT isn't the key to the offense. Well that may be true from an absolute point of view, but without someone effective at that position, the entire group's effectiveness is diminished.

Bottom line - we don't have anyone better. Soap is not better than Franklin at NT. RFJ is not better than Franklin at NT - and we think it will be a "plug-and-play" situation, the offense will need a MONSTER year to compensate for all the teams able to run roughshod over us.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
f**k franklin. ONE decent year and he suddenly thinks he's Albert Haynsworth?

lol this

Naw but he wants to play and the only way to earn a long term deal form the Niners or any team after s**t season is to play. He'll only hurt himself holding out.
Originally posted by lamontb:

Naw but he wants to play and the only way to earn a long term deal form the Niners or any team after s**t season is to play. He'll only hurt himself holding out.

Hurt his chances of signing a long-term deal with the 49ers. He will definitely have market value regardless of whether he holds out or not. It would be in his best interest to not get hurt and have another stellar season like last year to cement his franchise NT label.

Either way, there is a very little chance of him returning to the 49ers after this year.
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Jul 15, 2010 at 12:06 PM ]
if he thinks hes getting the contract he wants from this team he's dreaming. he needs to sign his one year deal and go out there and bust his azz. at the end of the season he should thank the coaching staff for helping him get to a position as to where ply his trade on the open market in a supposed position of advantage. idk imho when NFL contract is resolved he should count himself lucky if they offer him a 3 year deal for say 10-15, after all when the dust settles he's gonna be a year older maybe a year less valuable. if they have to franchise him again then the front office has f**ked up.
[ Edited by Allx9er on Jul 15, 2010 at 12:48 PM ]
Has Franklin signed yet?

Has Franklin signed yet?

At this point, I'm not going to sweat it if Franklin signs his tender or doesn't.

Maybe his feelings are hurt because the Niners didn't sign him to a long-term deal, but GET OVER IT. Take the $7 million paycheck, play your butt off and then (if there's football next season) if you perform on the field that big payday and contract will come.

If he signs, great. If he doesn't sign, the Niners move on. The show must go on and we can't bag the season for one guy too dumb to know what the smart move is.

But anyone so stupid as to leave millions of dollars on the table because of their bruised ego isn't someone I want to count on anyway.

I WANT WINNERS, NOT WHINERS!
i total agree with the want winners not whiners, buuuuuuuuuuuuut patrick willis and the other 4 starting/rotation starting olb and ilb including willis have said that (there sucess) meaning willis's sucess particularly the total number of tackles he has is due in large part to a. franklins ability to plug up inside holes for the opposition's running game. he's just got such a great presents that he cannot only go unblocked but more or less the opposition will double team hiim.

your thoughts anyone?
he ain't gonna give up $7 mil this year, relax