There are 313 users in the forums

is gore a future hall of famer???

Shop Find 49ers gear online

is gore a future hall of famer???

Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
No.

Not even sure he'd have his jersey retired for us, at this point.

wow, i cant believe you would say that after all the 49er records gore broke. nfl hall of fan? no. 49er jersey retired? should be. he broke a ton of niner records, man.

The day we drafted him, I told my mom and 2 friends that's Gore could very well be our all-time rushing leader when all is said and done. I hope I'm right. I've just seen too many backs lack longevity because of the pounding their bodies take on every play. If he does become tops, then I can see his number getting retired, but still fall short of The Hall.

Weird. I remember telling your mom the exact same thing.

Anyway...

Gore is 3,128 yards behind Joe Perry. Assuming he's healthy, he'll pass Ken Willard this season and Roger Craig next season. Then, the 49ers will have to extend Gore if he wants a crack at passing Perry in 2012. It's probable, though signing a 29 year old running back to a extension is largely seen as a mistake.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Feel free to skip the puke of stats... bottom line as much as I like Gore, he is NOT a HOF'er.

This really isn't up for debate. NO, Gore is not a HOF'er. He needs to duplicate his current production for at least 5 more years AND the team would need to have some playoff success (win a freaking Super Bowl). More than likely Gore would need to keep up his current production for 6-7 years = 12000 - 13000 yards and 80 Tds. Gore is currently 26... barring something amazing he will NOT make the HOF. His yards per carry average is great, but he had 1 great statistical year... and the rest are average. Is it possible that he could become a HOF RB - yes, but not likely.

FYI - Daunte Culpepper has more career rushing TD's than Frank Gore.

Gore - 5561 yards and 32 TD's in 5 seasons (10 yrs = 11,122 yds 64 tds)
Steven Jackson 6707 yds 41 Tds in 6 seasons - HOF'er?
Larry Johnson 6219 yds 55 TD's in 7 seasons - HOF'er?
Willis McGahee 5787 yards 50 tds in 6 seasons - HOF'er

C.Dillon - 11241 yds 82 tds and a Super Bowl - HOF'er?
F.Taylor 11540 yds 66 tds - HOF'er?
R.Watters - 10643 yds 78 tds and a Super Bowl - HOF'er?

RB's with at least 10,000 yards rushing who are not currently in the HOF (TD's)

14000+
Curtis Martin (90)

13000+
Jerome Bettis (91)

12000+
LT (138)
Marshall Faulk (100)
Edgerrin James (80)

11000+
Fred Taylor (66)
Corey Dillon (82)

10000+
Warrick Dunn (49)
Ricky Watters (78)
Jamal Lewis (58)
Tiki Barber (55)
Eddie George (68)
Ottis Anderson (81)

9ers RB's - 1)Craig 2) Watters then its a crap shoot at this point...

Gore and Hearst's #'s while in SF.... ooooh eerie.
Gore 5yrs 73 games 1168 att 5561 yds 32 TD 4.8 y/c 76.2 y/g 22 fum
Hearst 5yrs 73games 1189 att 5535 yds 26 TD 4.7 y/c 75.8 y/g 13 fum
Originally posted by Pick6:

Culpepper has played eleven NFL seasons. Why are you comparing an NFL veteran with twice as many games played against Frank Gore?

Your mathematics don't take into account that Gore sat behind Kevan Barlow during the entire 2005 season. Gore has averaged 1,213 yards 7.25 touchdowns per season as the feature running back in four season. Taking into account this error, Gore would end up with 12,000+ yards rushing and 68 rushing touchdowns through the age of 32 if he averages 1,200 yards a season for five seasons. Assuming the offense improves from Gore's first five seasons, I have no doubt his production will actually increase over this span.

I'd argue that Steven Jackson is well on his way to the Hall of Fame, assuming he continues his pace through the age of 32.

Larry Johnson and Willis McGahee? Both are unfair comparisons, as neither are starting running backs in the NFL and have steadily declined over the last two seasons. If Gore begins his decline prior to his 32nd birthday, we can put this thread to rest. Until then, it's pure speculation.

Corey Dillon's lack of all purpose yardage and low average per carry will likely keep him out. We won't definatively know until he's on the ballot in 2012.

Like Dillon, Taylor's lack of all purpose yardage will hurt him. Again, we won't know until he's retired and five seasons have passed.

Watters, as mentioned in a previous post, had a historically poor yards per carry average.

14000+
Curtis Martin (90)

13000+
Jerome Bettis (91)

12000+
LT (138)
Marshall Faulk (100)
Edgerrin James (80)

11000+
Fred Taylor (66)
Corey Dillon (82)

10000+
Warrick Dunn (49)
Ricky Watters (78)
Jamal Lewis (58)
Tiki Barber (55)
Eddie George (68)
Ottis Anderson (81)

Do you have any idea of how Hall of Fame eligibility works?

Curtis Martin (eligible in 2011), Jerome Bettis (eligible in 2011) and Marshall Faulk (eligible in 2012) will all eventually make it into the Hall of Fame. LaDainian Tomlinson isn't even done playing. Once he is, he'll make it. Edgerinn James' production in Indianapolis will most certainly make a strong case once he retires (he's still looking to play in the NFL).

Warrick Dunn amassed just five 1,000 yard rushing campaigns in twelve seasons. Also, his low yards per carry average will likely leave him out of the Hall.

Jamal Lewis' 2003 season alone will get him quite a few votes. His lack of all purpose yardage will likely keep him out.

Tiki Barber, like Craig, will garner significant votes and should make the ballot. Had he not sat behind Wheatley and Dayne in New York during the first half of his career, he'd be a lock.

Eddie George's career, like Jamale Lewis', was cut short due to injuries and a decline in speed. His low yards per carry and lack of all purpose yards will keep him out.

Ottis Anderson? Really?! Anderson played until he was in his mid 30's. His lack of seasonal consistence and all purpose yardage doesn't come close to consider him Hall of Fame worthy.

[ Edited by redrathman on Jun 22, 2010 at 11:43:07 ]
Originally posted by redrathman:

Culpepper has played eleven NFL seasons. Why are you comparing an NFL veteran with twice as many games played against Frank Gore?

Your mathematics don't take into account that Gore sat behind Kevan Barlow during the entire 2005 season. Gore has averaged 1,213 yards 7.25 touchdowns per season as the feature running back in four season. Taking into account this error, Gore would end up with 12,000+ yards rushing and 68 rushing touchdowns through the age of 32 if he averages 1,200 yards a season for five seasons. Assuming the offense improves from Gore's first five seasons, I have no doubt his production will actually increase over this span.

I'd argue that Steven Jackson is well on his way to the Hall of Fame, assuming he continues his pace through the age of 32.

Larry Johnson and Willis McGahee? Both are unfair comparisons, as neither are starting running backs in the NFL and have steadily declined over the last two seasons. If Gore begins his decline prior to his 32nd birthday, we can put this thread to rest. Until then, it's pure speculation.

Corey Dillon's lack of all purpose yardage and low average per carry will likely keep him out. We won't definatively know until he's on the ballot in 2012.

Like Dillon, Taylor's lack of all purpose yardage will hurt him. Again, we won't know until he's retired and five seasons have passed.

Watters, as mentioned in a previous post, had a historically poor yards per carry average.

14000+
Curtis Martin (90)

13000+
Jerome Bettis (91)

12000+
LT (138)
Marshall Faulk (100)
Edgerrin James (80)

11000+
Fred Taylor (66)
Corey Dillon (82)

10000+
Warrick Dunn (49)
Ricky Watters (78)
Jamal Lewis (58)
Tiki Barber (55)
Eddie George (68)
Ottis Anderson (81)

Curtis Martin (eligible in 2011), Jerome Bettis (eligible in 2011) and Marshall Faulk (eligible in 2012) will all eventually make it into the Hall of Fame. LaDainian Tomlinson isn't even done playing. Once he is, he'll make it. Edgerinn James' production in Indianapolis will most certainly make a strong case once he retires (he's still looking to play in the NFL).

Warrick Dunn amassed just five 1,000 yard rushing campaigns in twelve seasons. Also, his low yards per carry average will likely leave him out of the Hall.

Jamal Lewis' 2003 season alone will get him quite a few votes. His lack of all purpose yardage will likely keep him out.

Tiki Barber, like Craig, will garner significant votes and should make the ballot. Had he not say behind Wheatley and Dayne in New York during the first half of his career, he'd be a lock.

Eddie George's career, like Jamale Lewis', was cut short due to injuries and a decline in speed. His low yards per carry and lack of all purpose yards will keep him out.

Ottis Anderson? Really?! Anderson played until he was in his mid 30's. His lack of seasonal consistence and all purpose yardage doesn't come close to consider him Hall of Fame worthy.

I think it's gonna be tough for Edge to get in the hall. I think tiki was a bit overhyped b/c he played in NY. I had no idea Curtis Martin was the 4th leading rusher in nfl history.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran

14000+
Curtis Martin (90)

13000+
Jerome Bettis (91)

12000+
LT (138)
Marshall Faulk (100)
Edgerrin James (80)

11000+
Fred Taylor (66)
Corey Dillon (82)

10000+
Warrick Dunn (49)
Ricky Watters (78)
Jamal Lewis (58)
Tiki Barber (55)
Eddie George (68)
Ottis Anderson (81)

Tiki Barber, like Craig, will garner significant votes and should make the ballot. Had he not sat behind Wheatley and Dayne in New York during the first half of his career, he'd be a lock.

Um I mention Culpepper cuz he's a freaking QB with 514 career rushing attempts. But your right it took him 11 seasons to amass less than half of the carries Gore has AND more TD's.

Your mathmatics don't take into account that Gore had 1 (ONE) great season in which he rushed for 1695 yards... he hasn't reached 1200 in any other season so to use a number higher than that as his expected average is just wrong. It was not a mistake to overlook the fact that Gore sit behind (if thats what you want to call it, he still had 127 carries compared to Barlows 176) Barlow his rookie year, Because it offset 2006 when had a career year and using all his years created a much more accurate average. You can't just dump the numbers that don't favor your argument and keep the ones that do. Gore is getting old, he's had injury problems and taken a lot of pounding... I just don't see it happening.

Larry Johnson, Willis McGahee and every other running back to play in the NFL are reason to support WHY Gore won't make the hall - Running Backs Die at 30 (or before). My point is that very few RB's sustain for long careers. The top 10 rushers of all time had an 11.5 yr career on average. There are hundreds of backs who were on their way to being HOF rb's only to fade quickly. Its pure speculation that Gore will go against the trend, hold up and play at a high level for 10 years - especially with his injury history.

Apparently you didn't read. I said "Runningbacks with at least 10,000 yards who are not CURRENTLY in the HOF" Currently meaning right now, at this time. I agree that some of those players will make the hall... and some won't. But I am not Judge and jury on potential HOF'ers like you so I will leave that up to the voters at the appropriate time.

You pick and chose what you use in your verdict as to who will or will not be voted to the HOF. Dunn - low yards per carry? 4.1? But no mention of his over 500 receptions and 4,000 rec yards? Like Gore, I don't think he's a HOF'er either. Tiki Barber... when did Tiki sit behind Ron Dayne? Wheatley maybe... still what about his 600+ receptions and over 5000 receiving yards? He has a super bowl ring... Tiki has a better shot of getting in than Gore by far right now.

This is ALL pure speculation... you are assuming something is going to happen that history says likely will not, and your making that assumption based on distorted numbers.

Have fun...
Um I mention Culpepper cuz he's a freaking QB with 514 career rushing attempts. But your right it took him 11 seasons to amass less than half of the carries Gore has AND more TD's.

It's still not an accurate comparison, regardless of your hackneyed reasoning. I can't debate this point, because if you clearly can't see the flawed logic in the statement above, taking the conversation any further would be pointless.

Your mathmatics don't take into account that Gore had 1 (ONE) great season in which he rushed for 1695 yards... he hasn't reached 1200 in any other season so to use a number higher than that as his expected average is just wrong. It was not a mistake to overlook the fact that Gore sit behind (if thats what you want to call it, he still had 127 carries compared to Barlows 176) Barlow his rookie year, Because it offset 2006 when had a career year and using all his years created a much more accurate average. You can't just dump the numbers that don't favor your argument and keep the ones that do. Gore is getting old, he's had injury problems and taken a lot of pounding... I just don't see it happening.

What a disjointed paragraph.

The 49ers have ranked no better than 23rd in the NFL in Offensive Yardage since Frank Gore was drafted.

In 2006, Frank Gore accounted for 2,180 of the 49ers' 4,857 offensive yards. This amounts to 44% of the team's total yards from scrimmage. To put things in perspective: In Emmitt Smith's finest season (1995), he totaled 2,148 yards of offense, while the Dallas Cowboys had 5,824 offensive yards. This percentage comes out to 36%. The league average last season for running backs accounting for total offense was 35%. What makes Frank Gore's statistics so impressive is how central of a player he has been among abysmal talent.

As the level of talent improves (as with the offense), Frank Gore's numbers will improve (see 2006).

Larry Johnson, Willis McGahee and every other running back to play in the NFL are reason to support WHY Gore won't make the hall - Running Backs Die at 30 (or before). My point is that very few RB's sustain for long careers. The top 10 rushers of all time had an 11.5 yr career on average. There are hundreds of backs who were on their way to being HOF rb's only to fade quickly. Its pure speculation that Gore will go against the trend, hold up and play at a high level for 10 years - especially with his injury history.

Injury history? You must mean seven inactive games in five seasons. Yeah, thanks for backing up your logic with knowledge, bud. Great Running Backs get to 32. I'm hedging my bets that he'll make it. You're not.

Apparently you didn't read. I said "Runningbacks with at least 10,000 yards who are not CURRENTLY in the HOF" Currently meaning right now, at this time. I agree that some of those players will make the hall... and some won't. But I am not Judge and jury on potential HOF'ers like you so I will leave that up to the voters at the appropriate time.

I did read it. Those players can't make the Hall of Fame because they need to be retired for five seasons before they can make the ballot. They're ineligible, as in cannot be in the Hall regardless of their play. Until then, I could in theory list every player in the NFL who isn't in the Hall of Fame and correlate their totals in justifying certain criteria for the Hall of Fame (it's what you did after all).

You pick and chose what you use in your verdict as to who will or will not be voted to the HOF. Dunn - low yards per carry? 4.1? But no mention of his over 500 receptions and 4,000 rec yards? Like Gore, I don't think he's a HOF'er either. Tiki Barber... when did Tiki sit behind Ron Dayne? Wheatley maybe... still what about his 600+ receptions and over 5000 receiving yards? He has a super bowl ring... Tiki has a better shot of getting in than Gore by far right now.

Ron Dayne amassed 2,067 rushing yards and 16 rushing touchdowns over four seasons while sharing carries with Barber. Barber never had the opportunity to be the lead running back until 2002, at which time he showed his ability as a top Running Back. I don't believe he'll make it to the Hall of Fame, but he'll be on the ballot for sure (as I stated in my original post).

This is ALL pure speculation... you are assuming something is going to happen that history says likely will not, and your making that assumption based on distorted numbers.

I believe Gore will improve his totals and provide to be a durable option spanning five more seasons. You believe he won't.

It's really that simple.
Its tough to make the Hall of Fame when you play for a poor or even an average offense that lacks a passing game. You have to be a freak of nature to make up for that (ie Barry Sanders, Walter Payton).

Gore is arguably the best running back in 49ers history, and if he had the same talent around him that Hearst or Craig had, there would not even be an argument.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran

It's still not an accurate comparison, regardless of your hackneyed reasoning. I can't debate this point, because if you clearly can't see the flawed logic in the statement above, taking the conversation any further would be pointless.

What a disjointed paragraph.

The 49ers have ranked no better than 23rd in the NFL in Offensive Yardage since Frank Gore was drafted.

In 2006, Frank Gore accounted for 2,180 of the 49ers' 4,857 offensive yards. This amounts to 44% of the team's total yards from scrimmage. To put things in perspective: In Emmitt Smith's finest season (1995), he totaled 2,148 yards of offense, while the Dallas Cowboys had 5,824 offensive yards. This percentage comes out to 36%. The league average last season for running backs accounting for total offense was 35%. What makes Frank Gore's statistics so impressive is how central of a player he has been among abysmal talent.

As the level of talent improves (as with the offense), Frank Gore's numbers will improve (see 2006).

Injury history? You must mean seven inactive games in five seasons. Yeah, thanks for backing up your logic with knowledge, bud. Great Running Backs get to 32. I'm hedging my bets that he'll make it. You're not.

I did read it. Those players can't make the Hall of Fame because they need to be retired for five seasons before they can make the ballot. They're ineligible, as in cannot be in the Hall regardless of their play. Until then, I could in theory list every player in the NFL who isn't in the Hall of Fame and correlate their totals in justifying certain criteria for the Hall of Fame (it's what you did after all).

Ron Dayne amassed 2,067 rushing yards and 16 rushing touchdowns over four seasons while sharing carries with Barber. Barber never had the opportunity to be the lead running back until 2002, at which time he showed his ability as a top Running Back. I don't believe he'll make it to the Hall of Fame, but he'll be on the ballot for sure (as I stated in my original post).

[b]I believe Gore will improve his totals and provide to be a durable option spanning five more seasons. You believe he won't.[/b]
It's really that simple.

That is what it comes down to, I hope your right and I'm wrong. I prefer my crow blackened... ya know just in case.

I mentioned Culpepper because I think it shows that Gore is not on the TD pace of a HOFer - and it suprised me. I think 06 was the exception not the rule. Gore tore the ACL in BOTH knees! He broke his shoulder blade, broke his thumb, had ankle issues, had tendonitus in his knees. Yes he hasn't missed a lot of games as a pro, I'm just saying I don't think those knees and ankles will both hold up long enough - he has an injury history. IMHO...
Share 49ersWebzone