There are 315 users in the forums

Maiocco: Ricky Jean-Francois has a Nose for Learning

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Link Here...

Quote:

June 11, 2010

Matt Maiocco
CSNBayArea.com

Aubrayo Franklin has no idea what awaits him when he decides to sign his one-year tender as the 49ers' franchise player.
"He has his reasons for not being here, so I'm not going to get involved in that," said 49ers second-year player Ricky Jean-Francois. "So I'm going to sit and wait for him. And the minute he walks through the door, I'm going to rush over to him with some questions."

The 49ers designated Franklin as the team's franchise player, tendering him a one-year, $7.003 million contract to the would-be free agent. Franklin, who would prefer a long-term contract, is not expected to join the 49ers until training camp.

Jean-Francois has moved from defensive end, where he practiced as a rookie, to nose tackle. While he learns a new position, he is taking all of the first- and second-team work at nose tackle this spring.

"With Aubrayo not being here right now, he's benefiting from all of those reps Aubrayo would have had," 49ers defensive coordinator Greg Manusky said. "Trust me, he’s seen enough of them. He's really grown with the calls, grown with the technique."

Manusky points out it is more difficult for defensive linemen to make an impact early in their careers than just about any other position. Jean-Francois, a seventh-round pick in 2009 from LSU, is no exception.

He was inactive for nine games as a rookie. Jean-Francois suited up and did not play in four others. In the other three games, he saw limited action -- a play here and there on special teams.

Jean-Francois said he cleared a significant barrier this week, and his comfort level and play have taken sharp up-turns. It all stems from where he lines up and how much room he gives himself to operate, he said.

Since the beginning of 49ers offseason practices, Jean-Francois lined up directly over the center, mere inches separating his facemask from the center's. But this week when he began lining up a yard or more off the line of scrimmage, his vision and ability to quickly diagnose plays improved dramatically, he said.

"I backed up, and now I see things a lot differently," he said. "I can see more what's happening around me, so I can pick up my reads quicker."

Jean-Francois said he has watched a lot of film of Franklin this offseason. He noticed that Franklin lines up at varying distances off the ball depending on the strengths and weaknesses of the opposing center.

That subject is one of many he has compiled in a binder filled with questions for Franklin, Jean-Francois said.

Jean-Francois views Franklin is an ideal role model for him. Franklin is known as a tactician. At 317 pounds, Franklin is not the prototypical huge nose tackle for a 3-4 defense. Likewise, Jean-Francois checks in at around 315 pounds.

"He's got big legs, a big body," Manusky said. "He's doing very well right now."

And there is little doubt Jean-Francois has the strength to handle the rigors of the position. Recently, he brought the rest of the 49ers' weight room to a halt when he managed to squat 605 pounds.

[ Edited by PTulini on Jun 11, 2010 at 23:10:27 ]
only reason francois dropped to the 7th was issues regarding himself not his play
Man, that would be a sweet outcome. With Franklin heading towards 31 next offseason and demanding of seriously big money, the time is NOW to develop someone to replace him. Would be great if RJF is the man to do it. Not that it means anything necessarily, but these words stood out to me in the way of hope... ( v NFL DRAFTSCOUT )

Quote:
Jean Francois has exceptional playing strength

Quote:
Jean Francois has a thick body frame with room for additional growth. He has smooth muscle development, good-sized legs and calves and adequate arm length and shoulder width

Quote:
seems to have better success when he tilts over to play under tackle or as an undersized nose guard

Quote:
When his head is in the game, Jean Francois is a load to handle.

Quote:
is a force to be reckoned with when he plants himself in the middle of the line and is very combative with his hands.

Quote:
has very good strength and a punishing hand punch, making him a terror to contain in the short area.

Quote:
has a very strong punch. He does a good job of keeping his hands inside the framework and will dominate and shed blockers with them. Even though he can use more bulk, when he is alert to double teams he has the ability to destroy them

Quote:
uses his hands with force to shed blocks and impact the rush lanes. He is best served in the trenches than on the move

Quote:
is more of a bull rusher and should be limited to three-technique work rather than be utilized on the outside, even in a 3-4 alignment.

While there are plenty of negatives to go along with these, they seem to be correctable. Guess we'll see....
Would be great to see him develop into a nose tackle for the 49ers. Would helpp solidify our d-line for years.
Watched this kid play at LSU and was a beast but at the time had attitude problems which appear to be fixed.

Be fantastic if he can play NT at some level close to Franklins
Gil Brandt had him as a 3rd round talent on his Top 100 Board.
I'd probably still grab a vet NT before camp to push him, and insure us..
Originally posted by toppdogg32:

True, but at some point we need to let our young guy play and see what they can do.
all sounds good, but let's see him perform.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by toppdogg32:

True, but at some point we need to let our young guy play and see what they can do.

True. Wish we'd drafted one last year or this year(esp. this year) there were plenty.

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Man, that would be a sweet outcome. With Franklin heading towards 31 next offseason and demanding of seriously big money, the time is NOW to develop someone to replace him. Would be great if RJF is the man to do it. Not that it means anything necessarily, but these words stood out to me in the way of hope... ( v NFL DRAFTSCOUT )

Quote:
Jean Francois has exceptional playing strength

Quote:
Jean Francois has a thick body frame with room for additional growth. He has smooth muscle development, good-sized legs and calves and adequate arm length and shoulder width

Quote:
seems to have better success when he tilts over to play under tackle or as an undersized nose guard

Quote:
When his head is in the game, Jean Francois is a load to handle.

Quote:
is a force to be reckoned with when he plants himself in the middle of the line and is very combative with his hands.

Quote:
has very good strength and a punishing hand punch, making him a terror to contain in the short area.

Quote:
has a very strong punch. He does a good job of keeping his hands inside the framework and will dominate and shed blockers with them. Even though he can use more bulk, when he is alert to double teams he has the ability to destroy them

Quote:
uses his hands with force to shed blocks and impact the rush lanes. He is best served in the trenches than on the move

Quote:
is more of a bull rusher and should be limited to three-technique work rather than be utilized on the outside, even in a 3-4 alignment.

While there are plenty of negatives to go along with these, they seem to be correctable. Guess we'll see....

Thank you for the quotations. This offseason has been a time for him to get in the reps, and if and when Franklin comes back they can work together and help RJF to grow even more. Franklin and RJF together would be a nice NT setup.
His value just increased with Ray McDonald's DUI. And if/when Franklin signs, he just continues to increase his usefulness on this team.
This will make him more versatile and give us more options, his speed could be difficult to deal with on passing downs, RJF may earn more snaps if he is willing to take on more responsibilty, I like it. it shows the guy will doi what it takes to help the team.
  • SportinWood
  • Info N/A
pun intended?
Share 49ersWebzone