LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

Rod Woodson mic'd up at 49ers OTAs.. thoughts on Taylor Mays

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/NFLN-Rod-Woodson-Micd-Up/f85bd267-eeec-4239-a3e3-3690c72d0554

Rod Woodson mic'd up at 49ers OTAs w/the DBs. He mentions his thoughts on Taylor Mays towards the end of the interview. I personally think with the proper coaching, Taylor Mays will become a probowl safety in the NFL one day. Woodson seems to think so too.
Yeah its a good video with alot of insight we dont see a lot of and I enjoyed it.

I`m also on record in the Mays thread in the draft war room. Saying Mays will be a pro-bowler in a couple years.
Originally posted by Dominate:
Yeah its a good video with alot of insight we dont see a lot of and I enjoyed it.

I`m also on record in the Mays thread in the draft war room. Saying Mays will be a pro-bowler in a couple years.

Amen brother!
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Woodson would be a helluva secondary coach.

He really should coach.

That would be awesome. He looks good wearing that 49ers sports jacket too. He'd fit right in with Singletary and the rest of our coaches.

But I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. Coaching takes up a lot of time, if not more time than the players. I'm sure Rod doesn't need the money, and working as a broadcaster is much more easy-going and less responsibility. That's why a lot of great players, who would no question make great coaches in the NFL, end up in broadcasting positions.. i.e. Steve Young.
Originally posted by bigmike55:

He really should coach.

That would be awesome. He looks good wearing that 49ers sports jacket too. He'd fit right in with Singletary and the rest of our coaches.

But I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. Coaching takes up a lot of time, if not more time than the players. I'm sure Rod doesn't need the money, and working as a broadcaster is much more easy-going and less responsibility. That's why a lot of great players, who would no question make great coaches in the NFL, end up in broadcasting positions.. i.e. Steve Young.

its less stress to bulls**t about players that aren't yours! when you're a coach STRESS!
Originally posted by GOLDMOUTH22:

He really should coach.

its less stress to bulls**t about players that aren't yours! when you're a coach STRESS!

Just a side note, I can't see Singletary as a sports commentator, he was meant to be a coach.

Actually, it'll happen sooner than you think.

Woodson has publicly stated that he has interest coaching at the NFL level and is going around to various training camps to get his feet wet this off season.

Quoted from NFLUK.com:

Quote:
"I had thought about coaching when I first retired, but I played 17 years in the league, and at that time it was not right for me. I am actually going to give it a try this year - I am going to go to Cincinnati and be with the Bengals when camp starts in July and stay about a week and a half. It will be good to get a taste for it and get back into talking with the players and coaches and see what that daily grind is like again."
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Rod Woodson's zig zag technique and punching the opposite shoulder is not legal in the current NFL game.

That would get you an illegal contact penalty beyond 5 yards
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Rod Woodson's zig zag technique and punching the opposite shoulder is not legal in the current NFL game.

it's an exercise he did everyday
Originally posted by schmons:

it's an exercise he did everyday

I guess we can all blame Rod Woodson if our DBs get a bunch of illegal contact penalties this year.

Incorrect. A "punch" is legal, so long as it doesn't displace the Wide Receiver from attempting a catch. Technically, it's incidental contact. Once the punch becomes a pull or grab, then it's holding (prior to the throw) or pass interference (after the throw). Referees will usually verbally warn players if they become too aggressive before throwing a flag.
Yup just found a link to the story
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1771047

After the Pats beat up the Colts in the 2003 Playoffs

Rod Woodson retired after the 2003 season so he never dealt with that change in the rules
Rod is definitely a class act guy. He doesn't attack players when he's on TV, and he always gives love to the niners on NFLN.

I think he'd be a great coach. Just watching him in that segment you can see his ability to talk and mentor the younger guys.
Give it up for Rod, man some great advise there for our boys.
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Rod is definitely a class act guy. He doesn't attack players when he's on TV, and he always gives love to the niners on NFLN.

I think he'd be a great coach. Just watching him in that segment you can see his ability to talk and mentor the younger guys.

It would be nice to see him coaching.
Share 49ersWebzone