Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
That was turrible.
Originally posted by susweel:
That was turrible.
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:
Tupac-influenced, still good though.

Ya think? He only took the beat from 2Pac and changed one word of the hook from Ambitionz Az A Ridah.

Now, I am a fan of rap. Not just a casual fan, but a true fan who notices a lot more than the average listener. Not only must a rapper have a good voice and good flow, but he must showcase a complex rhyme scheme (or at least semi-complex, with more than single-syllable rhymes) among many other things for me to have the slightest interest in his/her stuff. This guy lacks everything but the flow. The content of the song is OK, but he's an average rapper and if the song wasn't about the 49ers I would have switched the track after the 4th bar of the first verse.

I know I sound like a d*ck, but I hold higher standards for rappers for the simple fact that everyone thinks they can do it, and without standards like mine, almost anyone could indeed do it. Also, despite what somebody on here said, it does matter what you're rapping about - at least to me, anyway. Creativity is what most "rappers" lack, along with rhymes that aren't as predictable as a Dr. Seuss book. To me, Eminem is the most talented rapper in history and I don't give a rat's ass if anyone disagrees. Everyone has an opinion and any opinion is debatable, but the talent of Eminem is not disputable. Listen to this guy's (Jose Santana) rhymes, then listen to just about any Eminem song. Pay attention to the actual rhymes and the rhyme-schemes and you'll see exactly what I mean. I know you can't compare a multi-platinum superstar to an indie artist, but you can compare content and rhymes. I know of many underground independent artists that have complex schemes similar to Eminem's (obviously not nearly as good as his, but.. you get the picture). That's the difference between a GOOD rapper and just some guy that can ride a beat.

The "just some guy that can ride a beat" people are usually the same people rapping about sh*t they've never done, money they don't have and guns they've never even seen in real life. The same people that make rap music seem like a big promotion of gang banging and drug abuse to everyone looking down on the genre. I'm not saying this Santana guy does any of that, just that his lyrical talent is about equal to those guys that do. This track at least proves he can write a topical song, which is more than most "rappers" can do.

I'm probably being too harsh for most people on here, but like I said, I'm very critical of rappers because it seems every urban dweller thinks they can do it. Most can do the actual act of rapping, they just can't write music and do it well. To me, an rapper without complex rhymes is equivalent to William Hung as a singer. He can sing just like anyone else with a vocal cord, he just can't do it well and sounds like sh*t.
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by zozell:
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:
ghetto

Name a Bay Area Rapper that isn't

quinn... quinn could rap with the best of em... and em means all the biggest, wayne, jay, all them... and what do u mean ghetto, the only two rappers i can name that werent is will smith, and vanilla ice. If u are not from the ghetto, how are u really a rapper? Rap is about struggle in the ghetto....

Rap is about whatever the artist wants it to be about, just like any other genre of music. Don't speak on what you don't know. A real rapper can rap about anything, and they do.
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by zozell:
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:
ghetto

Name a Bay Area Rapper that isn't

quinn... quinn could rap with the best of em... and em means all the biggest, wayne, jay, all them... and what do u mean ghetto, the only two rappers i can name that werent is will smith, and vanilla ice. If u are not from the ghetto, how are u really a rapper? Rap is about struggle in the ghetto....

My point exactly... quinn is sick... the other poster said that the vid i posted was ghetto. so I told him to find a bay area rapper thats not ghetto... meaning he'd have a hard time finding one... So we're in agreement.. but other homeboy is trippin
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Ya think? He only took the beat from 2Pac and changed one word of the hook from Ambitionz Az A Ridah.

Now, I am a fan of rap. Not just a casual fan, but a true fan who notices a lot more than the average listener. Not only must a rapper have a good voice and good flow, but he must showcase a complex rhyme scheme (or at least semi-complex, with more than single-syllable rhymes) among many other things for me to have the slightest interest in his/her stuff. This guy lacks everything but the flow. The content of the song is OK, but he's an average rapper and if the song wasn't about the 49ers I would have switched the track after the 4th bar of the first verse.

I know I sound like a d*ck, but I hold higher standards for rappers for the simple fact that everyone thinks they can do it, and without standards like mine, almost anyone could indeed do it. Also, despite what somebody on here said, it does matter what you're rapping about - at least to me, anyway. Creativity is what most "rappers" lack, along with rhymes that aren't as predictable as a Dr. Seuss book. To me, Eminem is the most talented rapper in history and I don't give a rat's ass if anyone disagrees. Everyone has an opinion and any opinion is debatable, but the talent of Eminem is not disputable. Listen to this guy's (Jose Santana) rhymes, then listen to just about any Eminem song. Pay attention to the actual rhymes and the rhyme-schemes and you'll see exactly what I mean. I know you can't compare a multi-platinum superstar to an indie artist, but you can compare content and rhymes. I know of many underground independent artists that have complex schemes similar to Eminem's (obviously not nearly as good as his, but.. you get the picture). That's the difference between a GOOD rapper and just some guy that can ride a beat.

The "just some guy that can ride a beat" people are usually the same people rapping about sh*t they've never done, money they don't have and guns they've never even seen in real life. The same people that make rap music seem like a big promotion of gang banging and drug abuse to everyone looking down on the genre. I'm not saying this Santana guy does any of that, just that his lyrical talent is about equal to those guys that do. This track at least proves he can write a topical song, which is more than most "rappers" can do.

I'm probably being too harsh for most people on here, but like I said, I'm very critical of rappers because it seems every urban dweller thinks they can do it. Most can do the actual act of rapping, they just can't write music and do it well. To me, an rapper without complex rhymes is equivalent to William Hung as a singer. He can sing just like anyone else with a vocal cord, he just can't do it well and sounds like sh*t.

wow, this whole quality rapper bs over someone making a pre game song to pump up the fans for the game... Have you even heard any of his music beside this ralley song?

Eminem's whole career was biting off Cage and Royce

Cool story. Why not save yourself four paragraphs and just say you don't think this is that good?

I don't think it's that good either.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Uhh, no, not really. If we're going to go down that rabbit hole, you might as well include Chino XL and Young Zee/Pacewon, as they've made the same accusation, and the influence is also a little clearer (despite being less romantic, as these guys actually had moderately successful careers for a while).
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
That dude just ruined a great song by tupac.

wow, this whole quality rapper bs over someone making a pre game song to pump up the fans for the game... Have you even heard any of his music beside this ralley song?

Are you telling me his voice is different on his other songs? His rhymes go from Dr. Seuss to complex when he's not making a "rally song?" There's nothing about him that makes him stand out from every other rapper in the Bay or the game in general. I just listened to the entire song and could anticipate almost half the rhymes he used at the end of each bar. That's far too simple and predictable for my taste.

That nonsense about biting on Royce and Cage.. You should listen to all 3, then show me the comparisons in their music. Get real.

Anyway, Eminem isn't the topic here, he was just an example I used of a rapper that everyone knows and is actually GOOD. Ludacris USED TO BE good (first few albums). Fabolous is good. Twista USED TO BE good (Resurrection, Adrenaline Rush days). Chamillionaire is good. Royce Da 5'9" is good. Crooked I is good. Listen to any of the stuff I just mentioned, then compare their lyrical structure and complexity to this cat and you'll see what I mean. Keep in mind I'm not saying he should be as good as any of them, just that there is a difference between talented rappers and guys that can ride a beat. This guy is just a guy that can ride a beat.

If your beef is that I'm using these well-known artists as a measuring stick for lyrical talent, let me know and I'll link you to a dude I know that records in his bedroom and can hang with any of the aforementioned artists LYRICALLY.

@ Popeye, I know I could have just said I wasn't feeling it. I wanted to explain WHY. If it's too long, people don't have to read it. It won't hurt my feelings.

[ Edited by 49erRider on Jun 14, 2010 at 14:59:55 ]

Are you telling me his voice is different on his other songs? His rhymes go from Dr. Seuss to complex when he's not making a "rally song?" There's nothing about him that makes him stand out from every other rapper in the Bay or the game in general. I just listened to the entire song and could anticipate almost half the rhymes he used at the end of each bar. That's far too simple and predictable for my taste.

That nonsense about biting on Royce and Cage.. You should listen to all 3, then show me the comparisons in their music. Get real.

Anyway, Eminem isn't the topic here, he was just an example I used of a rapper that everyone knows and is actually GOOD. Ludacris USED TO BE good (first few albums). Fabolous is good. Twista USED TO BE good (Resurrection, Adrenaline Rush days). Chamillionaire is good. Royce Da 5'9" is good. Crooked I is good. Listen to any of the stuff I just mentioned, then compare their lyrical structure and complexity to this cat and you'll see what I mean. Keep in mind I'm not saying he should be as good as any of them, just that there is a difference between talented rappers and guys that can ride a beat. This guy is just a guy that can ride a beat.

If your beef is that I'm using these well-known artists as a measuring stick for lyrical talent, let me know and I'll link you to a dude I know that records in his bedroom and can hang with any of the aforementioned artists LYRICALLY.

@ Popeye, I know I could have just said I wasn't feeling it. I wanted to explain WHY. If it's too long, people don't have to read it. It won't hurt my feelings.

I don't like Rap unless it's the old Bay stuff, i'm more into hip hop but that is starting to get whack now.

I don't know, to me when i'm there at the tailgate, this song gets everyone pumped up for the game. All the people that are there, are not there to reflect on what he says like it's poetry. they are there with a bad arse beat by Pac that also has there favorite team in that beat. Just like the 9er song the year before this one (I'ma 9er Rider)

He does perform other songs, but I don't really care for them.

You should stop by at our tailgates and see it live, not to decipher his lyrics but just party and get ready to watch the 9ers crack some heads.
Look, I used to be a big hip hop / rap follower couresy of the late 80'2 and early to mid 90's....

Some of the new style I hear is crap.

BUT.....

Anything that has the 49ers on it is just fine by me.
  • EdEs
  • Veteran
its dope
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Look, I used to be a big hip hop / rap follower couresy of the late 80'2 and early to mid 90's....

Some of the new style I hear is crap.

BUT.....

Anything that has the 49ers on it is just fine by me.

go to the hip hop thread and then tell us that the new style is crap....its just the radio s**t is crap
Share 49ersWebzone