LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 310 users in the forums

Michael Lewis' Starting Job on the Line?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Watch Manusky's Video

Quote:

Incumbent strong safety Michael Lewis, who enters his ninth NFL season, was the 49ers' third-leading tackler last season. Dashon Goldson appears entrenched at free safety. And while Lewis is the odds-on favorite to open the season at strong safety, he will not just be handed the starting job, said defensive coordinator Greg Manusky.

"I think competition is the best thing that brings the best out in all players and competition at any position is great," Manusky said. "I think competition for Mike, being the starter that he is right now going into training camp, he knows there are people on his tail and I think he is going to pick up his game."

CSN: Young Safties Challenge Incumbent Lewis

[ Edited by PTulini on Jun 10, 2010 at 21:15:12 ]
It did sound suspicious. Damn it the offseason is long.
Can you say Taylor Mays?
Curtis Taylor or R Smith maybe? Supposedly Taylor has looked pretty good recently in OTAs. It'd be nice to have a guy with range back there but you don't want a guy to make a ton of mistakes like a rookie might which kind of rules out Mays, and there's nobody in our defensive backfield tougher than Mike Lewis. Crap the only player probably tougher than him on the team IMO is Willis or Spikes.
No.

He only loses it because of injury.

-9fA
Quote:
"He's big, fast and strong," Woodson said of Mays, a 6-foot-3, 230-pounder. "Out here, he was running by people to get to the ball."

Woodson noted a play when the 49ers were in a Cover-2 defense. The pass went to the other half of the field, and Mays "ran by that other safety," Woodson observed.

But Woodson said it is going to take time for Mays to make the adjustment to the NFL. He suggested the public, and media, show patience with Mays.

"I think it's going to take a couple years," Woodson said. "It's still a process. I think what people have to do with all players, including Taylor (Mays), is slow down and let the guy be taught. Until then, let the guy be a rookie. I got eaten up as a rookie. That's just part of being a player."

Mays said he never before worked on his technique. But the 49ers' coaching staff is stressing his backpedal, staying low and moving from side to side -- "just playing like a natural DB and nothing stiff," he said.

"I feel a lot better," Mays said.

And it showed when he broke up an Alex Smith pass intended for tight end Delanie Walker on a deep seam route.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
No.

-9fA

Concussion
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
You can find the same quote from a coach for the majority of 49ers players except Michael Crabtree, VD, Willis, and Gore.

Coaches will always insist that, unless the player is a blue chip prospect or a cornerstone player, each player and position will have competition for the starting job.
maybe next season

Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
No.

-9fA

Concussion

This
Of course it is. I doubt he loses it though as he is still a good safety. His weaknes is coverage and he will probably lose time in passing downs.
Originally posted by GEEK:
You can find the same quote from a coach for the majority of 49ers players except Michael Crabtree, VD, Willis, and Gore.

Coaches will always insist that, unless the player is a blue chip prospect or a cornerstone player, each player and position will have competition for the starting job.

I'd hate to see it happen this year because I am not sure that Mays is ready, but Lewis is playing on borrowed time with his history of concussions. I truly didn't think he was coming back from that second one this year. Dude is a warrior, but you have to wonder if he'll be smart enough to hang em' up if he is concussed again.
I think people serverly underestimate what Michael Lewis does for the run game.....I bet the games he was out last year we probly gave up the most yards rushing in the season.
Share 49ersWebzone