There are 203 users in the forums

ESPN Sando on Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Did not see it linked anywhere, nice article on Smith and reinforcing more about what we have been hearing....

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/19035/whats-different-about-49ers-alex-smith
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by archcity49er:
Did not see it linked anywhere, nice article on Smith and reinforcing more about what we have been hearing....

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/19035/whats-different-about-49ers-alex-smith

The No. 1 variable, I think, is whether a second year in the same system can give Smith the knowledge he needs to be comfortable. His former coach at Utah, Urban Meyer, famously and accurately cast Smith as a player needing to know every aspect of a playbook before he can function well consistently. Smith agrees with the characterization.

thats how bad our coaching staff has been. he said that in 05. and so did steve young, but it took this long lol.

hence he should have sat for a year or two, but know our organization ruined the last 5 years for him... period point blank the 9ners messed up til now

[ Edited by fan49 on Jun 9, 2010 at 12:14:36 ]
Ownership. Leadership. Good to see from Smith this offseason.
  • NinerBud
  • Info N/A
The niners are going in the right direction finally. Under Nolan I always thought he could draft good but not coach. Things look like they have changed for the better!!
Smith will have a great year and we will win the West.
New stadium = 6th ring / Alex Smith MVP
I think we are going to be exciting on offense this year. It won't just be 3 yards and a cloud of rubberized dust as many think. We will put up some big numbers and some big scores, with an explosive running AND passing attack. If we do, with our D, we will have an awesome year.
"The San Francisco 49ers' sixth-year quarterback ran practice as the offense worked on third-down protection schemes designed to handle complex blitzes Green Bay might unleash when the teams play a Dec. 5 game at Lambeau Field. Teammates followed closely as Smith walked each position group through its responsibilities against each blitz, complete with contingency plans"

Holy s**t, we're preparing for Green Bay in June?? I absoultely love it!
Just finished reading this. All the hype has got to translate to the field! I'm damn excited for more OTAs and Training Camp.
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by archcity49er:

The No. 1 variable, I think, is whether a second year in the same system can give Smith the knowledge he needs to be comfortable. His former coach at Utah, Urban Meyer, famously and accurately cast Smith as a player needing to know every aspect of a playbook before he can function well consistently. Smith agrees with the characterization.

thats how bad our coaching staff has been. he said that in 05. and so did steve young, but it took this long lol.

hence he should have sat for a year or two, but know our organization ruined the last 5 years for him... period point blank the 9ners messed up til now

well i guess u can thank Mike Nolan and Jed York not being in charge for that. In Sing and Jed's first year they are doing the right things.

Damn! I was going to post this earlier.

"I'm not a roll-the-ball-out-there type of guy; I don't really play backyard ball," Smith said after practice Tuesday. "I like to know everything and then when I do, I just go play because I'm not thinking, I'm not second-guessing what this guy did or that guy did, whereas early on, sometimes I can get into that situation where I'm not really sure what is going on around me, so I don't play fast because I'm thinking about everything."

Sounds a lot like Urban Meyer's comments from Draft Day 2005 to me!

[ Edited by PTulini on Jun 9, 2010 at 14:41:20 ]
Originally posted by zillabeast:
"The San Francisco 49ers' sixth-year quarterback ran practice as the offense worked on third-down protection schemes designed to handle complex blitzes Green Bay might unleash when the teams play a Dec. 5 game at Lambeau Field. Teammates followed closely as Smith walked each position group through its responsibilities against each blitz, complete with contingency plans"

Holy s**t, we're preparing for Green Bay in June?? I absoultely love it!

We are sooooo far ahead of last year in terms of implementing the offense. And the rookies now understand that there is a huge precedence set now so if they want to even sniff the field they have to bust their asses hardcore
Originally posted by PTulini:
"I'm not a roll-the-ball-out-there type of guy; I don't really play backyard ball," Smith said after practice Tuesday. "I like to know everything and then when I do, I just go play because I'm not thinking, I'm not second-guessing what this guy did or that guy did, whereas early on, sometimes I can get into that situation where I'm not really sure what is going on around me, so I don't play fast because I'm thinking about everything."

Of course, this is a well documented trait of Alex's. The question is: once he knows the offense, is he capable of improvising within it? No team executes well enough to consistently win if they are effective only if the play proceeds precisely as drawn.

Lots of hype swirling.....looking forward to September.
Originally posted by CornellU49er:
Originally posted by PTulini:

Of course, this is a well documented trait of Alex's. The question is: once he knows the offense, is he capable of improvising within it? No team executes well enough to consistently win if they are effective only if the play proceeds precisely as drawn.

Lots of hype swirling.....looking forward to September.

True. That's why it's hard for me to bash Alex. The guy has great self awareness of what he can and cant do and he deserves SOME credit for that. At the very least, he's working his tail off to get better at the those things. He's the anti-JaMarcus when it comes to work ethic.
Share 49ersWebzone