There are 188 users in the forums

Navarro Bowman

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If that guy gets better this year than he was last year, and better next year than he will be this year....... Holy Cripes!

I want a Bowman jersey.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
I have a question and I didn't feel like starting a new thread. Why did Bowman fall to the third round? He was a bottom of the first round type of prospect! Was it because of his size, "lack of speed," or what?

good question, someone answer this now!!!
Originally posted by HessianDud:
I have a question and I didn't feel like starting a new thread. Why did Bowman fall to the third round? He was a bottom of the first round type of prospect! Was it because of his size, "lack of speed," or what?

NOW OR ELSE I WILL POST A THREAD ABOUT IT ON NINER TALK AND THE DRAFT WAR ROOM!!!! DON'T MAKE ME DO IT!!!!

If I remember he had some off the field issues I think
Originally posted by jreff22:

i guess "being too much of a badass" is an "off the field issue" now.

if the salary cap is expected to make a huge jump in teh next year or 2. only thing that prevents us from keeping him is if someone massively over pays him.

"character concerns"

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2010/2/26/1321934/2010-nfl-draft-profiles-navorro

There's also the matter of his off the field issues. Since all you get from the NFL draft gurus is that Bowman has "character issues", I'll go into some detail here. The 2007 altercation on campus could almost be explained away as boys being boys. It was a classic he-said-she-said-let's-throw-down-in-the-alley deal. If it were just that, there probably wouldn't be an issue here, but Bowman was part of a larger pack of players creating trouble that night, and of all the boneheads, he was perhaps the biggest beating another kid senseless. And this was just six months after the famous spring of 2007 apartment fight incident (of which Bowman was never specifically mentioned as being a part of) when you think the players would have learned their lesson. Bowman was suspended for the last two games of the 2007 season and did not travel with the team to the bowl game.

He was dragged into court and put on probation, but in the spring of 2009 he was brought back into court for not living up to the conditions of that probation. At that time he admitted to having smoked marijuana in violation of his probation, and the probation officer accused him of not doing any of his assigned community service. Bowman explained he was going through a tough time after the loss of his father and football coach, and relapsed into his old habits when he went home to Baltimore during winter break and hung out with his old friends. He claimed the probation office never contacted him or gave him any instructions, but he pointed out he had done a considerable amount of charity work in relation to the football team and asked the court to take it into consideration. The court was sympathetic to his case, and he was let off with a stern warning. Joe Paterno also had sympathy on Bowman and did not feel like the probation violation warranted any punishment from the football team standpoint

Lol, issues in college. Got in a fight and also busted for weed.
Originally posted by jreff22:

His off the field issue was a death in the fam which he came back from strong. hadnt heard anyting else

He played OLB in college and we switched his position.

He was a good college OLB, but a beast NFL MLB.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Mar 23, 2012 at 2:20 PM ]

I really don't think any of what you said contributed to him falling. I think it was more about the posistion he plays. He was projected as and outside linebacker in a traditional 4-3. Those type of players don't hold the same value any more with so many teams switching to a 3-4. Add in the fact that some teams who had him ranked highly simply drafted for need over BPA. His size was a concern once it was known he would play inside backer for us. But he proved that his motor is more important than ideal size that many who play his position need to take on and shed blockers. He's just one of many good players that slightly fall for nothing that's really glaring.

Originally posted by 5280High:

Lol, issues in college. Got in a fight and also busted for weed.

Some scouts are such dumbasses. Almost everyone in college smoked weed or got into some sort of altercation before. Sometimes I think that scouts puts TOO much emphases on behavior. I understand they want a kid who has class and all of that stuff, but us, as people, f**k up during some part of our lives.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

"character concerns"

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2010/2/26/1321934/2010-nfl-draft-profiles-navorro

There's also the matter of his off the field issues. Since all you get from the NFL draft gurus is that Bowman has "character issues", I'll go into some detail here. The 2007 altercation on campus could almost be explained away as boys being boys. It was a classic he-said-she-said-let's-throw-down-in-the-alley deal. If it were just that, there probably wouldn't be an issue here, but Bowman was part of a larger pack of players creating trouble that night, and of all the boneheads, he was perhaps the biggest beating another kid senseless. And this was just six months after the famous spring of 2007 apartment fight incident (of which Bowman was never specifically mentioned as being a part of) when you think the players would have learned their lesson. Bowman was suspended for the last two games of the 2007 season and did not travel with the team to the bowl game.

He was dragged into court and put on probation, but in the spring of 2009 he was brought back into court for not living up to the conditions of that probation. At that time he admitted to having smoked marijuana in violation of his probation, and the probation officer accused him of not doing any of his assigned community service. Bowman explained he was going through a tough time after the loss of his father and football coach, and relapsed into his old habits when he went home to Baltimore during winter break and hung out with his old friends. He claimed the probation office never contacted him or gave him any instructions, but he pointed out he had done a considerable amount of charity work in relation to the football team and asked the court to take it into consideration. The court was sympathetic to his case, and he was let off with a stern warning. Joe Paterno also had sympathy on Bowman and did not feel like the probation violation warranted any punishment from the football team standpoint

cool, thanks.

its funny how NFL front offices over-analyze this s**t sometimes.
Perfect example as to why character concerns are way overblown
cool, thanks.

its funny how NFL front offices over-analyze this s**t sometimes.

Yea, I agree. I would think if he's the BPA, someone in the second round would've pulled the trigger on him. Also, this was a deep draft IMO.
Originally posted by HoneyBadger49er:
Our LB's are f**king awesome

This.
Share 49ersWebzone