There are 192 users in the forums

Navarro Bowman

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ninersdeep:
not in a 3-4

Bowman weighs 10 pounds less than Matthews...I dont think its out of the question.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Squidp:
Originally posted by ebayniner:
OnTheClock,
Do you really believe that Bowman is better suited for SOLB? He's fluid, fast, athletic no doubt. I think his size & reach against a 6'5" OT or TE (or both?) work against him. I would same the same thing about Patrick, but Patrick would prove me wrong!

He's going to either be a TED for the Niners or he may work into a hybrid 4-3 scheme. Regardless, he is best suited to play in a 4-3 as are most of our ILB's.

So he is not big enough to handle TE's and Tackles but he can handle Guards and Centers???

Indeed... perplexing comment there. Ebay, he's fine at SAM. There are other 3-4 SAM linebackers around the league that have similar size and have been just fine.

Bart Scott, Jets, 6-2 242
James Harrison, Steelers, 6-0 242
Joey Porter, Cardinals, 6-3 248

Bart Scott plays TED
James Harrison & Joey Porter play WILL

Here are some 3-4 SAM LBs:

LaMarr Woodley, Steelers, 6-2 265
Calvin Pace, Jets, 6-4 265
Anthony Spencer, Cowboys, 6-3 260
Ryan Kerrigan, Redskins, 6-4 267
Chris Kelsay, Bills, 6-4 261
Koa Misi, Dolphins, 6-3 251
Rob Ninkovich, Pats, 6-2 255

Bowman is too small to play SAM, and I don't think TED matches his skill set either. His best spot would have been MIKE witch is occupied by Patrick Willis, which makes his selection in the draft a curious one. I am of the belief that the SAM, just like the WILL, should be pass-rushers first. Run-stopping and pass coverage comes second. Although with the SAM, there is a little bit more of an emphasis on run-stopping hence the bigger size.

Sounds like a perfect spot for Lawson....
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Squidp:
Originally posted by ebayniner:
OnTheClock,
Do you really believe that Bowman is better suited for SOLB? He's fluid, fast, athletic no doubt. I think his size & reach against a 6'5" OT or TE (or both?) work against him. I would same the same thing about Patrick, but Patrick would prove me wrong!

He's going to either be a TED for the Niners or he may work into a hybrid 4-3 scheme. Regardless, he is best suited to play in a 4-3 as are most of our ILB's.

So he is not big enough to handle TE's and Tackles but he can handle Guards and Centers???

Indeed... perplexing comment there. Ebay, he's fine at SAM. There are other 3-4 SAM linebackers around the league that have similar size and have been just fine.

Bart Scott, Jets, 6-2 242
James Harrison, Steelers, 6-0 242
Joey Porter, Cardinals, 6-3 248

Bart Scott plays TED
James Harrison & Joey Porter play WILL

Here are some 3-4 SAM LBs:

LaMarr Woodley, Steelers, 6-2 265
Calvin Pace, Jets, 6-4 265
Anthony Spencer, Cowboys, 6-3 260
Ryan Kerrigan, Redskins, 6-4 267
Chris Kelsay, Bills, 6-4 261
Koa Misi, Dolphins, 6-3 251
Rob Ninkovich, Pats, 6-2 255

Bowman is too small to play SAM, and I don't think TED matches his skill set either. His best spot would have been MIKE witch is occupied by Patrick Willis, which makes his selection in the draft a curious one. I am of the belief that the SAM, just like the WILL, should be pass-rushers first. Run-stopping and pass coverage comes second. Although with the SAM, there is a little bit more of an emphasis on run-stopping hence the bigger size.

Sounds like a perfect spot for Lawson....

I wish we could get more pass-rush productivity from Lawson, but he is without a doubt the best SAM available in FA right now.
Guys & Girls,
Check the hight and arm length vs. the other OLB/DE's that you have listed. 6'0" vs. 6'2-4" could potentially concede as much as 16" in reach/extension.

OnTheClock articulated his points re: Bowman playing ILB better than I could.

There's a good reason why teams measure wing span and arm length.

Just sayin'
This kid is impressing and very good blitzing...better than Willis. He also has good persuit and top level speed. Who'd a thought.

Do not miss Spikes.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
He does make our defense much faster and athletic.
Originally posted by Joecool:
This kid is impressing and very good blitzing...better than Willis. He also has good persuit and top level speed. Who'd a thought.

Do not miss Spikes.

Did Willis even blitz against SEA?
Originally posted by SJniner7:

i believe i saw him come once on a delayed blitz.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Do not miss Spikes.

Penn State! Oh Yeah! I loved watching him play there. What can I say It's the only home team I like.
Originally posted by 76Razor:

Yeah, but the only thing delayed was his contact with the QB. I saw him stuffed at the line twice. No biggie, he's still a stud.

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by 76Razor:

Yeah, but the only thing delayed was his contact with the QB. I saw him stuffed at the line twice. No biggie, he's still a stud.

He's not as quick dodging the RB as is Bowman. Bowman has very quick feet in that small of a window. Willis mostly tries to take on and bull rush.
Bowman looked good in the first game and will only continue to get better along with the rest of the defense.
U know this guy is rocking bowman this season ... First one?
[ Edited by Fricker on Sep 14, 2011 at 10:25 PM ]
I though he played very well upon review of the film. He is a good interior pass rusher. He always was from even his days at Penn State. And he's good vs. the run too. Him and Willis are outstanding together I think. I like him a lot.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
I've been rooting for my hometown boy (Penn State) since we drafted him, glad to see him producing.
Share 49ersWebzone