LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

Navarro Bowman

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
this *modded* missed a bunch of tackles when the brainiacs would put him in on 3rd downs. Rookie pass.

Say, I know this is a footballer's site and we're all manly men here, but just because SybEr misspelled f****t, he gets a free ride on the use of such a derogatory term? I'm pretty sure he didn't mean "cigarette butt". I'd venture to say we even have gay members of the 'Zone and they don't appreciate that term any more than our black members do the "N" word. Just saying. (And no, I'm not gay, though i PLAYED ONE ON TELEVISION)

I got a 25% warning. U happy now?

I just want to keep us all warm and fuzzy, my non-gay friend.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
As much as I like Bowman as a player, I really doubt that he's built to play OLB under the 3-4 scheme... I know he played both and weak side LB at Penn State, but that being under the 4-3 is just two different type of position..
this *modded* missed a bunch of tackles when the brainiacs would put him in on 3rd downs. Rookie pass.

Say, I know this is a footballer's site and we're all manly men here, but just because SybEr misspelled f****t, he gets a free ride on the use of such a derogatory term? I'm pretty sure he didn't mean "cigarette butt". I'd venture to say we even have gay members of the 'Zone and they don't appreciate that term any more than our black members do the "N" word. Just saying. (And no, I'm not gay, though i PLAYED ONE ON TELEVISION)

I got a 25% warning. U happy now?

I just want to keep us all warm and fuzzy, my non-gay friend.

snitch!!!
Don't count out Thadius Gibson
  • GORO
  • Veteran

Players make a greater jump in their second year as opposed to their rookie years. If Fangio is a good talent evaluator he will recognize that this kid needs to be on the field.
So I'm hearing a lot of talk on here about Bowman not being able to play TED because he's not stout enough to take on blockers. Bowman is a gifted athlete and has sideline to sideline speed. Wouldn't we be wasting his talent if all he's doing is taking on blockers? I hope Lord Fangio makes good use of this guy by playing some 4-3 every now and then. I really can't see him as a 3-4 OLB. I want the season to start already!!!
I know McKillop was injured last year but why did everyone jump on Bowman's wagon without giving Mc a thought? He was doing quite well in the middle before being injured.
If bowman gets moved back outside, wasn't Brooks originally placed as an ILB and moved outside because of all the ILB we had?

Could be interesting to move Bowman outside and move Brooks inside next to Willis
Originally posted by Shorteous:
If bowman gets moved back outside, wasn't Brooks originally placed as an ILB and moved outside because of all the ILB we had?

Could be interesting to move Bowman outside and move Brooks inside next to Willis

Bowman is too undersized to play OLB. They'll most likely stay put at their current positions. I'm really excited to watch Bowman this season
Originally posted by YungAce:

Bowman is too undersized to play OLB. They'll most likely stay put at their current positions. I'm really excited to watch Bowman this season

Bowman is actually too undersized to play ILB at TED. Ideally, you want your TED to be 250+ -- thick enough to take on blockers.

Bowman is perfect size and has the exact skill set of a 3-4 SAM 'Backer. Speed, good run defender, and good in coverage and can make plays laterally. We don't need Bowman being a "plugger" or "thumper" in the middle letting his talents waste away.

Putting Bowman at TED negates a lot of his playmaking ability because it's the non-flashy role of basically taking other blockers out of the play so other LB's can make plays. Bowman needs to be part of the group making plays -- not the group with the primary role of taking on blockers.

OnTheClock,
Do you really believe that Bowman is better suited for SOLB? He's fluid, fast, athletic no doubt. I think his size & reach against a 6'5" OT or TE (or both?) work against him. I would same the same thing about Patrick, but Patrick would prove me wrong!

He's going to either be a TED for the Niners or he may work into a hybrid 4-3 scheme. Regardless, he is best suited to play in a 4-3 as are most of our ILB's.
Originally posted by ebayniner:
OnTheClock,
Do you really believe that Bowman is better suited for SOLB? He's fluid, fast, athletic no doubt. I think his size & reach against a 6'5" OT or TE (or both?) work against him. I would same the same thing about Patrick, but Patrick would prove me wrong!

He's going to either be a TED for the Niners or he may work into a hybrid 4-3 scheme. Regardless, he is best suited to play in a 4-3 as are most of our ILB's.

So he is not big enough to handle TE's and Tackles but he can handle Guards and Centers???
Originally posted by Squidp:
OnTheClock,

So he is not big enough to handle TE's and Tackles but he can handle Guards and Centers???

Indeed... perplexing comment there. Ebay, he's fine at SAM. There are other 3-4 SAM linebackers around the league that have similar size and have been just fine.

Bart Scott, Jets, 6-2 242
James Harrison, Steelers, 6-0 242
Joey Porter, Cardinals, 6-3 248
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by YungAce:

Bowman is actually too undersized to play ILB at TED. Ideally, you want your TED to be 250+ -- thick enough to take on blockers.

Bowman is perfect size and has the exact skill set of a 3-4 SAM 'Backer. Speed, good run defender, and good in coverage and can make plays laterally. We don't need Bowman being a "plugger" or "thumper" in the middle letting his talents waste away.

Putting Bowman at TED negates a lot of his playmaking ability because it's the non-flashy role of basically taking other blockers out of the play so other LB's can make plays. Bowman needs to be part of the group making plays -- not the group with the primary role of taking on blockers.

Do you remember why Brooks got moved outside? I believe it was just to get him more involved at the time.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Squidp:
OnTheClock,

Indeed... perplexing comment there. Ebay, he's fine at SAM. There are other 3-4 SAM linebackers around the league that have similar size and have been just fine.

Bart Scott, Jets, 6-2 242
James Harrison, Steelers, 6-0 242
Joey Porter, Cardinals, 6-3 248

Bart Scott plays TED
James Harrison & Joey Porter play WILL

Here are some 3-4 SAM LBs:

LaMarr Woodley, Steelers, 6-2 265
Calvin Pace, Jets, 6-4 265
Anthony Spencer, Cowboys, 6-3 260
Ryan Kerrigan, Redskins, 6-4 267
Chris Kelsay, Bills, 6-4 261
Koa Misi, Dolphins, 6-3 251
Rob Ninkovich, Pats, 6-2 255

Bowman is too small to play SAM, and I don't think TED matches his skill set either. His best spot would have been MIKE witch is occupied by Patrick Willis, which makes his selection in the draft a curious one. I am of the belief that the SAM, just like the WILL, should be pass-rushers first. Run-stopping and pass coverage comes second. Although with the SAM, there is a little bit more of an emphasis on run-stopping hence the bigger size.

[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 31, 2011 at 16:53:48 ]
Share 49ersWebzone