LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 346 users in the forums

Alex Smith having best practice of Spring

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
He SHOULD be having a great practice against rookies and 2nd/3rd stringers.

Isn't that the point? He should be ahead of the defense and should be hitting all of his receivers. As he continues to work he should be developing timing and confidence with his receivers and when TC comes he should be showing off more and more timing confidence. When his receivers are not getting open he should be telling them about their issues and how to solve it so that they work as a team. The defense should be testifying, in TC, that they have a live QB on their hands and that they are having problems covering the offense. A. Smith should be having success at this level and then build on that success for the TC, and then build on that success so that the whole offense is ready by the first game. We need to hit the gate running on all cylinders. I want it to be unfair if we turn A. Smith loose on anything but the 1st string offense and then I want them tested to the point that the defense has to grow in skill to keep up with our offense. So go get em Alex put up yards all over them, hit TDs all over the place, and get that timing down with Ginn, Crabtree, Morgan, Williams, Davis, etc.
While it's nothing to get excited about I think I would rather him go 18 for 19 against a rag tag group of defenders than struggle against it.

I mean if he had a bad outing how many here would be complaining he struggled against a rag tag group of defenders and being same ole Alex and not mention it being just practice?
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Practice makes perfect. KEEP WORKING KID
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
While it's nothing to get excited about I think I would rather him go 18 for 19 against a rag tag group of defenders than struggle against it.

I mean if he had a bad outing how many here would be complaining he struggled against a rag tag group of defenders and being same ole Alex and not mention it being just practice?

Exactly. Plus, IMO, there's a much bigger difference in practice between basketball and football. Football is all about precision and efficiency in each play. Run it again and again until you get it right (not something we did with Jim Hostler, that f**king douche). Basketball is different. You go through drills to keep your body in shape and run very few offensive plays per game. You also have to practice defense which is not something an offensive football player has to do. Never liked the idea that you can compare the two with that Allen Iverson video, even though it's really damn funny.
for all the people b***hing about him doing this against second stringers, you need to realise the most important part of these statements. smiths accuracy is on point. even the drop was because morgan had butterfingers. that mean smith is hitting his receivers and has the timing down with his guys. that is the most encouraging thing ive heard about this team in the offseason so far. timing was a big factor in the mistakes this team made last year. with smith hitting his targets, no matter who defends, it means hes putting the ball exactly where it should be.
Smith is FINALLY dominating when he is SUPPOSED to be dominating, and people are still trying to talk sh*t about his day.

I love hearing him dominate against back ups because that's what is expected, and its building his confidence for when he goes against a real D. If nothing else, its showing he is capitalizing on these rookies/backups and their mistakes...which means an actual defense will have to play fundamentally sound or Alex has learned to exploit it...if he continues to do this consistently.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Probowlers: A. Smith, V. Davis, F. Gore, M. Crabtree!?!

C'mon I can hope, and this year there is an actual chance of it happening

No one on our team is ever a lock for the Probowl, but it's not that far out of the realm of possibility.

Davis and Gore have already made it and show no signs of slowing. Crabtree had very good numbers especially for a kid that was a camp and season hold out and if Crabtree or VD made it, there is a very good chance the guy throwing it to them has to be considered. I think the league would love a "turn around story" on Alex Smith.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Probowlers: A. Smith, V. Davis, F. Gore, M. Crabtree!?!

C'mon I can hope, and this year there is an actual chance of it happening

No one on our team is ever a lock for the Probowl, but it's not that far out of the realm of possibility.

Davis and Gore have already made it and show no signs of slowing. Crabtree had very good numbers especially for a kid that was a camp and season hold out and if Crabtree or VD made it, there is a very good chance the guy throwing it to them has to be considered. I think the league would love a "turn around story" on Alex Smith.

if he lights it up this year would he be considered for comeback player of the year? i mean he wasnt horrible last year so i dont think he gets the consideration but his NFL history was so up and down hes gotta be considered
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
He SHOULD be having a great practice against rookies and 2nd/3rd stringers.

Isn't that the point? He should be ahead of the defense and should be hitting all of his receivers. As he continues to work he should be developing timing and confidence with his receivers and when TC comes he should be showing off more and more timing confidence. When his receivers are not getting open he should be telling them about their issues and how to solve it so that they work as a team. The defense should be testifying, in TC, that they have a live QB on their hands and that they are having problems covering the offense. A. Smith should be having success at this level and then build on that success for the TC, and then build on that success so that the whole offense is ready by the first game. We need to hit the gate running on all cylinders. I want it to be unfair if we turn A. Smith loose on anything but the 1st string offense and then I want them tested to the point that the defense has to grow in skill to keep up with our offense. So go get em Alex put up yards all over them, hit TDs all over the place, and get that timing down with Ginn, Crabtree, Morgan, Williams, Davis, etc.

You are right.
I believe you guys missed one from earlier today...

Quote:
mattbarrows: Smith just hit Crabtree in the corner of the endzone on a nice timing pattern.

• fan49
  • Veteran
same thing last year in preseason with davis. what we are not noting is whoever is on defense. accuracy is accuracy. everyone wants to hate on smith for not being accurate... Well 18-19 is super accurate. even if he had or didnt have pressure. If he was pressured and u lower to 14 of 19 thats still accurate!

To all the smith haters... No reason to talk smack anymore, as i am a smith homer according to you. Alex has this year, he has his weaopons, he has a better line. and a same coordinator for the first time. As i completely encourage and hope smith does great, homer or hater u should too! Its 1 year as a niner fan it should not be hard to support him!

[ Edited by fan49 on Jun 8, 2010 at 13:24:00 ]
Originally posted by fan49:
same thing last year in preseason with davis. what we are not noting is whoever is on defense. accuracy is accuracy. everyone wants to hate on smith for not being accurate... Well 18-19 is super accurate. even if he had or didnt have pressure. If he was pressured and u lower to 14 of 19 thats still accurate!

To all the smith haters... No reason to talk smack anymore, as i am a smith homer according to you. Alex has this year, he has his weaopons, he has a better line. and a same coordinator for the first time. As i completely encourage and hope smith does great, homer or hater u should too! Its 1 year as a niner fan it should not be hard to support him!

ok
Nice to hear. PROVE ME WRONG ALEX!
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
wonder if the defense is practicing blitzes. i mean i can hit 18 of 19 jumpers in my driveway without pressure, but put a defender in my face trying to block my shot and im just average. i am pro-alex, and the news of him being more of a vocal leader is encouraging, but we are talking about practice.

as i am a high school basketball coach, I highly doubt u could hit 10-19 open jumpers! if ur hitting 18-19 jumpers go play college ball. Cause more likely than not kobe will not hit that many. Hell prolly hit like 10 and miss!

And i bet peyton didnt hit 18-19 if he practiced today. ANd no no comparison just saying that is a good practice for any level qb

[ Edited by fan49 on Jun 8, 2010 at 13:30:25 ]
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
wonder if the defense is practicing blitzes. i mean i can hit 18 of 19 jumpers in my driveway without pressure, but put a defender in my face trying to block my shot and im just average. i am pro-alex, and the news of him being more of a vocal leader is encouraging, but we are talking about practice.

as i am a high school basketball coach, I highly doubt u could hit 10-19 open jumpers! if ur hitting 18-19 jumpers go play college ball. Cause more likely than not kobe will not hit that many. Hell prolly hit like 10 and miss!

And i bet peyton didnt hit 18-19 if he practiced today. ANd no no comparison just saying that is a good practice for any level qb

lol
Share 49ersWebzone