LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

Mic'd Up - Coach Singletary @ OTA's

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't know about you guys, but I think Mike Singletary is finally starting to become a head coach. I'm not talking about just the title, I'm talking about the way he conducts his practices, the way he actually teaches the team and makes them accountable. He just seems more confident in what and how he teaches. He looks a little more sure of himself and that much more decisive. At first, like anyone, things can get a little out of hand if you haven't done it before. Now I think he is starting to grasp what it takes to be a successful head coach. That just makes me that much more excited.
[ Edited by BleedRednGold on Jun 5, 2010 at 3:05 PM ]
I wonder what he is carrying around... I bet its a bible haha
Yeeeeee ayyyy aaaa.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by BleedRednGold:
I don't know about you guys, but I think Mike Singletary is finally starting to become a head coach. I'm not talking about just the title, I'm talking about the way he conducts his practices, the way he actually teaches the team and makes them accountable. He just seems more confident in what and how he teaches. He looks a little more sure of himself and that much more decisive. At first, like anyone, things can get a little out of hand if you haven't done it before. Now I think he is starting to grasp what it takes to be a successful head coach. That just makes me that much more excited.

Well yeah, this is "basically" year 3! for Sing after taking over in 08. The couple years of the ericsson era, then you had the few years of Nolan, time to make the big step!!
Originally posted by confusedrhino:

It's a notebook. He keeps notes on all the players. Good play, bad play. He doesn't forget.
haha singletary is a bad dude!!
Originally posted by suso365:

It's a notebook. He keeps notes on all the players. Good play, bad play. He doesn't forget.

Good memory.
Originally posted by suso365:

Like Saint Nick, Sing knows who's been bad or good and he don't need no stinkin list.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Samurai Mike is gonna have our boys busting some heads this season

Taylor Mays is going to fit right in. That's for damn sure!

I will be the first one to say how I miss the old days of Walsh's (RIP) WC and Seifert's D's. However, I love the way Singletary coaches, too. He does have the gift of discernment and command. He's a natural leader.

That leadership coupled with his NFL experience as both player and coach along side his innate talents to coach and, most importantly, his sheer will to dominate physically on the field will cast a new brand of Niner ball.

There is no doubt in my mind, nor should it be in yours, that Coach lives and breathes Niner ball now. He is the team. He's brutally honest with a father-type caring that's genuine. He really is invested in not only the players on the team, but those players as men.

You see it. He'll be Player/Coach in-you-face attitude when hot like he did with Chilo. But, he also came back, looked him in the eye, and became a father type, encouraging him and re-focusing him to the task at hand.

In this vid, you also see it. He's all in the CB's faces about hand placement before the five yard marker. He wants the CB's to use their hands to be physical, disrupting any timing for the WR. Now, that's how it is done. He kept on them and even had some encouraging words. He's a true coach.

The idea that he's doesn't know X's and O's is preposterous!!!! In the way he coaches, you can see the attention to detail in his coaching on any given play whether defense, offense or even the ST. He knows NFL football, old school at that which has been missing today. Now, he's learning all the nuances of the HC position including game and clock management.

That will come with time. I believe he does learn from his mistakes quickly and he welcomes to be challenged. We have a true NFL-seasoned warrior as our HC. It's rubbing off on the players. Walsh used pysch games with the players using his coordinators as pawns. Instead, Singletary uses an approach of directness and honesty, no BS.

I am looking forward to this new attitude in SF. For me, it's about time!
Originally posted by ninertico:
... He's all in the CB's faces about hand placement before the five yard marker. He wants the CB's to use their hands to be physical, disrupting any timing for the WR. Now, that's how it is done. He kept on them and even had some encouraging words...

This was the highlight of the video for me. If the 49ers can get physical play from their corners and play in press coverage much of the time, it will really be a shut-down defense.
[ Edited by Yetiman on Jun 6, 2010 at 11:25 AM ]
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Samurai Mike is gonna have our boys busting some heads this season

Taylor Mays is going to fit right in. That's for damn sure!

Originally posted by Yetiman:
Originally posted by ninertico:
... He's all in the CB's faces about hand placement before the five yard marker. He wants the CB's to use their hands to be physical, disrupting any timing for the WR. Now, that's how it is done. He kept on them and even had some encouraging words...

This was the highlight of the video for me. If the 49ers can get physical play from their corners and play in press coverage much of the time, it will really be a shut-down defense.

Hell yes it will. The piece gives an insight to how Singletary coaches. He was an ILB during his career, but was barking out coaching tips to the secondary. He knows this game inside out.

That was just a piece of the puzzle.

Singletary played enough times against the Niners to know you don't let Rice and Co. run free off the gate. The CB have to disrupt the timing of the WR. The same still holds true in today's game. We better have good safety help too.
Share 49ersWebzone