There are 218 users in the forums

0-5 Start to the new Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Veteran
Its not going to happen, but if it did, some heads are going to roll.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
The worst possible scenario is we go 0-16

1-15 is the worst possible scenerio. They play the Raiders on October 17th.
yup he's 100% correct...we're going to go 0-5 with 1 forfeit..we're not going to win a game this year..maybe next year we can win 1..damnit it's only june

Step aside,Butch.
Thanks, Defender...just missed it. We beat denver here, not there. Close game, but W. That makes 10 Ws and we don't have to beat ATL, Cards in desert, or Carolina. STill , i think we take one of those and lose one i have as W(not sure which, and it will be a game where 9ers just show up unprepared, like they did on occasion last yr. Only once this yr will we lose a game because our guys never answered the wake up call. 1st full yr coach, it is understandable. 2nd yr, maybe one we just play off key and lose. But no more than that. Still think 10-6.

Man oh man, am i excited to see this OL in action. IF they gel early, say they look to be in rhythm by end of preseason, lookout. I don't think that will happen, and frankly
think OL will still be out of sync, OT to OT for first 4 games, maybe 5. But i don't see them looking like turkeys after game 5. I think they will get used to one another, and i hope bigRay gets rachal back to form...pancakes for breakfast, lunch, and especially for gametime.
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
Originally posted by DownSouth:
Originally posted by amigoj49:
Here is our full 2010 season schedule:

Sun 9/12 @Seahawks
Mon 9/20 Saints
Sun 9/26 @Chiefs
Sun 10/03 @Falcons
Sun 10/10 Eagles
Sun 10/17 Raiders
Sun 10/24 @Panthers
Sun 10/31 Broncos
BYE
Sun 11/14 Rams
Sun 11/21 Buccaneers
Mon 11/29 @Cardinals
Sun 12/5 @Packers
Sun 12/12 Seahawks
Thur 12/16 @Chargers
Sun 12/26 @Rams
Sun 1/2 Cardinals

Here are my thoughts and reasons:

Season opener @Seattle is no picnic - LOSS
Defending Champions, Saints, very difficult - LOSS
Arrowhead is one of the toughest places to play - LOSS
Falcons, they could kill us - LOSS
Eagles, a strong team - LOSS

I am just trying to look at our season from the worst possible scenario. Above losses are definite possiblities. BUT, let's look at the rest of the season:

Raiders, come on! - WIN
@Panthers, a running team - WIN
Broncos, can you say Tebow? - WIN
Rams, junk - WIN
Bucanneers, we are just better - WIN
@Cardinals, we OWN them - WIN
@Packers, tough one - LOSS
Seahawks, Pete who? - WIN
@Chargers, let's just stay being a pessimist - LOSS
@Rams, they are still the rams - WIN
Cardinals, for the division - WIN

Obviously, I don't want to see us start out 0-5. But, even if we were to start out 0-5, we can end up at 9-7. AND if we can win 2 out of those first 5 games and unfortunately lose an unexpected one somewhere, we would still end up at 10-6. And most likely WIN our division.

Before the start of last year, I thought we were going to make the playoffs.... I would have bet my little pinky on that... And would have sadly lost it.

But as you can see, I think we got this now! I am so dang excited for our season. My wish for the playoffs is going to finally happen fo sho! Go Niners!
Don't listen to the rampant homers here in the zone. Your projection isn't unreasonable, so anyone calling this a "fail" w/o a real explanation is a moron. The big question marks in the first 5 games are the hawks, chiefs and eagles.

Seattle is a very hard place to play. Most Niner fans assume we'll win b/c "we're a better team", but those fans forget that we were a better team last year too and we still lost. This one is really a toss up. It'll be close either way. A loss is far from unreasonable.

The chiefs in arrowhead will be tough, but I don't see any way we lose that game. Their offense has real trouble running the ball (it's not their RB, it's their OL) and protecting the QB. Unless the crowd forces the niner offense to fall apart, I think this is an easy win.

The Eagles? As a team, they are better than us. Kolb is really their quesiton mark. If he plays well, they beat us easily. If he plays poorly we probably pull out a win. Then again, our defense has been almost incapable of stopping a good receiving TE and our defense got shredded by Jackson last year. This game could go either way, but I think we lose.

So, overall, your projection isn't unreasonable. Personally, I think 1-4 or 2-3 are more likely.

In the past few years, I believe McNabb was beating us not the Eagles. As a team, it never seemed like they ever dominated/took control of the game. But McNabb, however, did.
You may want to check last year's tape again b/c your memory is a little off.

McNabb didn't beat us last year--Jackson, Alex Smith, the Eagles' Defense, and our lack of a pass rusher beat us last year. McNabb only had a 72 Qb rating for the game, 21/36, 306yds, 1TD, 2INTs--a "good" game, but hardly a dominating performance. McNabb faced very little pressure all day.

For some reason, Jackson often found himself running through our secondary w/o a Niner within 5 yards of him. Jackson killed us to the tune of 140 yards and was wide open for another 50+ yard TD, but McNabb missed him. The Eagles don't need McNabb to throw to Jackson while he's either wide open or being covered by a strong safety.

Further, McNabb doesn't play defense, so he had nothing to do with Smith throwing 3 first half picks and Walker losing a fumble at the Eagles 6 yard line. Early in the game, Smith missed Davis and Walker on wide open big plays up the field. Oh, and did I mention that the Niner offense didn't convert a single third down all game!!

McNabb beat us in 2009? No, not really.

For the Niners to beat the eagles in 2010, Smith will have play well against a quality opponent for a change, the team cannot turn the ball over and our coaches will have to scheme to cover Jackson and Celek at all costs--force someone else (McCoy, Maclin) to beat us.
Any worse than a 3-2 start will =
Predictions this time of the off-season are meaningless...far too many variables, the most important of which are our two new OL studs. If Solari and Brown do their thing and get them ready to start game 1, our OL takes on a whole new look and feel. The rooks will make mistakes...that's part of the learning/seasoning process. But, they'll also knock a few heads off and our running game should be stout. Alex's athleticism should get him through the early season 'til the pass protection solidifies.

Beyond the OL, there are many other unknowns...like, will Franklin sign his contract and play like he did last 1 1/2 seasons. Will Ahmad Brooks become our premier pass rusher...will Haralson rebound to earlier form...will Clements be more like his previous seasons...will Goldson continue to become the defensive backfield playmaker...will Lawson step up...will Crabtree emerge as our real #1 WR...will Morgan become the downfield WR to make big plays...will Ginn make a real impact in the passing game...well, you get the picture. All teams have question marks this time of year, including the champion Saints.

So, my suggestion is to wait 'til at least the last couple of preseason games to make any meaningful predictions. By then we'll have a much better idea who'll actually make the team. Even then, predicting in the NFL is a crapshoot...too many things can and will happen...which is one of the things that make it so compelling.
I thought it was time to bring this thread out again. This was my prediction before all of you believed the hype that we were going to win the division with ease. But guess what, it never is that easy.

Do not give up on this team. We will make a strong comeback. Our o-line will need time to grow.... You can't expect 2 rookies to play like probowlers right away.

I told you before the season that we'd start off slow.... But we will get there, it just takes time. We can still get to the playoffs! Keep the faith.
I thought it was time to bring this thread out again. This was my prediction before all of you believed the hype that we were going to win the division with ease. But guess what, it never is that easy.

Do not give up on this team. We will make a strong comeback. Our o-line will need time to grow.... You can't expect 2 rookies to play like probowlers right away.

I told you before the season that we'd start off slow.... But we will get there, it just takes time. We can still get to the playoffs! Keep the faith.

good call dood...i honestly thought we'd be 1-4, with a win over talentless seattle...the rest of the games seemed really hard...KC at home is always hard, atlanta is a team running on all cylinders, and phili, even though they are fizzling out, are still a dominent team with VICK...hell, even the way the FAIDERS played today, i wouldnt be surprised if we lost to them, to go 0-6

Originally posted by Afghan49er:

good call dood...i honestly thought we'd be 1-4, with a win over talentless seattle...the rest of the games seemed really hard...KC at home is always hard, atlanta is a team running on all cylinders, and phili, even though they are fizzling out, are still a dominent team with VICK...hell, even the way the FAIDERS played today, i wouldnt be surprised if we lost to them, to go 0-6

im Afghan too!!!

Dude, you are Nostrodamus! But unfortunately, I see this team going 4-12 at best. Even the Lambs look better than us with and we're not wining any away games. Maybe @ STL or AZ but that's about it
Originally posted by Ninerboy1:
This dude sounds crazy 0-5 start no way in hell

said it a million times. When you get insulted by the majority of the board, take it as a compliment
If we do start 0-5 anyone scared we might lose to the raiders? Damn I hope not, but even raiders have better offense play calling.
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Ninerboy1:
This dude sounds crazy 0-5 start no way in hell

said it a million times. When you get insulted by the majority of the board, take it as a compliment

Thanks. I've been a Niner faithful for 30 years now. I am more depressed than I had ever been... I know that with just ANY ONE WIN, we'd get back on the right track. It would be monumental to see us beat the Falcons next week.
Share 49ersWebzone