LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 156 users in the forums

Who Should Be the Backup QB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who Should Be the Backup QB?

Nate Davis
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by spizzy:

Is that against Villanova? I didn't know they had a football team.

Brian Westbrook played at villanova
Carr right now but Nate should get every opportunity this preseason to be the 1st QB off the bench.
Shaun Hill
davis! lets get the kid some reps and see what he can do
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Whoever we draft in the 2nd or 3rd round.
Originally posted by stump50:
Has to be Carr until Nate develops more

end of thread
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Have to vote for Carr until we hear something more promising from young Nate.

I don't care what I hear, I care what I see on the field. Hopefully Nate gets some snaps in a meaningful game so we can see how he looks against quality opponents. Hopefully we see that in a blowout in our favor and he comes in to clean up and close it out.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Have to vote for Carr until we hear something more promising from young Nate.

I don't care what I hear, I care what I see on the field. Hopefully Nate gets some snaps in a meaningful game so we can see how he looks against quality opponents. Hopefully we see that in a blowout in our favor and he comes in to clean up and close it out.

If Nate Davis sees the field, that means the end pretty much near for Smith and Carr.
As far as I'm concerned, I give the edge to Nate Davis. He has the same amount of time in this offense as Alex Smith. David Carr is the one who has to play catch up.

Originally posted by FourNine49:
whichever is chosen by the coaches. they know more football than us fans

This is the common thought, but it's not always accurate. There are plenty of fans out there that would make better decisions than some of these coaches.

I'm more qualified to run the division I work under than my boss is, but certain things have to fall in place to get the opportunity to be in that position. The same can be said about NFL personnel.

Anyone with half a brain could run the country better than Bush did, but not everyone was in position to become president. See what I mean?

Just because they coach doesn't mean some fans wouldn't make better decisions.
Lets see how tc and preseason pans out.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by FourNine49:
whichever is chosen by the coaches. they know more football than us fans

This is the common thought, but it's not always accurate. There are plenty of fans out there that would make better decisions than some of these coaches.

I'm more qualified to run the division I work under than my boss is, but certain things have to fall in place to get the opportunity to be in that position. The same can be said about NFL personnel.

Anyone with half a brain could run the country better than Bush did, but not everyone was in position to become president. See what I mean?

Just because they coach doesn't mean some fans wouldn't make better decisions.

But coaches get to watch them practice every day
i love how everyone has this blind confidence in Nate Davis, who has done nothing to this point. playing "ok" in garbage time vs 3rd stringers in preseason ONCE doesnt qualify as something to get excited about.

yeah, lets stick a guy with no NFL experience as our backup based on nothing....smart...

ill take the guy whos been in the league a long time, started, been a backup, understands the NFL, etc.
Originally posted by Niners99:
i love how everyone has this blind confidence in Nate Davis, who has done nothing to this point. playing "ok" in garbage time vs 3rd stringers in preseason ONCE doesnt qualify as something to get excited about.

yeah, lets stick a guy with no NFL experience as our backup based on nothing....smart...

ill take the guy whos been in the league a long time, started, been a backup, understands the NFL, etc.

Nate has shown some great things last preseason. I think if he improves and does really well in preseason and TC this year, would it be fair for him to be backup? definitely.

My main argument for Nate being backup is so he actually gets to play QB at practice, not necessarily to see him come in and play. The 3rd string QB doesn't really get any reps during the season, while mainly playing defensive positions on the scout team.

We know what we have in Smith and Carr, but Nate is still a mystery. If he has a really good TC and preseason, he should be in serious consideration for the backup role.
Share 49ersWebzone