There are 206 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Just watched 3 full games with Taylor Mays (and 1 with Navorro Bowman)...

...and I understand now why NFL teams are so perplexed by him.

The games I watched...

2010 Senior Bowl
USC@Oregon from last year
Rose Bowl-USC VS. Penn State 2009 (Bowl Game after 2008 season)

This is what I saw.

His athletic ability is real. You can see it. He doesn't look like he's moving very fast, but he is. He closes in a hurry.

He has a SERIOUS problem wrapping up. He just keeps throwing that should into a guy and only seems to use his arms when the guy is already past him and he's in pursuit.

As hard as he hits at times, he seems real tentative at others. If he's got a chance at a knockout shot, he'll take it, but very often he doesn't seem to put his nose into the action. For that reason, I'm now a little leary of playing him alot in the box. He won't play like a linebacker.

The thing that suprised me the most tho makes me kinda buy into what he said about Carroll at USC. I don't think he was used correctly. He was almost ALWAYS played 20 yards off the LOS and very often didn't even appear in the picture because he was so far away from the play. It could be that he lacks insticts, but it could also be that he was used incorrectly and wasn't put in the proper position to make plays.

It kinda maddening watching him. On one play, he looks like the second coming of Sean Taylor. On the next he looks like Dana Hall.

I am a bit more convinced now that he can be a deep coverage safety now, but a little less convinced he'll play alot in the box. I believe the niners that they will give him a chance to do both.

As I mentioned before, one of the games was a Penn State-USC game so I also got to watch Navorro Bowman. I like him. ;-) He's not real big and he's not real fast, but he is very quick, he sheds blockers well, he moves through traffic well and he makes the play. He appears very fast in short areas, but if he has to run a long way, he's kinda exposed.

I think he looks great for a 3rd rounder.
Taylor Mays will be a beast with the proper coaching and mentoring.
And I see Navorro Bowman as Jamie Winborn 2.0. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
And I see Navorro Bowman as Jamie Winborn 2.0. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

But taller.
I`m really not worried about Mays. He just needs to be coached up a lil. If you dont think Mays will turn out as good as Goldson then you are crazy. He can do everything Goldson can do and do it bigger. Manusky wants mirror safties and thats what he is going to get with Mays. A big hitter who has the ability to get to the ball. In 2 years I think Mays will be a lot better than Goldson all the way around. Lets be real here, Goldson is a pretty good young safety who is still growing in the scheme but His ceiling is much lower than Mays`s ceiling. Thats why I`m excited about that safety tandem. Because I like Golson a lot, but I think Mays can be even better. I suspect Mays will be starting by mid season after playing here and there at the begining of the year. He is going to light it up right off the bat on ST this year though.
One of my main concerns with Mays though is his attutide. He just seemed bored/uninterested as a senior. Routinely he would take boneheaded personal fouls. He knew he had physical gifts and too often solely relied on them. I've seen him play 2 games in person and watched most of his starts over his last two seasons, and the issues he had tackling are real. He NEVER wraps up and in the NFL many ball carriers will just bounce off of him. He also comes in to upright sometimes. I remember a play against UCLA last year where he took a stiff-arm and got carried for 5 more yards because he came in way too high and wasn't in a position to make a tackle.

He's certainly a big project, but hopefully the 49ers can turn him around.
[ Edited by Druckenmiller14 on May 30, 2010 at 6:56 PM ]
He also was guaranteed to start every game. Not the case here.
if mays can be an adrian wilson type player ill be satisfied

there is aplay where he runs to the sideline vs cal and drops jahvid best in open field on a short run to prevent a 1st down
Originally posted by bigmike55:

I know he was a zone favourite, but none of the seven NFL teams he has played for so far seem to agree.
Mays will need some work on
Hope they both get coached up properly to fit into this defense
Taylor Mays will be successful
Taylor Mays vows to be the "biggest 2nd round steal ever".
http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/208149.asp?
I agree with a lot of what you seen. The people who say Pete Carroll did not use him properly; Look Pete Carroll was an NFL defensive backs coach for a long time and a NFL DC for 6 years, he obviously did not use him in pass coverage because Mays was not good/comfortable in it. He does need to learn how to wrap up better and learn when to go for the big hit and when not to go for it. His closing speed is amazing but his ball skills lack which concerns me. We'll see what happens with him but to me he is at least a year away from getting on the field on our defense.
Originally posted by Druckenmiller14:
One of my main concerns with Mays though is his attutide. He just seemed bored/uninterested as a senior. Routinely he would take boneheaded personal fouls. He knew he had physical gifts and too often solely relied on them. I've seen him play 2 games in person and watched most of his starts over his last two seasons, and the issues he had tackling are real. He NEVER wraps up and in the NFL many ball carriers will just bounce off of him. He also comes in to upright sometimes. I remember a play against UCLA last year where he took a stiff-arm and got carried for 5 more yards because he came in way too high and wasn't in a position to make a tackle.

He's certainly a big project, but hopefully the 49ers can turn him around.

I don't see this happening as often, he'll be going from one of the most relaxed coaches in football to one of the most intense. Singletary ain't perfect, but he sure won't tolerate consistent personal fouls.