LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 251 users in the forums

The Heitmann poll

Shop Find 49ers gear online

The Heitmann poll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnGJLT8GDtk

Okay, so help me out here. What I'm seeing is #11 in the shotgun. He drops back 5 more yards. We are looking at 3 DL and 4 defenders standing up in the box. The standing defender to Bernard's immediate left stunted in past #65... Heitmann put a shot on Bernard, but then picked up the stunting defender. Looks to me like Larry Allen just fell asleep on the job. Seems like Heitmann expected more help from Allen.

That's just the way it looks to me, but to each their own.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Okay, so help me out here. What I'm seeing is #11 in the shotgun. He drops back 5 more yards. We are looking at 3 DL and 4 defenders standing up in the box. The standing defender to Bernard's immediate left stunted in past #65... Heitmann put a shot on Bernard, but then picked up the stunting defender. Looks to me like Larry Allen just fell asleep on the job. Seems like Heitmann expected more help from Allen.

That's just the way it looks to me, but to each their own.

Oh you mean the part where Heitmann actually blocked Allen out of the play? It actually SHOWS Heitmann as the culprit, but hey what do I know, Maybe Heitmann suffered from man love so badly he had to hug Big ole Larry Allen to show him

But what you're saying is not how it went down. Sure LA could have been "slow" but if you can find the rewind of the backfield cam you'd see that it was INDEED Heitmann.

And this is Heitmann's whole career in a nutshell. He calls the wrong protections making EVERYONE take the wrong assignments and misses his own assignment with his confusion.

All you need to do is go back and look at the Jennings bruhaha where LA has to keep him from killing Nolan. Professionals, even a malingerer like JJ, don't get twisted over their own mistakes when they KNOW they made it. Even if the Coach is dressing them down a bit excessively. They'll take the criticism and move on. Jennings wanted to pound Coach Nolan into the turf like a human tent peg.

Anyway in case you missed it look at the 10 second to 15 second mark. Heitmann CLEARLY has his arms around the wrong jersey.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on May 31, 2010 at 9:39 AM ]
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Anyway in case you missed it look at the 10 second to 15 second mark. Heitmann CLEARLY has his arms around the wrong jersey.

~Ceadder

I'm just not seeing what you are... so I guess it's one of those agree to disagree things. Looks to me like Allen was too slow to move to the right and pick up Bernard.

Again... I find this Bernard quote interesting...

* I'm not saying Heitmann made a correct blocking assignment call... or saying he could not have done a better job on the play as a whole.

Quote:
“Usually, when we run that blitz, the guard slams down on me and one of the linebackers goes free. But the guard, Larry Allen, actually looked over at the linebacker and let me go completely free,’’ Benard told Johnson.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2008/09/11/rocky-bernard-looks-back-on-fateful-sack-of-smith/

~Ceadder

I'm just not seeing what you are... so I guess it's one of those agree to disagree things. Looks to me like Allen was too slow to move to the right and pick up Bernard.

* I'm not saying Heitmann made a correct blocking assignment call... or saying he could not have done a better job on the play as a whole.

Quote:
“Usually, when we run that blitz, the guard slams down on me and one of the linebackers goes free. But the guard, Larry Allen, actually looked over at the linebacker and let me go completely free,’’ Benard told Johnson.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2008/09/11/rocky-bernard-looks-back-on-fateful-sack-of-smith/

But when you take yourself (In this case Bernard) out of the play and step back and LOOK at the play through the eyes of the Backfield Judge things become much clearer. In fact as I pointed out (it's in SLOMO) Heitmann took Allen out of the play. You can somewhat see that in the distance shot, especially after seeing Heitmann hugging Allen in the slowed down portion and then rewinding to the beginning. All starts to become clear. Allen DID take on the LB, but tried to move inside to take on Bernard TOO and got ROOSTERBLOCKED by Heitmann who didn't lay a glove on Bernard.

But I hear ya man I'm looking for the Backfield Instant Replay Version cause it clearly shows what happened. This one isn't bad, in fact I hadn't realized that they(Allen and Heitmann) ended up in a clinch. So what you dug up showed me something that I didn't catch. I've played on the Line and if you can see everyone 360 degrees on a play you should be getting top money for your position. You're lucky if you get 70 degrees field of vision in a helmet. Put those big uglies around you wearing the Same colors? You don't know who is who unless they are directly in front of you. That's why what Bernard says is worthless. Oh I'm sure he has his version and believes wholeheartedly that his version is correct. But you can see just in your offering that Bernard couldn't REALLY have seen it that way. He's going off replay, probably saw most of the play up on the field replay screen. Ask any cop how good recall is from witnesses in a traffic accident. Cause that's essentially what this is.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by NinerGM:

~Ceadder

Quote:

But when you take yourself (In this case Bernard) out of the play and step back and LOOK at the play through the eyes of the Backfield Judge things become much clearer. In fact as I pointed out (it's in SLOMO) Heitmann took Allen out of the play. You can somewhat see that in the distance shot, especially after seeing Heitmann hugging Allen in the slowed down portion and then rewinding to the beginning. All starts to become clear. Allen DID take on the LB, but tried to move inside to take on Bernard TOO and got ROOSTERBLOCKED by Heitmann who didn't lay a glove on Bernard.

But I hear ya man I'm looking for the Backfield Instant Replay Version cause it clearly shows what happened. This one isn't bad, in fact I hadn't realized that they(Allen and Heitmann) ended up in a clinch. So what you dug up showed me something that I didn't catch. I've played on the Line and if you can see everyone 360 degrees on a play you should be getting top money for your position. You're lucky if you get 70 degrees field of vision in a helmet. Put those big uglies around you wearing the Same colors? You don't know who is who unless they are directly in front of you. That's why what Bernard says is worthless. Oh I'm sure he has his version and believes wholeheartedly that his version is correct. But you can see just in your offering that Bernard couldn't REALLY have seen it that way. He's going off replay, probably saw most of the play up on the field replay screen. Ask any cop how good recall is from witnesses in a traffic accident. Cause that's essentially what this is.

~Ceadder

IMHO, this should rarely ever happen but it's not too different from what we saw this season, just on the left side. There was clear miscommunication between Heitmann and Rachal and at times between Heitmann and Baas. Why this wasn't seen on film and rectified for most of the season escapes me. As much as I believe talent was an issue, I really believe a big part of it was coaching, play design and inexperience in the offense. Alex says in previous interviews, he didn't know what protections to call at times. That has a major impact on blocking. However, the biggest responsibility for recognizing pressure at the LOS and protection is Heitmann. More importantly, if he's not consistent coaches need to coach him (and the line) up better and adjust to account for the faults. I didn't see many adjustments last season and hopefully Solari and Brown will force these guys to become much more detailed in technique and get whoever will start to gel quickly.

Exactly. That's why I got so pissed when the Announcers would gush non-stop about Heitmann. We really don't know what the issue is, I'll give you that much. Especially since the last two OL Coaches seemed to just be there to collect a pay check. How this stuff can go unnoticed by the "professional" Coach is beyond me. It could be that Sing not understanding this stuff(and Nolan before him) didn't know what questions to pose to them about why our OLine in general looked like the 5 stooges.

I'm just glad we have gotten back to the WCO basics of how a Line should be run. I don't expect us to run the WCO at all. But Solari and Ray will bring some continuity to the OLine that we haven't seen in a long time. And any weak spot will be identified and dealt with.

~Ceadder
Honestly, when i first saw that quote, i wasn't sure what MB was saying. I'll say this: he sure could have chosen better words to make himself understood. After seeing pages of point/counterpoint, i am no more certain now than i was before what MB actually meant. His syntax is confusing. As for the film clip, the one that is missing is seeing it thru the camera of the offensive backfield judge. That was the replay they must have shown 8 gazillion times. Looking at it from this angle is not what i remembered at all. Clearly bernard whizzes by on the L or left center. I recall an unobstructed shot/hit on alex and got that sick feeling in my stomach. I do not have the tape in that i refused to see it again. Was i mad, disgusted, angry? Yes. Do i still remember it? yes. Do i want heit to succeed this yr? bet your azz.

One thing for sure this yr as opposed to our most recent humiliating yrs: if you ARE an OL and you go "el whiffo" on this OL, you ARE going to hear your name mentioned...loud and clear, too. I just don't expect to see that kind of garbage with solari /bigRay here. If it happens, somebody is going to find himself in the doghouse. Incidentally, rachal isn't out of the woods yet, and he is going to need a world of coaching up. He was twice the player at USC that he became here, going backward as last season progressed. i trust solari/big ray are going to fix that. Funny thing, we never mention bigMike while discussing the OL, and that has to change. He has to understand the OL completely, and we need his input as HC. 1st, tho he has to learn how to coach the postition, and that is something else i hope solari/ big ray help out with.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Staley on Solari:

“It’s all business, 100 percent of the time,” left tackle Joe Staley said. “Not saying it wasn’t last year, but just the demeanor he brings when he comes into the building, the mentality that he’s breeding here. ... When we get on the field and work, the attention to details and the fundamentals, the techniques, it’s really going back to basics.”

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20100531/sports/100539959

Be honest Joe, it WASN'T last year and we could tell!

Wonder what Solari thinks of "The Joe Show."
Okay here it is the official meaning of unassuming
un·as·sum·ing (ŭn'ə-sōō'mĭng)
adj. Exhibiting no pretensions, boastfulness, or ostentation; modest.
Originally posted by WildBill:

But the syntax of it could mean this "If you suck you aren't looking for someone to shine the spotlight on you"

paso bro you hit the nail on the head, that's the highlight I'm talking about. Nvmd make that lowlight. I got really bent out of shape seeing RB leave his feet like that and ride our QB into the ground. I understand "full contact" but the he didn't have to do that. If Smith isn't going to go down drive through him and end forward momentum. Refs blow the whistle, it still counts as a sack.

Because of that play I my ass off when Bam Bam hit Hasselback and knocked him out of the game. And there was nothing wrong with Bam Bam's hit as Hass, was going head first and looking to score. That's how the game is played.

I dunno maybe I'm sore for no reason but I've noticed that other teams take late shots at our guys left and right and NEVER get penalized for it.

We gotta lay down the law with these cats. Hit our guy late we'll hit yours late too.

~Ceadder

Originally posted by WildBill:

But the syntax of it could mean this "If you suck you aren't looking for someone to shine the spotlight on you"

paso bro you hit the nail on the head, that's the highlight I'm talking about. Nvmd make that lowlight. I got really bent out of shape seeing RB leave his feet like that and ride our QB into the ground. I understand "full contact" but the he didn't have to do that. If Smith isn't going to go down drive through him and end forward momentum. Refs blow the whistle, it still counts as a sack.

Because of that play I my ass off when Bam Bam hit Hasselback and knocked him out of the game. And there was nothing wrong with Bam Bam's hit as Hass, was going head first and looking to score. That's how the game is played.

I dunno maybe I'm sore for no reason but I've noticed that other teams take late shots at our guys left and right and NEVER get penalized for it.

We gotta lay down the law with these cats. Hit our guy late we'll hit yours late too.

~Ceadder

except we hit their guy harder
I refer to Heitmann as the pancake. Not him doing the pancaking, but him getting pancaked.
Share 49ersWebzone