LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 296 users in the forums

The Heitmann poll

Shop Find 49ers gear online

The Heitmann poll

Originally posted by Dominate:
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
For the context of this poll, here is the original starting point of this debate..I should say lack of debate:

MB Chat Today:

12:42 [Comment From Six-Ace-DeuceSix-Ace-Deuce: ]
Is there any chance David Baas could challenge Eric Heitmann for his job as the starting Center? Given Baas' record at Michigan and recognition he received as a Center there.

Friday May 28, 2010 12:42 Six-Ace-Deuce
12:43 MattB_49: Heitmann is one of the most underrated centers in the league. He's so unassuming. My joke is that if he starts a locker-room fistfight and the news gets picked up by ESPN and Pro Football Talk, he'll go to his first Pro Bowl. if the 49ers reach the playoffs, in fact, I definitely can see Heitmann going to Hawaii ...

The starter of this thread believes that MB is calling Heitmann a "p*ssy" (his words, not mine in the other thread), which is silly.

Cheers.

What I initially said was that MB was POLITELY calling Heitmann a p***y, which can certainly be one interpretation.

And Maddog didn't say it was a "silly" interpretation, he said it was impossible to read it that way.

I didnt read it the way you did either. As much as I like to disagree with Maddog I cant on this one. If memory serves me correctly MB has written up Heitman more than deserved IMO. He is a Heitman supporter that wouldnt say the comment in question as you took said comment.

But the issue is not what MB meant, its whether the words could be interpreted as criticism, even faint criticism, which I believe is a fair reading of what MB wrote.

The dictionary definition of "unassuming" means "modest, retiring." If I called you "unassuming" it could be a compliment, but it wouldn't mean I think you're aggressive or overbearing. Just the opposite.

Taken to its extreme, "so unassuming" could mean "very unassuming" very passive, meek.

I don't know exactly what MB meant, but his words could be interpreted as being criticism of Heitmann for not being very assertive.
Following the logic of the poster of this thread, and the exact words of MB, I think I've figured it out. MB is schizophrenic.

MB #1 thinks that Heitmann is one of the most underrated centers in the league and thinks he could go to the Pro-Bowl if the Niners reach the playoff.

Meanwhile, MB#2 believes that he is "so unassuming"= He is a "p*ssy".

It is all coming together.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
For the context of this poll, here is the original starting point of this debate..I should say lack of debate:

MB Chat Today:

Is there any chance David Baas could challenge Eric Heitmann for his job as the starting Center? Given Baas' record at Michigan and recognition he received as a Center there.

12:43 MattB_49: Heitmann is one of the most underrated centers in the league. He's so unassuming. My joke is that if he starts a locker-room fistfight and the news gets picked up by ESPN and Pro Football Talk, he'll go to his first Pro Bowl. if the 49ers reach the playoffs, in fact, I definitely can see Heitmann going to Hawaii ...

The starter of this thread believes that MB is calling Heitmann a "p*ssy" (his words, not mine in the other thread), which is silly.

Cheers.

What I initially said was that MB was POLITELY calling Heitmann a p***y, which can certainly be one interpretation.

And Maddog didn't say it was a "silly" interpretation, he said it was impossible to read it that way.

I'd say it's very possible to read it that way . . . if your opinion on Heitmann was predetermined.

Personally it could be read either way. I side with OM9er on this, but I can see how people could take it the way MD took it.

All I know is I hope that Baas can either beat him out for the job or that Heitmann grows a set. Either way we cannot hope to get anywhere with a Center that lets a man go COMPLETELY unblocked while standing there hands empty looking straight ahead.

I'm looking for footage of that Rocky Bernard hit on Smith 3 years ago right now cause apparently some people can't believe that Heitmann missed his own assignment. Even though he called it. Bernard went right by him untouched. And that should NEVER happen with a Center. Not even one as "underrated" as Heitmann supposedly is.

Oh and BTW this is a poll that shouldn't exist in the offseason when most people are outside taking advantage of the weather.

In any case I don't think that OM9er called him a wuss, I think that was what was read into what he was saying MB was meaning. I just don't believe the man is 1st tier material. Nothing wrong with that since he was a better Guard than he ever was a Center.

I'll post the hit if I can find it.

~Ceadder
Baas should get a chance at C
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

~Ceadder

My memory might not be what it used to be, but I had attributed the blown block more to Larry Allen's slow feet than to Heitmann.
I tell you that Adrian Peterson missed that one hole, in that one game, three years ago, and that one play, and only that one play, defines him today. You know, because players never, ever, ever make mistakes, are beaten, lose a battle, etc. All good players grade out at 100%, and those who do not grade out at 100% should be benched.

It doesn't matter that Peterson was the best in the game in 2008 and 2009, that one missed hole defines his entire career. Bench him immediately.

Dripping sarcasm included, gratis.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on May 30, 2010 at 6:52 PM ]
Following the logic of the poster of this thread, and the exact words of MB, I think I've figured it out. MB is schizophrenic.

MB #1 thinks that Heitmann is one of the most underrated centers in the league and thinks he could go to the Pro-Bowl if the Niners reach the playoff.

Although I wouldn't dream of questioning your knowledge of mental illnesses, the fact is we're focusing on MB's words, not his mental state.

MB did not say "Heitmann is a strong, quiet leader who is greatly underrated."

He called him "so unassuming" and then said that IF he ever started a fistfight, it would be such a surprise that it would make national news, and Heitmann might, THEN, make the pro bowl.

That's not very likely.

Nor is it overwhelming praise.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on May 30, 2010 at 7:00 PM ]
  • dmatt
  • Veteran

MB Chat Today:

Cheers.

I disagree. It is not one interpretation. It is clearly saying that the dude is good and if he was no a winning team he would go to the probowl.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
This poll should have been re-written:

Do you think MD will get pissed if we criticize Heitmann again?

x Yes, but only if he reads this thread after the first response.

x No, not until this thread generate 2 plus pages.

LOL!

MD... Don't you know, anyone that is quiet and unassuming is a p*ssy?? Bryant Young was unassuming so of course he was a p*ssy, Justin Smith is unassuming so he must be a p*ssy also.

On the other hand, if you are a loud mouth, show boating clown, then you are a tough, rugged man, and that makes you a good football player.

Originally posted by oldman9er:

~Ceadder

My memory might not be what it used to be, but I had attributed the blown block more to Larry Allen's slow feet than to Heitmann.

Allen was already occupied on a blocker. Heitmann was free and had nobody. In any case EH didn't attempt to lay a glove on him. Did Allen block the wrong guy? It's possible. But EH calls the protection schemes. I doubt that Allen would have taken the wrong guy if he was given a different protection assignment. So either EH is not as good as people say he is regarding Assignments. Or EH blew it big time. Or both.

Still looking for the evidence and I know it's out there.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by oldman9er:

~Ceadder

Allen was already occupied on a blocker. Heitmann was free and had nobody. In any case EH didn't attempt to lay a glove on him. Did Allen block the wrong guy? It's possible. But EH calls the protection schemes. I doubt that Allen would have taken the wrong guy if he was given a different protection assignment. So either EH is not as good as people say he is regarding Assignments. Or EH blew it big time. Or both.

Still looking for the evidence and I know it's out there.

~Ceadder

I'm not committed to blame either OL 100% until I see it again for myself. I just found this interesting...

Quote:
“Usually, when we run that blitz, the guard slams down on me and one of the linebackers goes free. But the guard, Larry Allen, actually looked over at the linebacker and let me go completely free,’’ Benard told Johnson.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2008/09/11/rocky-bernard-looks-back-on-fateful-sack-of-smith/
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Yea, I don't know how you read into what MB said as - Heitmann is a "p***y"

MB said - if Niners make the playoffs, Heitmann could certainly go to ProBowl. Or if he started a fight, the news will make it to ESPN and then he could go to ProBowl. Meaning - the national media and national fan base doesn't know a whole lot about his play or haven't heard his name much and if they did - he would make it to the ProBowl, as we all know it's more of a popularity contest.

Anything else will be like what Lowell Cohn did the other day

49ers Threaten move to LA
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

MD... Don't you know, anyone that is quiet and unassuming is a p*ssy?? Bryant Young was unassuming so of course he was a p*ssy, Justin Smith is unassuming so he must be a p*ssy also.

On the other hand, if you are a loud mouth, show boating clown, then you are a tough, rugged man, and that makes you a good football player.

But MB didn't just say Heitmann is simply unassuming. He said he is "so unassuming" meaning very unassuming.

When's the last time you saw Heitmann playing like a Bryant Young on offense? or a Justin Smith?

Just because someone's quiet doesn't automatically mean they're a good football player, anymore than being a showboat does, although, like you, I prefer those who let their play speak for them.

Ray Lewis is NOT unassuming, but he's a good player. Pat Willis seems relatively quiet, and he's a great football player. I'd take him over Lewis anyday--both for his play and for his style.

Not sure you could include Heitmann in a discussion of great centers, irrespective of his style. Doesn't mean I have any hatred for the guy, or a bias against him. To the contrary, I really hope he steps up, with or without the showboating.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

But MB didn't just say Heitmann is simply unassuming. He said he is "so unassuming" meaning very unassuming.

When's the last time you saw Heitmann playing like a Bryant Young on offense? or a Justin Smith?

Just because someone's quiet doesn't automatically mean they're a good football player, anymore than being a showboat does, although, like you, I prefer those who let their play speak for them.

Ray Lewis is NOT unassuming, but he's a good player. Pat Willis seems relatively quiet, and he's a great football player. I'd take him over Lewis anyday--both for his play and for his style.

Not sure you could include Heitmann in a discussion of great centers, irrespective of his style. Doesn't mean I have any hatred for the guy, or a bias against him. To the contrary, I really hope he steps up, with or without the showboating.

Barrows calls him one of the most underrated centers in the league! Your opinion is one thing but this is about the interpretation of what Barrows said. Barrows is calling the guy potentially a pro-bowl caliber center. Hard for me to see any other interpretation than Barrows thinks Heitman is a pretty damn good center.
Share 49ersWebzone