LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

All Respect For Lowell Cohn Is Lost (UPDATED)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Unfortunately, he is probably getting a ton of hits lately, while simultaneously upsetting fans. Those commenting on his blog along with reading the articles are probably making his editor drool. While it may not be a positive response, it is a response. The guy is probably on his way out, and attempting to go out with a splash

So right. I did email all of PDs editors though and told them I wouldn't be visiting their site as long as he is writing for them, and I've followed through so far. I haven't clicked on any of the PD articles in two days. Won't do s**t unless others follow suit tho.

I'm with you
  • SportinWood
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by miklo209:
[img=]

haha fail
Cohn: Either Smith improves or he becomes Carr

He's at it again!!!

Quote:
Alex Smith is heartbreakingly pleasant.

Why the adjective “heartbreakingly”? Because to know him is to root for him. Rarely has a more decent, normal professional athlete appeared in our midst. This is a make-or-break season for him and he answers all questions politely and cheerfully, even though the questions contain the not-so-hidden subtext, “You haven’t made it so far, and what makes you think you can make it now?”

He never takes offense when you subtly insinuate he may be a bust, and he never tells you to take a hike or spits in your eye — all justified reactions. He ignores the subtext, pretends it doesn’t exist. And he answers eagerly, earnestly, forthrightly. He wants to please you and he wants you to like him even though none of that matters. What matters are wins, pure and simple. If he wins, the 49ers will love him. If he loses, they will cast him off.

In case he forgets about the rock-bottom NFL reality, the 49ers have installed a living, breathing reality reminder on their team. The reality reminder is quarterback David Carr, himself a former first pick in the draft. Carr never will amount to anything more than a backup. It’s like the 49ers are telling Smith, “Get your act together. Be good, excel or you could be Carr, this man who plays second or third-banana to you. See him and learn. In literature you would call Carr Smith’s doppelganger.

Smith’s career teeters right now. He either will be a starter in the league after this season or he will be Carr. And that was the context of the questions I asked him Saturday after the morning practice. His answers were eager, earnest, forthright and heartbreakingly pleasant.

I asked if he sees himself as a game manager — the concept I believe the 49ers are pushing on him. It’s something like, “Just don’t lose the game, Alex. Don’t screw up.” In asking the question, I attached the adjective “mere” to game manager — a mere game manager — as if that is a lower order of quarterback. Is that what he is?

“No,” he (Alex Smith) said. “You look at any great quarterback and I think any great offense and this whole game manager thing, it’s not the quarterbacks. The quarterbacks that are in the Super Bowl, the quarterbacks that are in the Pro Bowl are not the quarterbacks that are doing the extraordinary things. They are the quarterbacks that are doing the ordinary things extraordinarily well.

“That sounds cliché, but they’re the ones going out there and they can throw dig routes and they can throw comebacks and they can throw out routes all day. You don’t see Drew Brees going out there and making crazy Michael Vick (type) plays, but you know he’s going to go out there and hit his targets, and same with Peyton Manning. It’s not always going to look great but they’re going to go out there and they’re going to do the ordinary things really, really well. And they’re going to be very consistent with that.

“That’s the role I take. I don’t take it as a game manager or anything like that, but we’re going to go out there and we’re going to be consistently good and we’re going to do all of the things, the detailed things, really well. That’s how you take it to the next level in my opinion.”

A long quote — a fascinating quote. Smith said he is not a game manager and then he defined a quarterback. I could be obtuse — I admit that — but I believe his definition is the essence of game manager. Don’t do the extraordinary things. Do the routine things, the basic and standard things efficiently, do them like clockwork and you will win. The big spectacular plays are beside the point.

Here again is Smith on how to be a quarterback:

“I think it’s going out there and making good decisions, throwing the ball accurately. I don’t think it’s going out there trying to do anything crazy, making big plays. It is going out there, seeing what the defense is giving you, making the decision, throwing the ball accurately and getting the ball out of your hands. I think that’s what good quarterbacks do. I think doing that, all of a sudden, you take it to the next level. You just go out there and do your job and all 11 guys do it and you’re doing it so fast and so well and you’ve done it so many times, you’re really that good then.”

I would remind Smith and you that a quarterback sometimes must do something extra. All hell is breaking loose on the field. The quarterback has to win the game right then and there. That’s why The Catch is so famous, because it seemed impossible at the time, because it took a football genius like Joe Montana to spot Dwight Clark and change NFL history forever, because that play was anything but routine. It was the extraordinary.

Coach Mike Singletary knows this extra quarterback dimension exists, at least he should. But he won’t impose that on Smith. Right now, it is too much for Smith and would overwhelm him. So Singletary and offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye tell him quarterbacks master the routine. They don’t call this game managing because the concept has negative implications, but that’s what they mean. And Smith agrees with them, has bought into this concept as a form of self-preservation.

And that leads to a final question. If Smith is a game manager who does not call himself a game manager, is he a good game manager? Ahh, that’s the issue. He wants to do the ordinary things extraordinarily well. So, let him complete the pass to the flat on third down to keep the drive going. If he can do this — and we don’t know if he can consistently — he will fulfill the basic requirement.

After he proves himself at that basic level, the 49ers can gently introduce him to Advanced Quarterbacking, a required course in the curriculum. At this moment, the Niners won’t tell him that course exists.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Cohn: Either Smith improves or he becomes Carr

He's at it again!!!

Quote:
Alex Smith is heartbreakingly pleasant.

Why the adjective “heartbreakingly”? Because to know him is to root for him. Rarely has a more decent, normal professional athlete appeared in our midst. This is a make-or-break season for him and he answers all questions politely and cheerfully, even though the questions contain the not-so-hidden subtext, “You haven’t made it so far, and what makes you think you can make it now?”

He never takes offense when you subtly insinuate he may be a bust, and he never tells you to take a hike or spits in your eye — all justified reactions. He ignores the subtext, pretends it doesn’t exist. And he answers eagerly, earnestly, forthrightly. He wants to please you and he wants you to like him even though none of that matters. What matters are wins, pure and simple. If he wins, the 49ers will love him. If he loses, they will cast him off.

In case he forgets about the rock-bottom NFL reality, the 49ers have installed a living, breathing reality reminder on their team. The reality reminder is quarterback David Carr, himself a former first pick in the draft. Carr never will amount to anything more than a backup. It’s like the 49ers are telling Smith, “Get your act together. Be good, excel or you could be Carr, this man who plays second or third-banana to you. See him and learn. In literature you would call Carr Smith’s doppelganger.

Smith’s career teeters right now. He either will be a starter in the league after this season or he will be Carr. And that was the context of the questions I asked him Saturday after the morning practice. His answers were eager, earnest, forthright and heartbreakingly pleasant.

I asked if he sees himself as a game manager — the concept I believe the 49ers are pushing on him. It’s something like, “Just don’t lose the game, Alex. Don’t screw up.” In asking the question, I attached the adjective “mere” to game manager — a mere game manager — as if that is a lower order of quarterback. Is that what he is?

“No,” he (Alex Smith) said. “You look at any great quarterback and I think any great offense and this whole game manager thing, it’s not the quarterbacks. The quarterbacks that are in the Super Bowl, the quarterbacks that are in the Pro Bowl are not the quarterbacks that are doing the extraordinary things. They are the quarterbacks that are doing the ordinary things extraordinarily well.

“That sounds cliché, but they’re the ones going out there and they can throw dig routes and they can throw comebacks and they can throw out routes all day. You don’t see Drew Brees going out there and making crazy Michael Vick (type) plays, but you know he’s going to go out there and hit his targets, and same with Peyton Manning. It’s not always going to look great but they’re going to go out there and they’re going to do the ordinary things really, really well. And they’re going to be very consistent with that.

“That’s the role I take. I don’t take it as a game manager or anything like that, but we’re going to go out there and we’re going to be consistently good and we’re going to do all of the things, the detailed things, really well. That’s how you take it to the next level in my opinion.”

A long quote — a fascinating quote. Smith said he is not a game manager and then he defined a quarterback. I could be obtuse — I admit that — but I believe his definition is the essence of game manager. Don’t do the extraordinary things. Do the routine things, the basic and standard things efficiently, do them like clockwork and you will win. The big spectacular plays are beside the point.

Here again is Smith on how to be a quarterback:

“I think it’s going out there and making good decisions, throwing the ball accurately. I don’t think it’s going out there trying to do anything crazy, making big plays. It is going out there, seeing what the defense is giving you, making the decision, throwing the ball accurately and getting the ball out of your hands. I think that’s what good quarterbacks do. I think doing that, all of a sudden, you take it to the next level. You just go out there and do your job and all 11 guys do it and you’re doing it so fast and so well and you’ve done it so many times, you’re really that good then.”

I would remind Smith and you that a quarterback sometimes must do something extra. All hell is breaking loose on the field. The quarterback has to win the game right then and there. That’s why The Catch is so famous, because it seemed impossible at the time, because it took a football genius like Joe Montana to spot Dwight Clark and change NFL history forever, because that play was anything but routine. It was the extraordinary.

Coach Mike Singletary knows this extra quarterback dimension exists, at least he should. But he won’t impose that on Smith. Right now, it is too much for Smith and would overwhelm him. So Singletary and offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye tell him quarterbacks master the routine. They don’t call this game managing because the concept has negative implications, but that’s what they mean. And Smith agrees with them, has bought into this concept as a form of self-preservation.

And that leads to a final question. If Smith is a game manager who does not call himself a game manager, is he a good game manager? Ahh, that’s the issue. He wants to do the ordinary things extraordinarily well. So, let him complete the pass to the flat on third down to keep the drive going. If he can do this — and we don’t know if he can consistently — he will fulfill the basic requirement.

After he proves himself at that basic level, the 49ers can gently introduce him to Advanced Quarterbacking, a required course in the curriculum. At this moment, the Niners won’t tell him that course exists.

lol Cohn acts like Michael Vick is a great QB because he makes exciting plays with his legs, and Peyton Manning doesn't pass to open guys because it's better if it looks cooler and he fits the ball inbetween 2 guys, and that Drew Brees makes an effort to not hit the open guy. What Smith said is pretty true, the question is whether he'll be able to do that or not. What Cohn said is retarded though, he makes it sound like Joe Montana or Steve Young(not that I'm comparing Smith to them, they're 2 of the greatest NFL players/QBs of all time) threw 40 yard passes all day just because they're great players. But a lot of what they did to be succesful was keeping drives alive. Yeah the catch was a flashy play, but that wasn't even that great of a throw, that's why it's called THE CATCH and not THE THROW, because Clark went up really high to grab that ball.

Whatever though, for the most part Cohn is a contrarian a*****e who likes to stir s**t up. Just like what he said that Jed will move the team to LA, and what Jed actually said is getting a NORCAL STADIUM is important SO THAT DOESN'T EVER HAPPEN. Then Cohn twisted it into how he's saying they'll move to LA which was a bunch of bulls**t. Now that Smith is looking pretty good he's trying to say "well even if he does good, if he's not shooting lightning bolts out of his ass, then he's David Carr junior!".
What is it with Cohn and Kawakami's obsession with David Carr? They're so used to a QB competition every year that they feel sorry for the backup not getting as many reps as the (once and for all) starter.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
What is it with Cohn and Kawakami's obsession with David Carr? They're so used to a QB competition every year that they feel sorry for the backup not getting as many reps as the (once and for all) starter.

Yeah I don't really get it. So far according to everyone Smith has looked good in TD and making a lot of long nice TD passes to Vern and some to Crabtree and Ginn and Morgan, and then they say "well he could be the next David Carr!!!!" I mean WTF?
Has Lowell Cohn EVER had a positive take? Serious question, I seem to remember him being the negative nancy back in the glory days.

Par for the course from Lowell, his job with the Press Democrat is to write inane articles with cooked up theories to generate hits. The definition of a "shock jock", except he's a (terrible) writer.
Bait, hook, line and sinker.

It's evident Cohn sucks. I'm sure him and his newspaper staff are fuming over this bad press.

This thread should just die. Lowell doesn't deserve an 8-page thread at the top of the most popular 49ers website.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
This man just took Smith's words and twisted them completely. It's easy to take something positive and put a negative spin on it. Smith's views on QBing are correct in my opinion. I know Smith was not trying to say "No QB should ever be flashy, but only a system guy who hits his targets consistently." He knows just like any other QB that when the play breaks down, he has to make a great play. Obviously once in a while a great play is expected of him. All he was trying to say was that a QB who can make all the throws accurately is better than a Mike Vick type player who can only make a big play once in a while and cannot throw the ball.
It was lost a long time ago.

-9fA

EXCUSE ME!

I said EXCUSE ME.

Now that I have everyone's attention...

Lowell Cohn is RIGHT on the money. You guys really need to get over yourselves. Cohn has nailed it AGAIN. He's right on EVERY single SOLID point.

For those of you who continue to pray over Alex Smith's jockstrap -- I have a little message for you:

SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS.

Alex Smith has had FIVE years he was worth the number one pick. He hasn't done it yet. He hasn't come close to doing it. And I highly doubt he'll do it this year. Why do I assume this? See: the previous five seasons.

I get SICK and TIRED of whiney Niner fans who complain about this reporter or that reporter who refuses to drink the koolaid coming from the Jed York Corporation. Gimme a break. I want solid reporting. I want objective reporting. I don't want some Michael Silver brown noser of a piece on Smith's "potential."

Two thumbs up for Cohn. He tells it like it is. So does Kawakami. I wish we had more of them. Maiocco was on his way to joining these ranks until he jumped ship and now suks Niner d*ck for Comcast. He's reduced himself to cheerleader status.

Sad.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
EXCUSE ME!

I said EXCUSE ME.

Lowell Cohn is RIGHT on the money. You guys really need to get over yourselves. Cohn has nailed it AGAIN. He's right on EVERY single SOLID point.

For those of you who continue to pray over Alex Smith's jockstrap -- I have a little message for you:

Alex Smith has had FIVE years he was worth the number one pick. He hasn't done it yet. He hasn't come close to doing it. And I highly doubt he'll do it this year. Why do I assume this? See: the previous five seasons.

I get SICK and TIRED of whiney Niner fans who complain about this reporter or that reporter who refuses to drink the koolaid coming from the Jed York Corporation. Gimme a break. I want solid reporting. I want objective reporting. I don't want some Michael Silver brown noser of a piece on Smith's "potential."

Two thumbs up for Cohn. He tells it like it is. So does Kawakami. I wish we had more of them. Maiocco was on his way to joining these ranks until he jumped ship and now suks Niner d*ck for Comcast. He's reduced himself to cheerleader status.

Sad.

that last article on alex smith was sooo bad. I agree that alex hasnt proven anything, and i am hopeful, yet skeptical. However, jumping all over him because he said great quarterbacks take what the defense gives them is a huge reach. Smith was dead on with that quote. Guys like brady, manning and brees will take the 6 yard pass all day if thats all the defense gives them.

Not really. A game manager is a QB who doesn't screw up. He is not necessarily a guy doing things "really well." If we agreed with Cohn's definition of a game manager, then every WCO QB, including Montana and Young, is a game manager, as the WCO philosophy is ball control using the passing game.
EXCUSE ME!

I said EXCUSE ME.

Sad.

Bill, I do not think that I could disagree with you any more.
He has always been awful. I suppose the reason we read his stuff is similar to the reason we look at bad car accidents.
Share 49ersWebzone