LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 303 users in the forums

All Respect For Lowell Cohn Is Lost (UPDATED)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by bjghum:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
"What's at stake is making sure the 49ers have a permanent home in the Bay Area for the next 40 or 50 years," York said this week in an exclusive interview with Comcast SportsNet.

A little vauge? Sure. Does he mention LA? No. Where the hell else would they go?
Milpitas? LOL. The card is clearly being played.

Um, no it's not. Jesus dude. They need a stadium. A lot is at stake. Where does he say the word "move" in that sentence?

You guys crack me up. Keep your heads in the sand. Fine with me.

Sure dude. Convince yourself the Niners are going to move... when no one has reported anything substantial concerning moving to another city. If the Santa Clara stadium fails, then come back and we'll talk. Until then, you and everyone else are reaching with this LA thing. It's complete speculation at this point and you know it.
"What's at stake is making sure the 49ers have a permanent home in the Bay Area for the next 40 or 50 years," York said this week in an exclusive interview with Comcast SportsNet.

A little vauge? Sure. Does he mention LA? No. Where the hell else would they go?

Um, no it's not. Jesus dude. They need a stadium. A lot is at stake. Where does he say the word "move" in that sentence?

Sure dude. Convince yourself the Niners are going to move... when no one has reported anything substantial concerning moving to another city. If the Santa Clara stadium fails, then come back and we'll talk. Until then, you and everyone else are reaching with this LA thing. It's complete speculation at this point and you know it.

Trust me dude. I really hope the thing gets through.

Its a scary thought to think that if it doesn't, LA could come into play faster than most want to believe. I haven't convinced myself of anything. I seem to just be one of the few that do realize that nothing is sacred these days. And if it can happen to the Rams, Colts, Browns, and Raiders. It could happen to us as well.
  • KasparHauser
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by NinerGM:

"If Clausen is available, the 49ers will take him with their 1st pick!"

ROFL
It is clear from Matt's interview that Jed was threatening to move the team. It was not subtle, and it was a threat. Now Matt is saying that he, or the Yorks, won't be able to pull it off, but that is different than saying they didn't say it. Cohn was right to call Jed out, and maybe he took the threat seriously, but I don't like a York trying to bully the voters/fans either. Just say'n, don't kill the messenger.
[ Edited by KasparHauser on May 31, 2010 at 10:20 PM ]
The only reporter to sensationalize Jed York's comments about Los Angeles.

LINK.

Thanks Lowell, but you can now join Timmy K over in the corner where we ignore bad sports reporting.

Thanks for coming dude. You won't be missed.

(UPDATE: Look! Timmy's doing it too!)

agreed.

yea, york really never says anything in regards to LA. there isn't much to even mis-interpret here. i dont understand why that article was written, other than to ruffle feathers and get publicity.
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:

LINK.

Thanks Lowell, but you can now join Timmy K over in the corner where we ignore bad sports reporting.

agreed.

Funny. All of the sudden Al's sandwich boy has credibility with 9er fans.

Damn that mean ol' Tim Kawakami!! He's just out to ruin all that is great in BA sports!

Its a scary thought to think that if it doesn't, LA could come into play faster than most want to believe. I haven't convinced myself of anything. I seem to just be one of the few that do realize that nothing is sacred these days. And if it can happen to the Rams, Colts, Browns, and Raiders. It could happen to us as well.

look at all 4 of those team's history and compare it to ours..what's the difference? Winning. This team is the easily one of the top 3 franchises in NFL history you don't move a team with this big of legacy. Move the jaguars or some other team with no legacy down there.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

look at all 4 of those team's history and compare it to ours..what's the difference? Winning. This team is the easily one of the top 3 franchises in NFL history you don't move a team with this big of legacy. Move the jaguars or some other team with no legacy down there.

The Raiders won their share of superbowls and were a huge part of the BA.

The other teams had deep roots as well.

Look, I really hope this thing passes and we get our stadium.

Until I see York out there w/the golden shovel, I'm a little skeptical and nervous
about the whole thing.
Originally posted by KasparHauser:
Originally posted by NinerGM:

"If Clausen is available, the 49ers will take him with their 1st pick!"

ROFL
It is clear from Matt's interview that Jed was threatening to move the team. It was not subtle, and it was a threat. Now Matt is saying that he, or the Yorks, won't be able to pull it off, but that is different than saying they didn't say it. Cohn was right to call Jed out, and maybe he took the threat seriously, but I don't like a York trying to bully the voters/fans either. Just say'n, don't kill the messenger.

Uhhh it is not only not clear, but disturbing that anyone got that from that interview
[ Edited by WINiner on Jun 1, 2010 at 12:04 PM ]
The threat to move to LA will always be there until the York's break ground in the bay area. I think we all are aware of this fact. It's the sensationalizing by Cohn and Kawakami with their obvious axes to grind that insults our intelligence and begs us to ask the question, what are these guys’ beefs?

Has either one ever written a positive story about the 49ers? Barrows and Maiocco are at least neutral and don't spin the story.

Tim and Cohn continue to say they’re there for the fans and refuse to give ownership a free pass but at the same time they insult us by insinuating that we are too stupid to see the true evil that is the York’s. Either they are huge disgruntled fans or they just don’t like the 49ers and/or football in general, as they do not share the same fervor in the other sports en, which they cover.

Best thing to do is simply take their comments with a grain of salt or ignore them all together.

People actually had respect for Lowell Cohn? He's in a tie for worst sportswriter in the Bay Area with Kawakami.

I think I may have gotten dumber from reading some of the posts in this thread. Jed York threatening? Hardly. Talk about twisting words.
Originally posted by bigwads:
It's hard to lose respect for a guy who never had any.

Someone must have spiked his Metamucil.

LINK.

agreed.

Damn that mean ol' Tim Kawakami!! He's just out to ruin all that is great in BA sports!

The Al Davis-Kawakami debacle is it's own thing. Timmy just has a history of reporting speculation and trying to pass it off as fact. Some examples off the top of my head are...

• When the Lance Briggs fiasco hit, Timmy claimed a source of his had access to the emails that incriminated the 49ers in tampering. He also said he knew what was in the emails and who made the phone calls that further incriminated the 49ers. He also made the claim that the emails showed discord in the 49ers' front ofice. However, he has never explained the details behind any of this... ever. He just hid behind his "sources" and never actually did any journalism to get to the bottom of the situation. (LINK)

• Timmy's obsession with the 49ers and Jimmy Clausen, which was indisputably 100% bulls**t. (LINK)

Timmy's "trigger man" obsession, speculating on and on about a power struggle between Nolan and Scotty, when there never was evidence of anything of the sort. (LINK)

LINK.

agreed.

The Al Davis-Kawakami debacle is it's own thing. Timmy just has a history of reporting speculation and trying to pass it off as fact. Some examples off the top of my head are...

• When the Lance Briggs fiasco hit, Timmy claimed a source of his had access to the emails that incriminated the 49ers in tampering. He also said he knew what was in the emails and who made the phone calls that further incriminated the 49ers. He also made the claim that the emails showed discord in the 49ers' front ofice. However, he has never explained the details behind any of this... ever. He just hid behind his "sources" and never actually did any journalism to get to the bottom of the situation. (LINK)

• Timmy's obsession with the 49ers and Jimmy Clausen, which was indisputably 100% bulls**t. (LINK)

Timmy's "trigger man" obsession, speculating on and on about a power struggle between Nolan and Scotty, when there never was evidence of anything of the sort. (LINK)

Well, we did get busted for tampering. And from what I've read most teams do it all the time. Our org was just dumb enough to leave a paper trail a mile long.

Timmy loves Jimmy. What can I say?

When asked if Scotty thought we'd go after Martz for the off cor job he said no and that he didn't think Martz fit into what we did on offense. Only to watch Nolan hire him a couple months later to "save his job". Sounds like everyone was on the same page for that hire yeah? Harmony in the front office!

Yes, our flow chart is the model for every NFL team! Paraag, Jed, and some guy from the island of Mipos. No real GM. But hey, everything is fine! We're guaranteed a playoff birth this year. Oops I think it was last year. Who knows.

Little Timmy and Lowell are not the problem. You'd have to agree that over the last 7 yrs our org has been a pretty easy traget.

LINK.

agreed.

Well, we did get busted for tampering. And from what I've read most teams do it all the time. Our org was just dumb enough to leave a paper trail a mile long.

Timmy loves Jimmy. What can I say?

When asked if Scotty thought we'd go after Martz for the off cor job he said no and that he didn't think Martz fit into what we did on offense. Only to watch Nolan hire him a couple months later to "save his job". Sounds like everyone was on the same page for that hire yeah? Harmony in the front office!

Yes, our flow chart is the model for every NFL team! Paraag, Jed, and some guy from the island of Mipos. No real GM. But hey, everything is fine! We're guaranteed a playoff birth this year. Oops I think it was last year. Who knows.

Little Timmy and Lowell are not the problem. You'd have to agree that over the last 7 yrs our org has been a pretty easy traget.

Dude, you are missing the point. The argument is GOOD journalism vs. BAD journalism.

"Reporters" like Timmy, Lowell, and Mike Florio are getting by now just crediting rumors to unnamed sources. It's a crock... and one day when a significant story like that gets big enough, someone is going to call them out and hit them with a cease and desist. Just last week it happened to TerezOwens.com concerning the story about LeBron James' mom and Delonte West.

If one reports things that no one else does, then that person should actually do some journalism and not just make claims, otherwise their reports are baseless.

So when Timmy says he has a source that knows of emails regarding Lance Briggs, then he should actually follow up and call the front office or the NFL in New York to seek comment. That's journalism. He might not like the answers he gets, but that's how journalism works.

If a source says "the 49ers will not pass on Jimmy Clausen," then you better actually try to make an effort and make a call to Clausen's agent to see if there is any validity to said rumor. Or research where Clausen has visited. Or call up the 49ers' front office. This helps you get an idea if the source is correct.

Or if there is a hiring of someone like Mike Martz that seems to go against the grain of the original direction of the franchise, then call up and try to get an interview or comment from the head coach or GM. Scott could have been just using some misdirection as to not give away the intentions of him and Nolan regarding the OC hire. Otherwise, all you are doing is speculating and your reporting is baseless. That is the issue here.

So when someone like Mike Florio goes on his site and says "a source" reported that Steve Smith said "Jimmy Clausen is a punk," I can't help but shrug my shoulders. You can't just report things and not follow up on them. Steve Smith vehemently denied it, no one else has reported that information, and Clausen was surprised more than anyone. In what context did Smith say this thing? Did he say it during practice? Under his breath? To a teammate? No one knows, and Florio doesn't care because all he wants is hits on his site.

That's the problem with writers like Lowell, Timmy, and Mike Florio. The internet has allowed them to hide behind unnamed sources, so they are at liberty to make up anything they want until they get a cease and desist.

And if you get enough things purely wrong, you lose your credibility. That's how we are where we are now with Tim, Lowell, and Florio.
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Jun 1, 2010 at 10:35 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone