There are 49 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

All Respect For Lowell Cohn Is Lost (UPDATED)

Originally posted by Lifer:
Here's the real story from the guy who actually did the interview that Cohn has chosen to twist:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/05/29/10/Maiocco-49ers-of-LA-No-Way/landing.html?full_args=05/29/10/Maiocco-49ers-of-LA-No-Way/landing&blockID=243731&feedID=5936

What does Matt say?

"Niners president and CEO Jed York never said "L.A." or "Los Angeles" when I interviewed him this week. I said it for him. And he answered. He said the 49ers have not discussed a move out of the Bay Area. But, he noted, the best way for the 49ers to be guaranteed a permanent home here is to win the ballot measure in Santa Clara on June 8."

Cohn has chosen to take that very measured statement and twist it into the basis for a rant. Look, we already know where Cohn stands. He's made it abundantly clear that he wants a 49er stadium in San Francisco. You know what? So do I. But that ship sailed a long time ago. San Francisco blew it. Mayor Willie Brown did everything in his power to get a stadium deal done in SF, but the city council and the special interest groups shot him down.

As the Santa Clara deal gets closer to becoming a reality, voices in San Francisco are becoming more strident. SF's posture up 'til now has been "Don't worry. They'll be back." Now people like Cohn realize that the 49ers really do have other options... and they're freaking out. By labeling the Yorks as "low level thugs," and twisting a neutral statement into "bullying" and "threats," Cohn is trying to shift the blame away from where it belongs: the city of San Francisco and the political leaders who gave nothing but cold comfort to a team that brought them five championships.

this is very well said!! great post
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by bjghum:
"What's at stake is making sure the 49ers have a permanent home in the Bay Area for the next 40 or 50 years," York said this week in an exclusive interview with Comcast SportsNet.

A little vauge? Sure. Does he mention LA? No. Where the hell else would they go?
Milpitas? LOL. The card is clearly being played.

Um, no it's not. Jesus dude. They need a stadium. A lot is at stake. Where does he say the word "move" in that sentence?

You guys crack me up. Keep your heads in the sand. Fine with me.
"What's at stake is making sure the 49ers have a permanent home in the Bay Area for the next 40 or 50 years," York said this week in an exclusive interview with Comcast SportsNet.

A little vauge? Sure. Does he mention LA? No. Where the hell else would they go?

Um, no it's not. Jesus dude. They need a stadium. A lot is at stake. Where does he say the word "move" in that sentence?

Sure dude. Convince yourself the Niners are going to move... when no one has reported anything substantial concerning moving to another city. If the Santa Clara stadium fails, then come back and we'll talk. Until then, you and everyone else are reaching with this LA thing. It's complete speculation at this point and you know it.

Sure dude. Convince yourself the Niners are going to move... when no one has reported anything substantial concerning moving to another city. If the Santa Clara stadium fails, then come back and we'll talk. Until then, you and everyone else are reaching with this LA thing. It's complete speculation at this point and you know it.

Trust me dude. I really hope the thing gets through.

Its a scary thought to think that if it doesn't, LA could come into play faster than most want to believe. I haven't convinced myself of anything. I seem to just be one of the few that do realize that nothing is sacred these days. And if it can happen to the Rams, Colts, Browns, and Raiders. It could happen to us as well.

"If Clausen is available, the 49ers will take him with their 1st pick!"

ROFL
  • KasparHauser
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by NinerGM:

ROFL
It is clear from Matt's interview that Jed was threatening to move the team. It was not subtle, and it was a threat. Now Matt is saying that he, or the Yorks, won't be able to pull it off, but that is different than saying they didn't say it. Cohn was right to call Jed out, and maybe he took the threat seriously, but I don't like a York trying to bully the voters/fans either. Just say'n, don't kill the messenger.
[ Edited by KasparHauser on May 31, 2010 at 10:20 PM ]
The only reporter to sensationalize Jed York's comments about Los Angeles.

LINK.

Thanks Lowell, but you can now join Timmy K over in the corner where we ignore bad sports reporting.

Thanks for coming dude. You won't be missed.

(UPDATE: Look! Timmy's doing it too!)

agreed.

yea, york really never says anything in regards to LA. there isn't much to even mis-interpret here. i dont understand why that article was written, other than to ruffle feathers and get publicity.
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
The only reporter to sensationalize Jed York's comments about Los Angeles.

LINK.

Thanks Lowell, but you can now join Timmy K over in the corner where we ignore bad sports reporting.

Thanks for coming dude. You won't be missed.

(UPDATE: Look! Timmy's doing it too!)

agreed.

Funny. All of the sudden Al's sandwich boy has credibility with 9er fans.

Damn that mean ol' Tim Kawakami!! He's just out to ruin all that is great in BA sports!

Its a scary thought to think that if it doesn't, LA could come into play faster than most want to believe. I haven't convinced myself of anything. I seem to just be one of the few that do realize that nothing is sacred these days. And if it can happen to the Rams, Colts, Browns, and Raiders. It could happen to us as well.

look at all 4 of those team's history and compare it to ours..what's the difference? Winning. This team is the easily one of the top 3 franchises in NFL history you don't move a team with this big of legacy. Move the jaguars or some other team with no legacy down there.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

look at all 4 of those team's history and compare it to ours..what's the difference? Winning. This team is the easily one of the top 3 franchises in NFL history you don't move a team with this big of legacy. Move the jaguars or some other team with no legacy down there.

The Raiders won their share of superbowls and were a huge part of the BA.

The other teams had deep roots as well.

Look, I really hope this thing passes and we get our stadium.

Until I see York out there w/the golden shovel, I'm a little skeptical and nervous
about the whole thing.
Originally posted by KasparHauser:

ROFL
It is clear from Matt's interview that Jed was threatening to move the team. It was not subtle, and it was a threat. Now Matt is saying that he, or the Yorks, won't be able to pull it off, but that is different than saying they didn't say it. Cohn was right to call Jed out, and maybe he took the threat seriously, but I don't like a York trying to bully the voters/fans either. Just say'n, don't kill the messenger.

Uhhh it is not only not clear, but disturbing that anyone got that from that interview
[ Edited by WINiner on Jun 1, 2010 at 12:04 PM ]
The threat to move to LA will always be there until the York's break ground in the bay area. I think we all are aware of this fact. It's the sensationalizing by Cohn and Kawakami with their obvious axes to grind that insults our intelligence and begs us to ask the question, what are these guys’ beefs?

Has either one ever written a positive story about the 49ers? Barrows and Maiocco are at least neutral and don't spin the story.

Tim and Cohn continue to say they’re there for the fans and refuse to give ownership a free pass but at the same time they insult us by insinuating that we are too stupid to see the true evil that is the York’s. Either they are huge disgruntled fans or they just don’t like the 49ers and/or football in general, as they do not share the same fervor in the other sports en, which they cover.

Best thing to do is simply take their comments with a grain of salt or ignore them all together.
People actually had respect for Lowell Cohn? He's in a tie for worst sportswriter in the Bay Area with Kawakami.

I think I may have gotten dumber from reading some of the posts in this thread. Jed York threatening? Hardly. Talk about twisting words.
Originally posted by KasparHauser:

ROFL

It's clear from Matt's interview even though Matt says himself HE said LA? Furthermore it's a threat that a LOT of teams can move to LA right? Not just the 49ers. Until I hear the Yorks say - "we could possibly move the team ..." all is speculation.