There are 148 users in the forums

Where is our biggest weakness on this team at this point?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Roman, M. Lewis and Soap are our biggest weakness on this team at this point!

Roman is gone and Soap is a beast?
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Until proven otherwise by play during the regular season, it's failure to execute, and to some extent it affected every player on the team last year. Skill, physicality, and talent on the part of any player means nothing if the team fails to execute as much as it did last season. Get everyone executing consistently, enabling them all to play at their limits, and then we can discuss particular players and positions.

Offensively, I agree. I think it's a direct result of having a different OC every year. With the offense in it's second year in Raye's system, I think we'll them take a big step forward.

It's exciting because even if we had an average (production-wise) offense, we'd be very dangerous. Our defense always keeps us in games. Now we just need the other half of the team to start pulling their weight. Plus, with a seeming improved special teams unit, we should see an improvement in our starting field position.
When you bolt on two draftees onto a poor line, you can't expect instant transformation. We should have started the line rebuild 2 years ago.

So the weakness is still likely to be the line. The difference, hopefully, will be that it will be Improving over time.
Until we get some play from the QB position that causes defenses to deviate from their gameplan during a game, I think that's our weakness. That being said, QB play is affected by OL play and OC.
[ Edited by nazniner on May 30, 2010 at 9:24 AM ]
QB & CB . . . but that can change this season
  • TFSP
If you look at the CB play, it wasn't as bad as many of you talk of. You can't ask a CB to cover a WR for more than 5 secs, in terms of being on the WR's hip. Now if you really look at the amount of times our pass rush was just a second to late with a sack or how many Qb's got away with throwing the ball away, instead of being sacked, we lead the league in that last year.

Name me a team that doesn't have a weakness. s**t, even New Orleans has a high risk high reward offense. They can't develop a 3 yards and a "cloud of dust" drive to maintain a lead at the end of games. They only know how to quick strike, which is a high risk high reward style of play.

No teams are perfect, great teams do get lucky...

I think we as fans are anxious as f**k for the season to start. Half of us are going to take what we got and be optimistic, and the other half is going to complain as usual on what we need or are not doing.

So with that said.....

MAYBE our biggest weakness is our complete fan support thinking the same(with our spoiled asses). On the real, this year you 'muthafuking' fans better be on your feet this year at the games, yelling like a bunch of Aztecs, Caveman, and Zulu Warriors and stop being wine drinking and cheese eating fans(whoa tangent here). If you don't lose your voice after every game, F U !!
After looking at a video of Clements in another thread, how can CB be an issue for us? Our top two CB's are SOLID!

Now if we are saying CB because most teams will trot out three WR's, I think we have enough talent at the position to compete. I think if we fix the pass rush we fix the issues in the secondary! Safety was an issue last year, maybe the biggest issue in pass coverage, and many believe Mays will be the answer to that.

So we will see...
Originally posted by JohnnyMo49:
QB & CB . . . but that can change this season

I agree. Both Alex Smith and Nate Clements need to play a LOT better or they'll be looking for jobs elsewhere next season.

IF...there is a next season.
  • carl
  • Veteran
Niner Talk
QB

Originally posted by English:
When you bolt on two draftees onto a poor line, you can't expect instant transformation. We should have started the line rebuild 2 years ago.

So the weakness is still likely to be the line. The difference, hopefully, will be that it will be Improving over time.

Excellent point.
Since we haven't played any games yet all we have to gone on is last years performance and some insight to the new team members.

I think they are more question marks than weaknesses. I feel the return game, punts & KO will be much better - hard to be worse.

I feel the OLine will be better - how much remains to be seen. I feel they'll be improved due to running the same system 2 years in a row and upgrading of personell. The running game will be better due to better Oline play.

The overall Defense will be better due to less 3 & Outs. They'll be more rested and able to perfrom better.

I still question the pass rush but am optimistic. If the pass rush improves than the secondary will be better.

If the pass rush doesn't improve than I feel our secondary will be a weak link.
  • Nyner
OC
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

I didn't know that roman is gone! I am glad that A.Battle is gone too! Soap was a beast in the preseason schedule. But I think, Soap scared to get an injured that he didnt have a beast in the open season. He didn't show a beasts and nothing to help for us a win!
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

I didn't know that roman is gone! I am glad that A.Battle is gone too! Soap was a beast in the preseason schedule. But I think, Soap scared to get an injured that he didnt have a beast in the open season. He didn't show a beasts and nothing to help for us a win!

YOU SAID IT!
Share 49ersWebzone