LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 352 users in the forums

We're a Second 'Tier' Team According to Pat Kirwan!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erfoeva:
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
I don't get how Kolb and the Eagles are a Tier 3 team but Alex Smith and the 9ers are poised to make a superbowl run

How is atlanta a 3rd tier team? Or Houstan a 4th tier? I think both of those teams are under-ranked.

Falcons and Texans (both) have tons of holes in their depth (despite having talented starters), and for the holes they have they both play in very competitive divisions (Texans literally play in the AFC 'hybrid' of the NFC East).

Also, the Falcons didn't prove much last year. They may have pushed a 'fluke' blowout over us, but they weren't near playoff form (Ryan had a huge sophomore slump, Michael Turner couldn't carry the load, and their pass-rush was suspect). Falcons lost a lot of games they should have won due to overlooking their opponent/game-plan (and almost lost to teams they should have blown out).
Realistically the Niners were a play or two away from making the playoff's last year. Niners went 5-1 in the Division, and had close losses to Indy, GB, Minn,Texans, and the Seahawks.

The largest losses came from the Eagles and the blowout at home against the Falcons and still they finished 8-8. No way the Niners aren't a playoff team this year.

I would not be surprised if they got as far as the NFC Championship. Anything can happen and its all good..........
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by TexasNiner84:
Originally posted by teeohh:
we need to whoop ass on some playoff teams

madden curse begins on monday night when we play the Saints

this

teeohh, this quote f**ks hard.

we will show Brees pain.

I was looking for a post to say this, but I believe that MNF home opener will be THE turning point in the eyes of the NFL and its fans. This team plays on a whole different plane on Monday nights especially over the last three years. The squad that seems to elevate its play to a "championship" level is the defense.

Singletary's and Manusky's defense simply suffocate opponents at our house on Monday nights especially last year against AZ. I expect this game against the World Champion Saints to be no different. This is exactly what our team wants: an opportunity to showcase its talent and tell the world, they're back!

Like Teambythebay said, BS!!! This team has to prove it, plain and simple. Each week they have to get better and dominate when it should. Alex. the real key to our success, has to win a couple of games with his arm in order for he to rise from the "bust" misnomer. That MNF game will be Alex's coming out party, too. He will be compared to Brees during that game and it will be a catalyst to Alex's career.

Given our level of play in previous MNF games, I believe we can kick the World Champions' asses in front of everyone. That game maybe the hottest ticket since the Playoffs in 2002. I can't wait!!!

But that is just the start. We got to get through the mid season where generally we f**k up. We get into the playoff and make some noise, then maybe, we can truly be considered a top tier team.

Until then, we are still "wannabes" as an 8-8 team. Like Singelary said, "we are an offseason away..."

Man! I hope he's right!

Go 49ers!

I agree with except for wannabes. Niners are better than 8-8, especially after the draft.

Going back to Lambeau Field will be another test Alex/Niners/Coaches will have to pass....... It won't be a cake walk in December, but I believe they will get it done.
[ Edited by kemp_j on May 27, 2010 at 11:56 AM ]
I would have the niners as a tier 3 or 4. There were several teams one or two plays away from the playoffs. I don't see much separation between the jets, niners and the rest of the listed tier 3 and 4 teams.
Who cares? Respect is earned and the Niners need to perform to their potential and make the playoffs. If the Niners take the division or get a wild card spot, then all the media types will have to give them props. Until then, the Niners could use this kind of stuff as billboard material for motivation.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Who cares? Respect is earned and the Niners need to perform to their potential and make the playoffs. If the Niners take the division or get a wild card spot, then all the media types will have to give them props. Until then, the Niners could use this kind of stuff as billboard material for motivation.

Exactly. Pretty words and worthless compliments mean nothing. Go out there and punch somebody in the mouth and make them take notice.
How many tiers are there, if there is 32 then we are great! if there only two not so good!, I kinda see three tiers in the NFL, so yea middle of the pack, with this coaching and ownership combo.... not bad about right. We don;t run with big boys till Jed and Sing learn their jobs.
2nd Tier Team? 5 of our 8 wins were vs the worst division in sports (arguably) I love the Niners but I dont like all this hype we're getting now, look what happens to san DIego every year, they're always favpred to compete in a Superbowl, and then they choke. Hype is not good, unless we're a consistent winner like the Peyton Manning era Colts who can prove that they deserve the hype.
pat kirwan can second tier deez nuts!!! we lost most of our games by less than a TD and had the vikings and colts beat and lost on one lucky play to each of them. our team just being wiser from last year should be enough to win 10 games but we made huge talent upgrades in positions of need and finally have some much needed continuity on offense so our QB and receivers can actually get some timing down. lets see what this c**t thinks after mid season
Share 49ersWebzone