LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

Special on 49ers 1989 Season is on NFLN

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Haha, Matt "I've never seen a receiver I didn't wanna draft" Millen was one of our linebackers?

One of the best linebackers of the 80s. It's a shame kids today only know him as a GM instead of the great player that he was.
  • DangerRyan
  • Info N/A
I love America's game and have watched all the Niners episodes.

Being a Seahawks fan I envy the time when my team carries itself with so much swagger and can elevate their play for how big of game they are playing in.

I can't wait for opening day to see you guys up here in Seattle.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I really wish I had been old enough to see Montana with the 9ers. It seems like he bled clutchness.

Look at the bright side. Being a young guy at least you got to live to see Alex Smith play. Think of all the poor souls that will never experience that joy!

That might end up being more true than you imagine!
Originally posted by TDTomAndo:
Haha, Matt "I've never seen a receiver I didn't wanna draft" Millen was one of our linebackers?

One of the best linebackers of the 80s. It's a shame kids today only know him as a GM instead of the great player that he was.

I believe he also played for the Raiders.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

Yeah he did. After two Super Bowl wins with OAK, he won one with us and then one with Washington in 1991.
This may be the greatest team in NFL history, course you could say the same for the '84 Niners too.
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
This may be the greatest team in NFL history, course you could say the same for the '84 Niners too.

Randy Cross certainly thinks the 84 team is up there.

Shameless plug for my own article Randy Cross q&a
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I really wish I had been old enough to see Montana with the 9ers. It seems like he bled clutchness.

Look at the bright side. Being a young guy at least you got to live to see Alex Smith play. Think of all the poor souls that will never experience that joy!

You're right, they're gonna feel like the poor souls who were too young to bask in the glory of Steve Spurrier.

Randy Cross certainly thinks the 84 team is up there.

Shameless plug for my own article Randy Cross q&a

He's right. I mean we shut out Dan Marino in the 2nd half of a Super Bowl, that defense may be the greatest of all-time as well, course the '89 49er offense is the greatest of all-time 55 points in the SB against the #1 defense in the League that year stat wize. Case in point either one put em as the #1 all-time team and I'll have no problem wit it.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

went to every home game that year

Lucky Bugger-had to watch all the games on tv and not even high def yet. Hmm I wonder if the DVD's of those years are on high def yet, anyone know? Maybe even in three-d to witness the catch hahaha

When it came to the middle linebacker-walsh liked the veterans presense-first it was the Rams Hacksaw Renolds, then it was Matt Millen.

84 Niners were better imo, they were one bad call away from being 19-0 that year.

Yes, he was a Raider, he was drafted out of Penn State-linebacker U, but played DL and was converted, came out on passing downs, just like hacksaw reynolds did.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

84 Niners were better imo, they were one bad call away from being 19-0 that year.

Hell you could also say they were one bad call from the first team to 3-peat when they called a phantom pass inteference againts the skins in the NFC Champ game. Damn ref!

Yeah he did. After two Super Bowl wins with OAK, he won one with us and then one with Washington in 1991.

Hmm, maybe we should dress him up at linebacker.
Share 49ersWebzone