LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

Willis top for LB's and Goldson ranked among the 12 worst in missed tackles.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by natrone06:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Goldson is developing into a star. Similarly to Vernon Davis who drops a pass or two Goldson has other very strong attributes(range, ball skills, and hard hits) that outweigh a pretty obvious negative fundamental, tackling. Hes gotten better ever year and I can only see injuries as to why that wouldn't continue.

developing into a star? based on what?

lol and "VD drops a pass or two" is more like VD leads the NFL in drops every single season, and commits more penalties than any non OL offensive player in football.

Based on watching him play in 16 games last season.....

based on things written about him...
Mays and Dashon Goldson have the potential to give the 49ers one of the more athletic safety tandems around. Goldson played well for the 49ers last season in his first year as a starter. -Sando

There was a lot written last week about the big financial decisions the 49ers likely will have to make in the next year. Young, rising stars like Vernon Davis and Dashon Goldson- Barrows

The 49ers are very excited about Goldson, who took a desired step forward last year in his first season. He is exactly what they want at the position - a rangy ball hawk who is not shy about thumping ball carriers- Barrows

based on coaches commentary
Mike Singletary pointed to the development of two players - safety Dashon Goldson and outside linebacker Ahmad Brooks. Singletary said in the beginning of the year that Goldson, a first-year safety, was honing in on the receivers. Now he is watching both the receivers and the quarterback. "I think Dashon has really matured and gained more confidence as he's gotten more comfortable back there," Singletary said. Indeed, Goldson's development has to be viewed as one of the more positive developments in 2009.

and based on stats.
Dashon Goldson 94 tackles 2 sacks 4int and 3 ff
Antrell Rolle 72 tackles 1.5 sacks 4int and 1 ff =Highest paid safety at 7.5 mil per year

Next Question?

dude that video was like 4 plays that werent from the big MNF game.

what is written about him is just more opinions, and what sing says is biased. you think hes going to say "dashon misses too many tackles and cant cover". of course not. its all canned responses about how much "potential" he has. every NFL player has "potential", or they wouldnt be in the NFL.

he ranked among the worst in the NFL for missed tackles. only 5 S in the NFL had more missed tackles. 94 tackles is also much too generous. tackles are a relative stat. everyone counts them up differently. profootballfocus has him tallied at 77 with 9 assisted. regardless, when you get a million attempts and miss a whole bunch, the amount he had is alot less impressive.

and he was one of the very worst cover S in the NFL last year. Mark Roman had a better coverage season than Goldson last year. he was thrown at 6th most of any S in the NFL, and allowed a 6th worst 438 rec yds against. and despite being thrown at a ton, he only had 2 pd.

your video proves my point. its all highlights from the AZ game, and then like 4 plays outside that. i hate ragging on the guy, but when people go crazy about him, i cant help but say something.

btw click this link, and sort the columns by "Cov." scroll to the bottom, and take a look at whos there.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=S&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Goldson is developing into a star. Similarly to Vernon Davis who drops a pass or two Goldson has other very strong attributes(range, ball skills, and hard hits) that outweigh a pretty obvious negative fundamental, tackling. Hes gotten better ever year and I can only see injuries as to why that wouldn't continue.

lol and "VD drops a pass or two" is more like VD leads the NFL in drops every single season, and commits more penalties than any non OL offensive player in football.

Mays and Dashon Goldson have the potential to give the 49ers one of the more athletic safety tandems around. Goldson played well for the 49ers last season in his first year as a starter. -Sando

There was a lot written last week about the big financial decisions the 49ers likely will have to make in the next year. Young, rising stars like Vernon Davis and Dashon Goldson- Barrows

The 49ers are very excited about Goldson, who took a desired step forward last year in his first season. He is exactly what they want at the position - a rangy ball hawk who is not shy about thumping ball carriers- Barrows

Mike Singletary pointed to the development of two players - safety Dashon Goldson and outside linebacker Ahmad Brooks. Singletary said in the beginning of the year that Goldson, a first-year safety, was honing in on the receivers. Now he is watching both the receivers and the quarterback. "I think Dashon has really matured and gained more confidence as he's gotten more comfortable back there," Singletary said. Indeed, Goldson's development has to be viewed as one of the more positive developments in 2009.

and based on stats.
Antrell Rolle 72 tackles 1.5 sacks 4int and 1 ff =Highest paid safety at 7.5 mil per year

Next Question?

what is written about him is just more opinions, and what sing says is biased. you think hes going to say "dashon misses too many tackles and cant cover". of course not. its all canned responses about how much "potential" he has. every NFL player has "potential", or they wouldnt be in the NFL.

he ranked among the worst in the NFL for missed tackles. only 5 S in the NFL had more missed tackles. 94 tackles is also much too generous. tackles are a relative stat. everyone counts them up differently. profootballfocus has him tallied at 77 with 9 assisted. regardless, when you get a million attempts and miss a whole bunch, the amount he had is alot less impressive.

and he was one of the very worst cover S in the NFL last year. Mark Roman had a better coverage season than Goldson last year. he was thrown at 6th most of any S in the NFL, and allowed a 6th worst 438 rec yds against. and despite being thrown at a ton, he only had 2 pd.

your video proves my point. its all highlights from the AZ game, and then like 4 plays outside that. i hate ragging on the guy, but when people go crazy about him, i cant help but say something.

btw click this link, and sort the columns by "Cov." scroll to the bottom, and take a look at whos there.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=S&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

The official stats kept by the nfl are on this site. You should check out his official stats and an official stat comparison with other defensive backs.

He had 76 total tackles which was third best for free safeties behind Brian Dawkins and Laron Landry. He had 94 combined tackles(76 total + 18 assisted) which tied him with Louis Delmas for fourth place for free safeties behind Brian Dawkins, Jordan Babineux, and Antoine Bethea. His four interceptions tied him for 5th best among free safeties in the NFL. He also officially had 10 passes defended. That isn't an eye-popping number for the NFL, but it is still respectable. The 49ers overall didn't have any eye-popping numbers for passes defended as Dre Bly recorded 16, Shawntae Spencer recorded 12, and Tarrell Brown recorded 10. Nate Clements only recorded 8.

To act like Dashon Goldson did not have a breakout year is foolish. He had a great year in his first year as a starter. Was he a probowler? No, but he could get there in the near future. He's a well rounded safety who isn't limited to coverage or stopping the run. He is exactly what the 49ers want at the safety position.
Originally posted by 23zack80:

and based on stats.

Next Question?

The official stats kept by the nfl are on this site. You should check out his official stats and an official stat comparison with other defensive backs.

He had 76 total tackles which was third best for free safeties behind Brian Dawkins and Laron Landry. He had 94 combined tackles(76 total + 18 assisted) which tied him with Louis Delmas for fourth place for free safeties behind Brian Dawkins, Jordan Babineux, and Antoine Bethea. His four interceptions tied him for 5th best among free safeties in the NFL. He also officially had 10 passes defended. That isn't an eye-popping number for the NFL, but it is still respectable. The 49ers overall didn't have any eye-popping numbers for passes defended as Dre Bly recorded 16, Shawntae Spencer recorded 12, and Tarrell Brown recorded 10. Nate Clements only recorded 8.

To act like Dashon Goldson did not have a breakout year is foolish. He had a great year in his first year as a starter. Was he a probowler? No, but he could get there in the near future. He's a well rounded safety who isn't limited to coverage or stopping the run. He is exactly what the 49ers want at the safety position.

why is the NFL stats considered more OFFICIAL than the PFF guys? they do the same thing. its literally a group of stats guys watching gamefilm play by play and scoring it how they see it. because the guys the NFL employs see it one way it makes it better?

the point is, OFFICIALLY, Goldson still sucked at coverage if you had 2 eyes last year, and he missed tackles MUCH too frequently to have a so-called "breakout season ". give me a break....if it wasnt for the MNF game nobody would be on his nuts.

Michael Lewis and Goldson both were thrown at a TON last year, and for good reason. why do you think he got so many tackles? because his assignments had the ball in their hands alot. why does nobody realize S making tackles is usually because they didnt cover their man, not because theyre good. its the DL and LB jobs to make the tackles. it shouldnt get to the point where the S has to make the tackle unless hes in the box assigned to stop the run.

take away the AZ MNF game, and his season stats look incredibly mediocre. and thats only ONE game. people need to calm down. hes been by FAR the most overrated Niner on this board.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran

Are you really arguing that you would rather have Mark Roman in on obvious passing situations over Goldson? Goldson made some game changing plays last season and had a breakout season. He didn't give up many big plays... If him and Mays really become interchangeable at the safety positions, we could really disguise our schemes/blitzes. It's a fanboard. Nothing wrong with getting excited over a guy loaded with potential.

btw agreed that was a crappy vid. He may not have a great highlight real yet but he doesn't have a lowlight reel like Roman does.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Gholdson has a tendency to lower his shoulder and make a big hit rather than wrap up. Much the same way that Mays does...

yeah it will be interesting to see if he can fix that

but DAMN he can lay the wood
Goldson is improving. Early in the season he missed many tackles due to going for the big hit and flying out there trying to make a play instead of tackling the guy but as the season progressed he improved in that department. Is he great at it, no, not yet but its good to see the improvement he made and hope he can continue to improve. His coverage was also like that in the beginning were he was just out of place a lot a whole lot but once again that improved towards the end of the season. The guy improved from the beginning to the end and we can only hope his development continues this off season into this season.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Not surprising to me. I feel that Goldson is sorely over-hyped on this board.

-9fA

Most sports fans are simple minded. They see him make big plays and ignore the bad. Flash always wins with fans
I mean I don't think he deserves Rolle money but neither did Rolle. This league is about what you can negotiate for not what you are really worth. He had an average year last year imo. Hopefully he continues to grow. But he has the same problem Mays and Brown. They don't wrap up they just throw shoulders. I think his play was good last year and he should get better. But to say that he has arrived is very premature.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 23zack80:

and based on stats.

Next Question?

why is the NFL stats considered more OFFICIAL than the PFF guys? they do the same thing. its literally a group of stats guys watching gamefilm play by play and scoring it how they see it. because the guys the NFL employs see it one way it makes it better?

the point is, OFFICIALLY, Goldson still sucked at coverage if you had 2 eyes last year, and he missed tackles MUCH too frequently to have a so-called "breakout season ". give me a break....if it wasnt for the MNF game nobody would be on his nuts.

Michael Lewis and Goldson both were thrown at a TON last year, and for good reason. why do you think he got so many tackles? because his assignments had the ball in their hands alot. why does nobody realize S making tackles is usually because they didnt cover their man, not because theyre good. its the DL and LB jobs to make the tackles. it shouldnt get to the point where the S has to make the tackle unless hes in the box assigned to stop the run.

take away the AZ MNF game, and his season stats look incredibly mediocre. and thats only ONE game. people need to calm down. hes been by FAR the most overrated Niner on this board.

Dashon Goldson is a former fourth round pick who has become a starter in his third year as a pro and is in the top half of safeties in the NFL. I would consider that a breakout year. Unfortunately he isn't Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu so his season obviously wasn't a breakout year.

PFF "stats" should be taken with a grain of salt, they do have Vernon Davis as the 57th best tightend in the league.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
This aint a shocker. Remember in Green Bay when he went for the big hit against Greg Jennings and completely missed and knocking out one if his teammates allowing Gennings to go for 50+ yeards for the TD?

He will get better with time but he needs to get back to basics.

Quote:

Dashon Goldson is a former fourth round pick who has become a starter in his third year as a pro and is in the top half of safeties in the NFL. I would consider that a breakout year. Unfortunately he isn't Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu so his season obviously wasn't a breakout year.

PFF "stats" should be taken with a grain of salt, they do have Vernon Davis as the 57th best tightend in the league.

Wow, I think they lost all credibility with that ranking of Davis. NOt really sure what its based on, but Davis is -9.4 in run block and -1.9 in pass block. This site should never be posted ever again as proof of anything. Wow.
Originally posted by OnYouLikeGlue:
Quote:

Wow, I think they lost all credibility with that ranking of Davis. NOt really sure what its based on, but Davis is -9.4 in run block and -1.9 in pass block. This site should never be posted ever again as proof of anything. Wow.

what are you basing that opinion off of? VD WAS bad at blocking last year. did you watch our games? he was lazy when the play wasnt designed to go to him. once his offensive breakout began, he lost focus of the blocking attention he once had cared more about.

and their system takes everything into account into one. the fact that VD was a lazy blocker last year, led the NFL in dropped passes, AND in penalties is why he was rated so low. how valuable were his 13 TD receptions after he cost the team with leading the entire NFL in drops AND penalties for non OL offensive players?

hate to break it to you dude, but VD did just as much to kill our drives last year as he did to help them. usually leading the NFL in drops and penalties will knock down your good offensive season.

if you have issues with PFF, send them an email, they will explain their conclusions very thoroughly, trust me. they broke down every snap of the 49ers season, you did not.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Quote:

what are you basing that opinion off of? VD WAS bad at blocking last year. did you watch our games? he was lazy when the play wasnt designed to go to him. once his offensive breakout began, he lost focus of the blocking attention he once had cared more about.

and their system takes everything into account into one. the fact that VD was a lazy blocker last year, led the NFL in dropped passes, AND in penalties is why he was rated so low. how valuable were his 13 TD receptions after he cost the team with leading the entire NFL in drops AND penalties for non OL offensive players?

hate to break it to you dude, but VD did just as much to kill our drives last year as he did to help them. usually leading the NFL in drops and penalties will knock down your good offensive season.

if you have issues with PFF, send them an email, they will explain their conclusions very thoroughly, trust me. they broke down every snap of the 49ers season, you did not.

Come on, if you really think Davis is 57th in the league you should be arguing we trade him for backup TEs or a 4th rounder. 57th is a pretty far cry from the probowl. Either PFF is wrong or all the voters for the probowl are.

All that being said, Davis's drops and penalties are killers. Should we make it to the playoffs we won't make it far with his play. With his contract coming up, I'd hate it if they paid him like the best in the league cuz he's not.
I was just happy to see that Goldson was able to make it through the season without an injury.

Also, you have to remember that he played a lot of corner back in college... Thus, he is still learning to be a premier safety. I think that he showed a lot of signs last year that he could become one of the better safeties in the league. I hope he keeps knocking the crap out of anyone that dares to drop in.
[ Edited by amigoj49 on Jun 4, 2010 at 7:46 AM ]
Quote:

What about the year before. In 2008 he still had subpar blocking ratings by that site. Got an explanation for that?

And check out the OT ratings. How is Joe Staley 26th when his pass blocking numbers are better than the #1 rated tackle?
Share 49ersWebzone