LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 296 users in the forums

Camp battle to watch; Mays vs V. Davis!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i like mays and i think he was a steal where we got him but i think Davis would own him one on one. both are fast but vernon has about 20 or so lbs on him and i think hes much stronger.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pintor73:
taylor mays will only learn from getting his ass pounded on in practice by davis and walker 2 fast te's he'll learn how to cover them in practice and it'll help him out in long run only way to get better is to play the best, in the 80's and early 90's the niner's offense was tops but that only made our defense better we had really good defensive teams

Originally posted by Ether:
Originally posted by Pintor73:
taylor mays will only learn from getting his ass pounded on in practice by davis and walker 2 fast te's he'll learn how to cover them in practice and it'll help him out in long run only way to get better is to play the best, in the 80's and early 90's the niner's offense was tops but that only made our defense better we had really good defensive teams

poor choice of words my friend lol
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by spizzy:
I agree, but I expect Davis to have no problem going up for balls against Mays because of his apparently terrible ball skills. Mays should be able to keep up with him though.

I donot believe that Mays has terrible ball skills. When I watch him on video, he times his hits good. From the Senior Ball to our OTAs he was told to concentrate on the ball and has intercepted passes and not dropped them.
If the team is matching up the first teamers with each other, second teamers with each others and third teamers with each other, then the matchup is between Mays.........and Nate Byham.

Exhilerating.
Mays seems like an intimidating player but he has many flaws that need to be worked on. Vernon Davis would eat his lunch, as it stands.

Much of the expectations for Mays are unwarranted, but he will be a solid 2nd string player and might get a shot at first team next year. Great instincts are the key to being a great defensive player and he has his work cut out in that department. Then again, he may surprise us by making the leap this year.
Mays struggles terribly even trying to cover very average WRs. Against someone like VD, he'd probably get completely schooled. Just look at Mays at the Senior bowl. It was ugly watching him try to drop back in coverage. Unfortunately his straight-line speed doesn't translate into fluid hips and change of direction quickness.
Share 49ersWebzone