There are 252 users in the forums

Smith's poor pass percentage (STATS)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
These stats don't represent how Smith was at QB when the Niners were either up by 7 points or less or down by 7 points or less. I think his rating was in the high 50s. I posted it before but, if really needed, can find it and post it again.

Stats don't show everything. Watching the game gives you a better idea of performance under critical situations.

Actually, statistics can tell us such things.

From Elias Sports Bureau:
Alex Smith - Margin of Victory, 0 to 7 Points: 122 - 200 (61%), 6.73 YPA, 1345 Yards, 11 TD, 7 INT, 84.7 QBR
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
It doesn't matter what stats you put up, the haters will continue to hate no matter what. We just have to hope Alex plays well enough this year to shut them up.

Originally posted by redrathman:
These stats don't represent how Smith was at QB when the Niners were either up by 7 points or less or down by 7 points or less. I think his rating was in the high 50s. I posted it before but, if really needed, can find it and post it again.

Stats don't show everything. Watching the game gives you a better idea of performance under critical situations.

Alex Smith - Margin of Victory, 0 to 7 Points: 122 - 200 (61%), 6.73 YPA, 1345 Yards, 11 TD, 7 INT, 84.7 QBR

Also you can find it on NFL.com > Stats > Situational Stats.

I think Joe is referring to Alex's stats for being behind 1-8 points and trying to come back...

54 for 28 (51.9%) 404 yards 1-TD 4-INT 51.8 QB Rate...

Hopefully Alex will improve in this area...

Stats link
Originally posted by D_Niner:

I think Joe is referring to Alex's stats for being behind 1-8 points and trying to come back...

Stats link

If that's the situation Joe's talking about, I agree. The 9ers had a chance to win in the Houston, Greenbay, and Tennessee late in the game, but fell short each time.
Hopefully that improves this year.
[ Edited by Godsleftsock on May 26, 2010 at 11:53 AM ]

So he's talking about 54 passing attempts out of 372 last season?

I don't even know how to express my disbelief.
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:

Stats link

If that's the situation Joe's talking about, I agree. The 9ers had a chance to win in the Houston, Greenbay, and Tennessee late in the game, but fell short each time.
f**king Parys Haralson.

considering the best QB's to ever have played this game are generally known to really separate themselves from the pack in this stat....I would say your disbelief is very perplexing to me
Originally posted by Method:

Stats link

f**king Parys Haralson.

Actually, yeah. I remember being super pissed at Haralson that game.
[ Edited by Godsleftsock on May 26, 2010 at 12:31 PM ]
Originally posted by danimal:

considering the best QB's to ever have played this game are generally known to really separate themselves from the pack in this stat....I would say your disbelief is very perplexing to me

Yeah just like Farve and Manning did this past season in the playoffs...

Stats link

f**king Parys Haralson.

Actually, yeah. I remember being super pissed at Haralson that game.[/quote]

my poor tv remote took the hit when haralson missed that tackle on 4th and goal
parys i hate you

Stats link

f**king Parys Haralson.

Actually, yeah. I remember being super pissed at Haralson that game.
...and yet soooo many are quick to say manny is the weakness at OLB...
no way manny gives up the edge in that situation. it's not a coincidence that when teams had success running to the outside it was usually to the left.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
How exactly do they classify an "off-target pass"? While we did have several drops last year, I think making the reciever work for it is an off-target pass, while they may consider anything "catchable" as being on target... Regardless, it was a good stat to see, and very suprising when I read it...

It doesn't really matter how they classify it if they apply the same standards to every QB they rated.
Don't forget about some of the games we DID win. Most of those games were all Gore and our Defense. Even a lot of the passes were to Gore. Alex's yards per completion aren't all that great which helps the "accuracy" stat a little more when your RB is the leading or second leading receiver for a few games.

Don't you guys remember all of the conversations we had immediately following the games? Smith only played decent when we were ahead and the further we were ahead, the better he played.

Let's all hope that he plays that well even when we need him but I don't recall one time he played well when we needed it...not once last season. A lot of it could be play calling but then the same argument could be made for Hill or JTO, so that defense should be ruled out.
Don't forget about some of the games we DID win. Most of those games were all Gore and our Defense. Even a lot of the passes were to Gore. Alex's yards per completion aren't all that great which helps the "accuracy" stat a little more when your RB is the leading or second leading receiver for a few games.

Don't you guys remember all of the conversations we had immediately following the games? Smith only played decent when we were ahead and the further we were ahead, the better he played.

Let's all hope that he plays that well even when we need him but I don't recall one time he played well when we needed it...not once last season. A lot of it could be play calling but then the same argument could be made for Hill or JTO, so that defense should be ruled out.

Thats what drives me mad on this forum. Months later everybody forgets, then it is just how some stat can support the view they desperately want to cling on to
Share 49ersWebzone