LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

What has Sing done since he became head coach to be a better coach?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I mean really. The dude is a great motivator, has great character and all that, but is he learning anything about time management? Has he learned more about the offense, or has he simply told Jimmy R to run the offense and spare him the details?
Great question, we will see this season if he has done his homework this off season!
personally, i like coach sing, and yes i think we se some of the sillier mistakes get ironed out this season...nobody is going to be perfect there first season as cheif whistle blower...just look at nolan he was actually ok at first at got progressively worse.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
He stop pulling his pants down.
Sing is not someone who will make the same mistakes twice.

If he was not so detail oriented, I would worry.
I doubt anybody here would be able to answer that.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

Singletary is a lot like Nolan but Nolan wouldn't admit he made a mistake. It was his way or the highway which is like Singletary but Singletary just knows his players better. So far I think you are right in that Singletary will admit to being wrong and correct his mistakes.

Edit: He will have to work on his X's and O's though and game management though.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on May 23, 2010 at 9:58 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

Singletary is a lot like Nolan but Nolan wouldn't admit he made a mistake. It was his way or the highway which is like Singletary but Singletary just knows his players better. So far I think you are right in that Singletary will admit to being wrong and correct his mistakes.

Edit: He will have to work on his X's and O's though and game management though.

Nolan made the same glaring mistakes multiple times, the biggest one imo was not benching that clown JTO much sooner.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
The first example I can think of is when he gave up the "bloody their noses" with the running game approach in favor of the spread last season, when the former wasn't working.

So, it shows that he is open to change. Moreover, he is willing to make that change on the fly if it means winning a game. Did he draft for the power running game? Absolutely. It's what he knows. But the fact that he was willing to depart from it shows a ton. It means his ego didn't get in the way.
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
I mean really. The dude is a great motivator, has great character and all that, but is he learning anything about time management? Has he learned more about the offense, or has he simply told Jimmy R to run the offense and spare him the details?

Trust me, he has spent time getting better. Progress is in this guys nature! He flew out here to have dinner/lunch to sit down with the great Bill Walsh and you think he is satisfied with his current abilities? He wants to be great at everything he does! He is the example, he is the motivator, and he will be a champion!

Trust me...

Originally posted by RogerCraig:

Are you serious? I mean, you don't remember our situation when Sing took over mid-season. Our team was in complete dysfunctional mode. I remember being f@#king miserable at the time. I can't believe you would say that about someone who is doing such a great job. How much better is this team since he took over? Do you think the galvanized team we have now is a fluke? I really believe that when he retires he'll go out as one of the best coaches in the NFL. All coaches make mistakes. The objective is to learn from them. He plays to his strength and surrounds himself with a staff that doesn't need to have their hands held like toddlers. The team we have now is light years better than the one in place when he took over as coach.

We should be supporting our coach, not criticizing. If you think Sing is not going to continue to evolve into a great coach you are sadly mistaken.
What has he done? I ask what can he do?

It's well established that Singletary picked the brain of every coach that would give him the face time including the likes of Bill Walsh. I don't know what he can do to get better at this point except coach more games and get more experience.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
It's hard to be a better in game coach when you're not in game. But I like how he has focused on all of our inherent weaknesses during the offseason with the drafting of the olinemen and the focus that he's putting on punt returns. In past years both of the areas would have been ignored.
Originally posted by BobS:
He stop pulling his pants down.

this...

...we hope
first off. he was a ton better than just about any couch we have had this decade. exceptions of mooch but mooch was handed greatness when he was handed the niners and look how he did when he went to the lions .. and now he not a coach anymore. but that is not the debate. he was a rookie last year. not many head coaches are really successful there first season. he did nothing but make this team better in every single aspect. got continuity and he is part of it. he is all for winning and making this team better. from OTA's this year already it seems like he has learned to not be so contact with his players during practice. that is signs of growth. he will make him self better because this man wakes up and pisses excellence. dont doubt him. watch him. he leads by example.

btw.. your suppose to support your coach. not hate on him
Share 49ersWebzone