LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Are we getting our hopes up?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Ask yourself:

Which team in the NFC West is most talented, top to bottom?

New Orleans easily.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
I've had high hopes even in Dennis Erickson's second year!
Originally posted by oldman9er:
My hopes are high, and here is why:

- I genuinely think we are heading in the right direction from an 8-8 season. Our team had a QB change during the season... massive OL and scheme problems... lots of drops and some close losses last year.... and STILL, we went 8-8. We have since squared away the QB spot... finally kept continuity... added a new OL coach and two 1st round OL... added speed to the secondary... added kick/punt return options... and our young guys have more chemistry and experience. Add to that, the Cardinals simply must be significantly weaker with the losses of Bolden, Warner, and Dansby. So yes, I see no reason that we can not win 2-3 more games this time around and be solid playoff contenders.

- I put my faith out there for my team regardless of the disappointments that may come. To not do so for fear of being emotionally crushed is just flat-out weak + cowardly. Don't be afraid to have high hopes for your team. If they fail, they fail... but the team really does look ready to improve on 8-8, and there's no good reason not to get your hopes up.

Originally posted by KRS-1:
Ask yourself:

New Orleans easily.

*edit* my sarcasm meter done broke
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on May 21, 2010 at 3:23 PM ]
Ask yourself:

New Orleans easily.

Ask yourself:

New Orleans easily.

? I sense sarcasm ?
Ask yourself:

New Orleans easily.

lel, i remember those days.. in the nfc west.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
If we don't make the playoffs I will put a fishing hook through my nut sack.

Im quoting this jsut so you cant go back and edit it
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Well, don't be surprised if none of those guys start either....and even if they do.....there is a saying in the NFL, for every rookie starting, you guaranteed 1 loss each just on them.

So, if you consider the Niners to be a 8-8 team, add in 3 rookie starters and it is very possible they go 5-11 instead

i've never heard that saying before

Neither have i

There's truth in what Danimal says -- and there's always an exception to every rule.

Exception #1: Bill Walsh plugged three rookies and a waiver wire castoff into the defensive backfied in 1981 -- and the Niners promptly ran the table and won the Super Bowl.

Of course -- we had Joe Montana back then. Now -- we have Alex Smith.

There is a difference.

Thank you.

And Actually the formula I described has been proven. But its not as damning as what I overall meant to convey.

At no point in history has any NFL team ever had less losses than they had rookie starters.

So if the 49ers were to start 3 rookies in 2010...and if they finished 14-2 or better they would be the first team in history to ever have done that.

What it is meant to convey is that 13-3 would represent the absolute ceiling for a team with 3 rookie starters.

the 2004 Steelers had 3 rookie starters and finished the season 15-1

OK. Well it is something that I heard during a sports cast of a game once. It may have been before 2004. And I am not even sure if that is true about the Steelers that year....but MAJOR props to you if it is for blowing that little factoid outta the water.

Anyway, I still stand by my bottom line. That is generally speaking rookies don't help teams very much.

The raper was a starter and they had a rookie starting at NT and A rookie starting at KR. I know that last one really doesnt count but still
I will not have any hope until Alex Smith is replaced. I would be surprised if the niners win a playoff game or make it to the playoffs with Mr. Smith under center.

are you getting your hopes down?
We should be getting our hopes up. We will be better than last year and the other teams in our division got worse.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ibleedgoldnred:
Ask yourself:

New Orleans easily.

? I sense sarcasm ?

How is that sarcasm....The Aints and the Dirty Birds are clearly the best teams in the West then it's us while the LA Rams wallow in the mire. I just don't think Jimmy Everett lights the Rams fire this year.
Originally posted by Ibleedgoldnred:
Ask yourself:

New Orleans easily.

? I sense sarcasm ?

How is that sarcasm....The Aints and the Dirty Birds are clearly the best teams in the West then it's us while the LA Rams wallow in the mire. I just don't think Jimmy Everett lights the Rams fire this year.
Dont you mean Chris
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
If we don't make the playoffs I will put a fishing hook through my nut sack.

Barbless, right?
Share 49ersWebzone