LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 393 users in the forums

Baalke promoted to V.P. of Player Personnel

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I thought he had an excellent draft and I don't mind him getting the job. I think it's the right move.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I thought he had an excellent draft and I don't mind him getting the job. I think it's the right move.

I think hell just froze over.
It really sounds like we're pulling a Minnesota Vikings type of deal, where the GM is literally just going to be a 'figurehead' type, and the V.P.P.P is the guy who really calls the shots behind the scenes.

But I hope Baalke is still the 'trigger-man' in our draft war-room for years to come, cause that guy truly looks like he's the only one (on draft day) who knows what the f**k he's doing.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Good for Baalke. But I never understood exactly what the difference is supposed to be betweeen a GM and the VP of player personnel.

I don't think there is much of a difference with the way the Niner front office is structured. I think so long as he's not called the "General Manager" they don't need to worry about the "Rooney Rule".

Good point bout the Rooney rule.

MaioccoCSN NFL confirms 49ers complied with Rooney Rule. Candidates requested confidentiality, and league office verified their identities, NFL says.
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
So technically that leaves room for a new GM

I guess they may be waiting for Matt Millen to be tanned and rested.

JK.
Good for Baalke. But I never understood exactly what the difference is supposed to be betweeen a GM and the VP of player personnel.

In this case it's cause Baalke doesn't know the financial side of things well enough to be a GM. The roles are not identical, there is a clear difference within the organization.

This promotion and title had nothing to do with the Rooney rule.
Good for Baalke..

I am more concerned with the hiring of Joel Patten as our National Scouting guy. He comes from the Rams and the main reason the Rams suck so bad right now is becuase they have drafted so poorly and have so few good players to show for all their high draft picks.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Good for Baalke..

I am more concerned with the hiring of Joel Patten as our National Scouting guy. He comes from the Rams and the main reason the Rams suck so bad right now is becuase they have drafted so poorly and have so few good players to show for all their high draft picks.

That doesn't mean much when he wasn't the guy pulling the trigger (Jay Zygmunt, a former accountant and lawyer was).

As Director of College Scouting, he'll be ask to gather information throughout the year and provide input on players prior to the NFL Combine.
Originally posted by redrathman:
Good for Baalke..

That doesn't mean much when he wasn't the guy pulling the trigger (Jay Zygmunt, a former accountant and lawyer was).

As Director of College Scouting, he'll be ask to gather information throughout the year and provide input on players prior to the NFL Combine.

Plus he was with the Rams for only last year.
Good move by the 49ers!

Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Good for Baalke..

Plus he was with the Rams for only last year.

OK, I feel better now. That is good intel. Even good people get caught up in bad situations sometimes.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by boast:

I thought this was just a pic until he started blinking LOL

That's friggin creepy . . . .

was thinking the same thing

Please, don't cry tears of blood....

Share 49ersWebzone