LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

Clements Forfeits $500K Workout Bonus

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I wouldn't put that much into it guys. 500k seems like A LOT of money to us, but this guy, whether you agree with it or not, is one of the highest paid defenders in the league. 500k probably isn't a huge amount to him... or rather... Working out on his own is worth giving up 500k.

I believe he's doing what he's supposed to be doing though. I'm sure he didn't like being benched, but the only solution to that is to make yourself a better player so it doesn't happen again.

I see guys all over the league skip workouts so they can work out on their own.
I would gladly take his place for the money, and I could use the exercise.
Idiot?

Sounds like a grown man making a personal decision that involves calculated risk.

Its called adulthood. Nobody here has the information necessary to know that this is a bad move
Originally posted by danimal:
Idiot?

Sounds like a grown man making a personal decision that involves calculated risk.

Its called adulthood. Nobody here has the information necessary to know that this is a bad move

This.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Idiot?

Dude is losing half a mil just to workout on his own. That's all the facts I need.
$500 K is not that much to him and he wants to continue rehabbing his shoulder with his own trainers and his own workout routine. I believe he can still be a good player for us this year. His cap # next year is probably too high to keep him unless he takes a reduction.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Redeemer:
This is why:

"One prominent NFL agent said it is not uncommon for players to forfeit large workout bonuses to train on their own.

'I've had players who think they can get in better shape and improve their play by working out on their own, and that will lead to bigger contracts down the road,' the agent said."

Clements wont be getting many more contracts. But i see the point
Originally posted by susweel:
Idiot?

Dude is losing half a mil just to workout on his own. That's all the facts I need.

Well if it makes you feel better to just assume that he is a retard by all means, keep thinking that.

Myself I would rather admit that I am completely ignorant to his position because it is so far from my own reality. However, I would assume...that there is compelling reason to believe he is trying to increase his longevity, and thus his long term earning power...in a way that only this program can provide
with 80 mill.. whats 500k to him.. i hope he starts again
Originally posted by TheGame9850:

he will. He's still the best CB we have.

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

The answer is really very simple. He would a workout progrom specializing in conditioning to prevent injuries while returning punts. He's being careful in case Singletary has that stupid idea again - BUT he can't say why he's doing it, because he doesn't want to risk putting that stupid idea back into Singletary's head.

Trying to avoid another season-ending injury? Yeah i would say that is worth 500k!
Great that he is working out. However, I hope he does not tip his hand and shows off too much to Fitzgerald or he WILL GET TOASTED.

Share 49ersWebzone