There are 161 users in the forums

Clements Forfeits $500K Workout Bonus

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't see the big deal. He'd rather workout on his own, instead of hitting the 9er conference room for a P90X session.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I don't see the big deal. He'd rather workout on his own, instead of hitting the 9er conference room for a P90X session.

bahahahah

This. I'm hoping that Nate comes up huge this year.
Nate Clements- $500,000K
Shawntae Spencer- $100,000K
Manny Lawson- $31,720K
500k for 4 days? what an idiot, who gives up that kinda money, i just dont get it. couldnt he just show up to camp and do his workout program a week after?
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
500k for 4 days? what an idiot, who gives up that kinda money, i just dont get it. couldnt he just show up to camp and do his workout program a week after?

lol. he's made a lot more than that already. its a lot of money but its not like he's hurting for cash.

he feels that working out on his own and getting ready for the season is more important than the money. i don't see why people are upset by this.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,100 for okdkid.
I'll take it.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by TX9R:
Pretty sure he knows about the bonus. I think he's trying to make a statement about being unhappy or disrespected which is not a good sign.

You could be right but I also think he just likes to workout on his own which is doing so in Arizona and supposedly working out as hard as ever. Plus while 500k is a nice chunk of change, Clements has made several millions of dollars over his career and I don't think it will hurt his wallet.

True but I'm sure he feels real slighted that he got benched, and I'm sure he's heard all the fans calling for him to move to safety. I think that's a big part of it as well as he just like to workout in Arizona. Plus 500,000 would be about 150,000 after taxes.

Not sure if he works out with Fitz or not. Nothing weird about it atll. It's a job for these guys they work out with whoever they are cool with regardless of team. And a few years ago Rice was in Ari working out with Fitz and I think a few other wr's.

Well I hope he does play with a chip on his shoulder this year and shows he is still a very good CORNERBACK in this league. Plus he is not only playing to show his critics or haters than he can play, but chances are he won't be with the 49ers next season so he is showcasing himself for the rest of the league and playing for a job next year.

Yea we could use him and Manny playing with chips on their shoulders regardless if they have a longer future with the team or not. i think Nate will have a huge chip on his shoulder
But I thought these were non-mandatory meetings...they still get fined? Then there is NO question Lawson is holding out for more money at this point (given he's losing it and is the only one who hasn't spoken to Singletary). We don't even know if he's working out at all. Whatever Spencer did last year to suddenly become our #1 CB, I'm all for it!

Clements though? If you're going to take a 500,000 hit just to avoid a few OTA's? That's very interesting. You could still attend the OTA's AND hire a personal trainer for way less then 500,000.

Something is up there that we don't know about. Could this be the mark that the team is looking to Brown to be the starter and alerted him to that?

lol you funny dawg you funny

Originally posted by NCommand:
But I thought these were non-mandatory meetings...they still get fined? Then there is NO question Lawson is holding out for more money at this point (given he's losing it and is the only one who hasn't spoken to Singletary). We don't even know if he's working out at all. Whatever Spencer did last year to suddenly become our #1 CB, I'm all for it!

Clements though? If you're going to take a 500,000 hit just to avoid a few OTA's? That's very interesting. You could still attend the OTA's AND hire a personal trainer for way less then 500,000.

Something is up there that we don't know about. Could this be the mark that the team is looking to Brown to be the starter and alerted him to that?

its not a fine, its just a bonus he won't collect if he doesn't go to all the voluntary meetings. they always throw things in like that to encourage players to go to stuff like that but also to inflate the contract for the players ego and also the front offices management of the salary cap.
With the money we saved, can we please buy back Zak Keasey?
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
With the money we saved, can we please buy back Zak Keasey?

this. a thousand times, this!
Originally posted by NCommand:

Its not really a fine, they just don't collect that bonus money.

And I can't remember Clements ever missing an OTA before. Considering how last year ended for him (being demoted then injured), I think its obvious he's upset. But I don't necessarily think that means he's been told Brown will be a starter.
Turning down half-a-million dollars in this economy when so many are losing their jobs, their homes and their businesses!

We all know money is relative - 500k to him is not 500k to us.
My questions to you all are:

1). Was he worth the money he signed for? If "Yes" or "No" please expalin.

2). If we traded him before the deadline [whenever that is] could we get something really valuable in return and what would that be?

Thanks!
Share 49ersWebzone